CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Chantho

Depressed State Led to Neglect (Potential TW)

For a couple weeks I went into a pretty bad depressed state. Things started falling apart around me. The house started looking worse and worse. I stopped showering. Worst of all, though, it affected my boys. I stopped caring for them properly. I kept them in clean clothes and fed them, but I wasn't bathing them regularly, and I stopped brushing their teeth. I basically feel like scum now. Please tell me this doesn't make me a horrible parent. 

It doesn't make you a horrible parent. Parenting is hard. Patenting with depression is harder. I worry all of the time. My kids are teens now and I can honestly say they are healthier and much happier than I was. My house is cluttered, but we are fine. IT is normal to worry but don't beat yourself up. you care because you are a good parent.

If it makes you feel better, sometimes I don't even do those things for my kids when I'm not depressed :D

No, as long as they are healthy, happy, and safe, you are fine.  Take care of yourself.