CrazyBoards.org

Aaargghh! Effexor!

Okay, so  I've been on interferon combo therapy for the last year, and in the middle of it, they put me on effexor. I got up to 300mg during treatment.

I've always been a bit OCD, with ataxaphobia and anxiety issues, but coped fine without meds or treatment. I just had a seriously clean house and not much of a social life. During treatment I was bedridden, and hubby just doesn't CLEAN like I do. Plus, we moved in the middle, so aahhghgh! I was scratching myself bloody from nervousness, but couldn't get away from it, so hooray for effexor.

I finished chemo a coupla months ago, and my docs cut me back to 150mg. Still, I've been seriously manic and sleeping only once every few days. Since I've  gained back some physical strength, aspects of OCD have started to manifest, though not as badly. Still, hubby chided me for spending six hours cleaning the tub so I could bathe.

My docs won't take me any lower!!!!!

They say I need to stay on something 'til all meds from treatment clear my system (about six months), and OCD is coming back and mania, and I've tried nearly everything else I can. A nurse advised me to smoke pot! I live in the SOUTH, for crissakes! Where'm'I gonna get that? "Oh, we won't adjust your meds, just go break the law, ho hum..."

I can't handle this. My husband is going nuts. My family always thinks I'm arguing when I'm not! My kitties can't even hang any more!

Options? Anybody? Maybe I could split capsules? Another drug?

Rx = Maxalt 10mg, Topomax 100mg, Zyrtec 10mg, Levothyroxine 10mcg, Phenergan 25mg, Darvocet N 100 tab., Doxycyclin HYC Ambien as needed (stopped <i>that</i> crap last month - blackouts)

Just came off Procrit 40mg, Neupogen ?(infusion), interferon-alpha (daily injection 15 mg), ribavirin 200mg, hydrocodone 7.5mg - about six weeks ago.

I don't get it. ;) Have they given you any other reason than you "to stay on something 'til all meds from treatment clear your system"? Are they trying to prevent you from slipping into a depression? Do you have any idea if there is some other reason why they are so resistant to this change?

Just clueless myself. Wish I knew something to say that could help.

revlow

I don't get it. ;) Have they given you any other reason than you "to stay on something 'til all meds from treatment clear your system"? Are they trying to prevent you from slipping into a depression? Do you have any idea if there is some other reason why they are so resistant to this change?

Just clueless myself. Wish I knew something to say that could help.

revlow

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think so. Depression is the main side effect of interferon (not for me, oh joy), and they worry about taking folks off anti-anxiety meds and the like. I ended up with a staph infection after gouging my palms in the last OCD/anxiety bout, so they are being "cautious". Since the OCD is manifest (only a smidgen! I just like a clean house is all) they won't let me stop it. A lot of stuff is out 'cause of interactions or hepatic issues, but I'd love to switch. Unfortunately, a lot of other options they tried didn't work or had icky sides, and I can't remember which was which now.

<Sigh>

Gosh...I'm so sorry. Obviously, you've got a bunch of tangled issues going on. The good news though is that you're through with chemo. Yea!!!

I hope things get better, and/or that your docs can figure out something to help.

Sorry I couldn't give you anything more useful. One last Q: have they ever had you on lamictal?

take care,

revlow

Wingsngr,

Being in the south doesn't matter for getting pot.  You can get weed ANYWHERE.  Hee hee.  Seriously though, doctors don't prescribe it in your state I am guessing.  And you probably don't have access to a 'compassion club' kinda place where you can bring in your prescription and they will give you the right strain for your ailment.  You should move to Canada!! ;)

I don't have a prescription cause I live in the middle of nowhere and there aren't even enough gp's for people here.  But I smoke weed and it definately helps with that manic egdy feeling.  Of course, you have to get an indica for that, the sativa strains will make you more edgy.  A common trouble for people who are prescribed pot and don't have access to the proper variety.  Sativas are great for depression though.  They get the cement out of your head.

Of course, I am not recommending you do anything illegal.  I just couldn't help praising pot after noticing that your nurse recommended it.  That is lovely.

Of course, it is a drug like any other and is not for everyone.

If you ever did manage to try the pot route I would only recommend it if you knew what kind you are getting and where it came from.  And that is pretty hard if you are not a chronic pot head or have access to prescriptions and compassion clubs.

The pot would have been great while you were in chemo too.  That is one of the biggest issues it is prescribed for.

Anyhoo, I am not familiar with most of the meds you are on.  Probably because I am Canadian and the names are different.  But how are you for mood stablizers and whatnot?  To combat the mania? 

Good Lord, I hope you don't have any anxiety problems because pot could make those ONE BILLION TIMES WORSE!!!....not to say you'd do pot, just commenting on the above comments.

May I ask why they want "all meds cleared" from your system???  That doesn't sound too humane to me.  If that is your only option, I would inquire about a benzo to help you through the transition.....gah I'm praying for you.

Good news about the chemo.  Don't know from personal experience, but I watched a few family members go thru that.  You must be one tough lady :-)

Hang in there!  We are here to listen!!!!!!

Archived