CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Hester

Any ladies had amenorrhea?

I haven't had my menstrual period for 3 months now (sorry if TMI) and it's starting to freak me out a bit!

I'm definitely not pregnant.

I don't know what it is - I have never had this happen before.

I'm not on any different meds - just Lithium right now.

I recently moved abroad, but I have been through so many MUCH more stressful times in my life & never had this problem, so I don't think it's that.

I told the dr and he said to wait another month (!) and it was probably just stress.

I'd like to start a family soon, so this is really unwelcome.

Just wondering if anyone has had this happen, how long it took to come back, and why it happened to you (if due to MI/stress/MI meds).

Anything would be of interest.

Hi, ZoeD - 

I've had this happen several times when my weight gets too low and i'm under a lot of stress. Hard to say if any meds were involved, as they have changed. The doc always chalked it up to stress, and it always came back. The longest it's lasted for has been two months.  It's happened to a lot of women i've known at least once.  So many factors could be involved. It's good you've told your doc, hang in there!

Mine was because I was working a very physically demanding job and I could not eat enough to maintain my weight. It didn't take much weight loss for me as the massive energy expenditure. A few months after I left that job it came back.

The second time was for the same reason.

Low weight, sudden weight loss, even if the total amount of weight lost was not very great, and stress have all done it for me. And I have a genetic predisposition to irregular periods anyway, which I'm sure doesn't help.

Here's a little fun fact that has bitten a lot of women on the ass over the course of generations: you can still get knocked up even if your period is irregular. Surprise!

Edited by Gearhead
Typo

That just happened to me. I went without a period for 3 1/2 months until about a week ago. And it came back with a vengeance! Dear god. I feel like it was building up all that time. The worst period I've ever had in my life.

No particular reason for it happening. I'm otherwise pretty healthy. I've gone without periods for 2~ months quite a few times, it's just how my body works.

Thanks everyone.

I've had no weight loss and I don't feel any more stressed than normal, so who knows what has caused it - glad to hear I'm not the only one, and that it does come back, in your experiences!

If I go to 4 months, I'll go back to the doctor.

Hopefully it will appear soon - never actually hoped for a period in my life, lol

Yes, Para, I am kind of dreading what it will be like when it finally makes an appearance!

I have always had problems with lack of periods, I went for a year once without one. Finally went on birth control pills to regulate it, didn't quuuuiiiittte take them regularly, and tada! My first child.

After my second and third child, it became more regular, who knows why. But now it's back to being wonky again.

You're not alone.

Keep in mind that amenorrhea can be a side effect of medication. If you are taking an atypical antipsychotic, it can cause hyperprolactinemia which stops your period. They can check your prolactin level with a blood test.

Thank you so much everyone! It seems that just as many of you predicted, it reappeared: today!!

I'm so pleased!

Want to start trying for a baby this month now it's back. Awesome!

Though now that's going to mean a new drug cocktail. Not so much fun.