CrazyBoards.org

I can spend minutes on end rocking side to side or back and forth a times. Standing, sitting or at times laying on my side in bed. I'm not too sure why I do it but I think it helps calm me if I get anxious and worry; I can just close my eyes and rock and I feel a calming rush overcome me, cooling me. I can't do it around other people, I think. I don't want them to see, sort of, how far I've gone. I haven't actually told anyone about it yet and I don't think no one has noticed it; I'm quite careful when I do it. Sometimes I do it whilst listening to music because it can sort of mimic a bit of head bobbing. Been doing it a lot since February.

Not really too sure why I'm making this topic now. Anyone else here a rocker? Does it help you, or is it a bane of your existence? Could you stop if you wanted to?

SD, when I am extremely depressed I tend to  rock.  It pushes all other senses away.  I will curl up in bed, pillows over my head, heavy covers that I can feel a weight on my body and rock. I will usually start rocking when I am crying and keep going till I am exhausted and fall asleep. 

I find it incredibly calming.  If I am deep enough into a depressive episode, no I cannot stop.

During the day I am more of a double leg bouncer, not a head rocker.  More so when I am hypo/manic.

Sounds as if you are also using this same method though out your day.  If your are concerned I would speak with your Pdoc. Even if you not overly concerned I would bring it up.  So times the things we do or the coping skill we develop can help a Pdoc treat you. 

Good luck with the Risperidone

I suppose I should really mention it, won't be one of the easiest things to talk about, I think. Not sure why. There's a couple of things I want to mention but - pah!- it's the timing of it all! Annoying. Thanks for the reply.

I think they're a little stuck with what to diagnose me with. I guess if I respond well to risperidone then things will be a little clearer for everyone. Keeping an open mind, glass half full mentality to it all, even if it doesn't go well.

I rock all the time. A lot when I'm talking on the phone and can't pace. I'm not really autistic, although I was once diagnosed with traits, so I don't know where it comes from. 

Anyway, good luck to you, SD! I hope you find what you're looking for.

I tell my Pdoc and Tdoc all kinds of really weird shit. I figure they have heard and seen it all.

I had some very odd and disturbing behaviors. They didn't bat an eye, and it helped with my DX and meds by telling them. Ha I thought I was unique, not so much. Lol

Edited by dragonfly23

Touché, Dragonfly. I've been able to tell him - and my family members to a lesser extent so much, that I've been keeping secret for years, things which are much more of a bigger deal than this, much weirder to the normies. Everyone I've met in the CMHT has been really nice to me I shouldn't have too much of a problem with it, outside of the usual momentary complete breakdowns of thought and speech that tends to happen.

Thank you for sharing and also the kind words, Siggmin, I hope so too. :)

I rock. I've rocked since childhood. Like you I find it soothing and calming. I've filled my apartment with rocking chairs so that I can rock even if people come over :)

or I try to find the chairs in restaurants that aren't even and I try to balance on the three. Also works in public.

I really wish that this activity wasn't stigmatised because it feels so wonderful.

I've always wanted a rocking chair, I think they're so underrated! 

I agree with wishing it doesn't so stigmatised because it's amazing how many "normal" people do it as well. Thinking about it now if leaning back whilst sitting on a chair counts as rocking then so many people used to do it in school. That's kinda interesting to think about.

I read that a theory of why people do it is because it sort of simulates the motion experienced during being in the womb. Not sure if I agree with that but it's as good as any theory, I suppose.

All the time. I get restless when I sit still or stand still. For example, right now I'm sitting in my office and I'm moving side to side on my chair (it spins). Side to side and back and forth. I'm pretty sure I do it in front of people. No one's ever said anything about it except for my mom. She said that I'd probably rock my baby to sleep all the time with all the rocking I do (I was standing up and swaying side to side). 

It relieves the restlessness for me and also soothes me. Otherwise I feel like crawling out of my skin or like there's a million teeny tiny bugs crawling underneath my skin. It feels like mild akethesia. 

I'm on the autism spectrum and I have ADHD so either one could cause that for me and my bf thinks I have restless leg syndrome since I never stop moving my legs.  

Edited by iaawal

I've had people tell me that theory about the womb before. I also love trains because it's the same sort of movement.

I love rocking in rocking chairs too.  It is very calming for me.

I rock when I am depressed or manic. When depressed it is calming, and when I am manic it is because I can't stop moving.

My brother and sister rock.  I'm more of a swing girl.  I love the motion as it calms me right down.  My husband bought me a three seater outdoor swing that I can lay down on. 

If it helps, Rock on!

Rocking is actually good for you, according to my yoga instructors. We actually do a lot of rocking between poses and whatnot, on the ground, knees to the body, back and forth, side to side. It helps relax your back. It's something most people did as a child, and its soothing. We don't do a lot of motions we did when we were children, as adults. I rock a lot at home, too. This is just what I got from yoga, I can't guarantee its 100% correct, but its something we do a lot at yoga (rock in different ways) and it feels really good. 

The rocking exercise in a Pilates workout is among my favorites.  

And if there is any concern about it, the most intelligent person in my life arc was a rocker.  Philosophy/Math/Music major, at a high-flyin' liberal arts college.

She was not the slightest bit defensive about  rocking...if it works, do it.

Interesting to think that rocking might be physically good for you too. Well, anything but sitting still for long periods of time probably is! I would if the positive feeback you get from rocking is actually sent from your back instead of your brain. If that makes any sense.

It's surprising (but reassuring) how common this seems to be.

I also rock sometimes -- although I was diagnosed as mildly autistic, I wonder if I might do it anyway even if I weren't. It is soothing and centering and does seem to help dealing with various things from anxiety to intense unpleasant emotions to general overstimulation. I agree with those wishing it would not be stigmatised.

Rocking chairs sound wonderful. (One day...)