CrazyBoards.org

Which antidepressant is the best?

Which drug has helped the most with your depression? I've sort of given up on SSRIs (even though I've only been on Prozac) because I've heard they all numb your emotions and I don't want this, but if you've heard/experienced otherwise, which SSRI was it? As for the other ADs, well.. I'm looking for a drug that doesn't emotionally numb you or affect creativity or cognition, one that still allows moodswings and having normal emotions and stuff but just takes away the feeling of wanting to die so much. Just takes away those feelings of guilt and worthlessness. I think I'm having a relapse and my pdoc told me if I wanted to try another AD I could. I'm just wondering which one.

EDIT:

Please don't move this board. I know it belongs in the medication section but there are two boards for antidepressants and I don't know which one to put this on.

I've only been on two, Effexor and Zoloft...but I can tell you that for me, Effexor is 8 billion times better.  Maybe you could ask your pdoc for a non-SSRI, it could just be that serotonin tweaking just isn't all you need.  I love my 'fex, although my boyfriend likes Welbutrin, but I wouldn't ask for Welbutrin unless you don't have any anxiety problems...

hmmm, hope this helps.  Hang in there!  Just remember, you are lucky to be getting help at your young age.  I am 25 and have been depressed and suicidal since age 11.  I only wish someone would have recognized my problems sooner.  Good Luck diamond!  Let us know how you do!!! ;)

Wellbutrin

Honestly though, you're gonna get a thousand different answers and you won't know which one is right for you until you try it.

I know that's not the answer you wanted, but it's the most accurate one, I believe

For me, wb puts me in a place where I don't feel totally numbed out to things going on around me.  I still have some pretty low days but they're few and far between, and it allows me to work on getting better.

I've been on Zoloft, (made me so numb that I constantly self-injured, and eventually ended up in a hospital for almost killing myself,) Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, (very briefly,) and the TCA Anafranil. And I have yet to find one that works for me. Though I have been on Lamictal for a little while now, and it's got me feeling better than any of the AD's ever did. But, like Somewhat Damaged said, you're likely to get a different answer from everyone, and "you won't know which one is right for you until you try it."

I know it sucks to have to try different meds out when you're feeling so crappy; and I really hope you can find a med very soon that works well. Lots of luck to you.

Archived