Nortriptyline , anybody have success?

My doctor is pulling a tricyclic out of the air for my impossible to treat anhedonia/lack of motivation. He's starting me on a tiny dose of nortriptyline 10mg twice per day.

Any luck with this med for your depression? Am I likely to get any relief at this dose or will it have to likely be upped? 20mg seems so tiny :/ ...

I was on a paxil beforehand with no luck, I'm hoping this gives me some energy without putting me on the edge like paxil.

I took this back in the day. It didn't help me and left me dysphoric. That was before we realized that I don't do well on meds that hit NE hard. A lot of people do have success on it though, and it certainly hits more receptors than SSRIs.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently taking Nortriptyline and I guess it's not so bad.

I don't like a lot of the SSRI's and most of them I can't sleep on worth a damn. Nortriptyline can help with sleep and on higher doses it can help depression.

The first time I took it I came out of a long depression and it got me doing a lot of creative and cool stuff.

I keep going back to it when needed but to get help with depression you probably need to go up to 75mg which is my dose. At higher doses it can start drying your mouth and nasal membranes pretty bad. Chewing gum and using saline nasal spray helps that. Overall I do much better on it than off it and the side effects are minimal. None of that nausea and insomnia like the newer meds.

Good Luck