CrazyBoards.org

A long time ago when I ran across an old book in the library that mentioned a study done in the 50s?, where schizophrenics/mental patients where helped "cured" with a plant based type diet of just fruits and vegetables and some water fasting. That was an old holistic health book and don't remember the title. The book said it didn't take off because it wasn't profitable and hard to get people to stick to follow, but it worked.

But there is a new movement with holistic plant based diets now, so was wondering if anyone has tried that route and had any success?

I'm talking about a plant based diet that is vegan like, with no meat, dairy or overly processed foods. Mostly just fruits and vegetables, no added oils, little salt and no sugar, with exercise to help boost endorphins. 

I am going to try it and will post results/updates here. What I eat, how many calories, macro ratios, any exercise I do. 

Want to see if it really works. I will be taking Wellbutrin. But eventually will wean off that if this diet really works at "curing" my depression/psychosis and do a water fast. Once I do this diet a while and feel like it's helped I will try going off medications.  

I am obese so hopefully will be losing weight too. Had a hard time losing anything on Ability but may fare better with just Wellbutrin and a plant based diet.

Some background:

Had depression with psychosis on and off since a small child.

There is a lot of mental illness in my family. Both parents schizophrenic, brother schizophrenic, sister has depression with personality disorder, another sister has autism with mental retardation, grandfather had schizophrenia with depression.

So I think my depression is something hereditary that I am just predisposed too. 

I have read about this, but am very (VERY) skeptical about it working.  I've never tried it though.  But for me to be able to function off all my meds and be more "normal" is pretty much never going to happen.

I don't think there is a cure for MI, at least not yet.

Isn't Kava supposed to heal like... everything ever? That's the only thing I can think of right now, besides St Johns Wort and all those other herbaly things. It's supposed to be a cure-all for anything you can think of, but most people use it for sleep/anxiety/depression. (I don't condone it, I've never tried it. Just throwing it out there.)

Edited by Paranoidling

paingains, I think a lot of us could benefit from eating more fresh foods, and particularly the fruits and vegetables.  However, you do need some protein in your diet, so I hope you will also include beans, whole grains, lentils and nuts.

I've eaten a healthy diet of unprocessed food for years, and I know that this kind of eating helps you to avoid obesity, hypertension, heart disease, Diabetes type II, and other illnesses.  However, I'm a bit skeptical about treating mental illness solely with diet.

I would also point out to you that treatment of mentally ill patients was pretty primitive back in the mid-20th century.  Most of the medications we have now had not been developed at that time, so agitated MI patients were given drugs to sedate them and make them "manageable."  The treatments we have now are not perfect, but they are definitely better than what we had 60 years ago.

If you try a vegetable-based diet, please do not go off your medications without discussing this with your medical team.

olga

I wouldn't hold too much hope for it curing your MI.  I would think that your body feeling better from eating better foods might help a little with depression and maybe anxiety, but I don't think it would cure it.  And I don't see how it would cure psychosis.  Did the book talk about the mechanism of action?

Kava in some studies/reports can cause liver toxicity and even death.  

St. John's Wort may be beneficial but I think it may have caused psychosis for me once by taking a whole lot of it.  The dosage is also a guessing game and not regulated the way conventional meds are.

Edited by koa

Kava in some studies/reports can cause liver toxicity and even death.  

Yes! Kava can be dangerous, especially when you can't be sure of the dose you are getting.

As to the OP, people have tried everything - literally everything - through the years to cure MI. MI is not just a product of the 20th and 21st centuries. It's been around since humans existed. No one has yet found a cure for it, neither in diet nor in herbal supplements.

Well really disappointed to hear no one really was helped much with their MI by it.

Will try it anyhow for other health benefits though cause I need to lose weight etc. Not going off my medication (Wellbutrin) but was hoping one day I could be medication free.

Not into herbal supplements, tried Saint Johns Wort once and after a few days the smell of the pills made me want to vomit, didn't do anything for my depression.

I am skeptical about this kind of diet being a cure for MI, but I think trying to optimise your diet and exercise habits while continuing with prescribed treatments is a good thing :)

To ditch meds in favour of these things is misguided IMO. There are plenty of accounts on here of those who tried exactly that and failed miserably. There is also a real agenda that many in that raw food/vegan scene are pushing. They often claim that eating their way will cure any disease you can think of. They are always claiming that it can cure cancer, when any reasonable person can see that that is blatently untrue. In other words, when you're researching a matter like this, you are in dubious territory, expect to sift through the chaf.

paingains ... if you do try it, let us know how it goes.  I'm curious as to the benefits it might have (if any) in improving MI.

I was fruitarian (thats a raw plant based diet mostly fruit), for a period of about 6 months, like around 2 years ago now.  It was probably the mostly physically healthiest I had been for a long time, I felt physically really clean and really good.  But my psychological symptoms were still there I'm afraid.  Okay so I had a little bit more energy but still not enough motivation my depression and anxiety still held  me back.  And ended up giving the diet in order to go back to binging on on junk food (still vegan, but junk food vegan) because thats what I do when my mood is really crappy. 

Actually now that medication is starting to help just a little bit, I'm thinking I might be able to manage raw til 4 diet (raw vegan breakfast and lunch, eat what you want for dinner), going to give it a go soon I hope.

But I hope it works out well for OP.

I was fruitarian (thats a raw plant based diet mostly fruit), for a period of about 6 months, like around 2 years ago now.  It was probably the mostly physically healthiest I had been for a long time, I felt physically really clean and really good.  But my psychological symptoms were still there I'm afraid.  Okay so I had a little bit more energy but still not enough motivation my depression and anxiety still held  me back.  And ended up giving the diet in order to go back to binging on on junk food (still vegan, but junk food vegan) because thats what I do when my mood is really crappy. 

Actually now that medication is starting to help just a little bit, I'm thinking I might be able to manage raw til 4 diet (raw vegan breakfast and lunch, eat what you want for dinner), going to give it a go soon I hope.

But I hope it works out well for OP.

I also struggle with apathy and lack of motivation even when I feel somewhat better. Hoping this diet with exercise will help with that.

I have heard of fruitarian but think eating carbs like potatoes, rice etc, may help better with depression, with some raw fruits and veggies. But a raw diet is good for cleansing. Heard of raw till 4, think that is better than just raw, doing the high carb low fat vegan diet, will be eating mostly bananas and potatoes cause I'm on a budget. Will be posting updates on my tumblr http://bananaspotatoesgreens.tumblr.com

I was vegan for a year but still had a manic episode at the same time I usually do and was hospitalized.

Diet is only one part. Have you heard of naturopathic doctors? I am seeing one now. Everyone is different. I don't have bipolar symptoms in between my manic episodes, but I understand many people do. You might want to look into an all natural treatment plan from a naturopathic doctor if you go this route. I just had a nutritional test done and I'm meeting with the naturopathic doctor tomorrow to see which supplements to take, along with diet, meditation, and a regular sleep schedule.

High carb/low fat might not help you lose weight if you are still eating more calories than you are burning.

The reason whole foods/plant based "diets" tend to be effective for weight loss is because the amount of fiber one gets tends to increase feelings of fullness and satiation, therefore making it hard to eat a super lot of calories that are in more calorically dense foods.

I once ate a huge box of tomatoes and I'm pretty sure I still ate less calories than I would have had I eaten a slice of pizza. mmmm tomatoes. 

Edited by iaawal

I once ate a huge box of tomatoes and I'm pretty sure I still ate less calories than I would have had I eaten a slice of pizza. mmmm tomatoes.

That's entirely possible if the box wasn't too big. 15 medium (2-5/8" diameter) tomatoes total 330 calories. One slice of 14" sausage pizza (hand tossed crust) from Pizza Hut has 342 calories. Source: USDA.