CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
mirandatoritess123

How many special interest have you gone through

Quite a few (a lot) but it's hard to differentiate which ones are the ASD and which ones are the BP. I guess the ones that result in me going on a shopping spree from an idea I got at 3AM might be the BP and the more longer-obsessive-ignore-the-world ones might be the ASD. Or maybe mine are just a combo of both. 

One that's always been there at least a little bit since I was really young is space, starsigns, etc. Other than that, at least four more, but I find it hard to recognise them unless someone points them out.

Too many to count, I have way to much crap that I spent way to much money on. I should sell it on eBay, but I keep thinking the passion will lite and I will take interest again.

I have three enduring interests: war, religion, and perfume. A number of others have come and gone, mostly lasting just long enough to be folded into the semi-orderly files of "potentially useful stuff I know."

I'd be interested in perfume's relation to the other two interests, Gear.

Hmm, I always find this question kind of hard to answer. When does something count as a special interest? I've had maybe 6-7 that I would call such and that I was focused on for any length of time. I'm not sure if the harmful things I became focused on to the exclusion of everything else count. And then there have been a scattering of other things yet which were all I could think about but only for a few days at a time. Kind of like there are various levels of very intense or fixed interests, and for me too some of them have gone but then returned (while others will come for a while and then never with such intensity again.)

I'd be interested in perfume's relation to the other two interests, Gear.

Well, there are moments of pure and lovely alignment of the stars, when I get to read some reasonably detailed account of the plants and perfumes the Crusaders brought home with them from the Middle East (trifecta!). And there are strange and interesting concessions that great perfumes have had to make during times of war, and I can think of not remember the name of (an believe me, this is killing me) one perfume that was invented during WW ll because a perfumer (Ernest Beaux?) found a whole barrel of some wonderful smelling random chemical in a warehouse. This was fortuitous because most of the good perfumes the French were still making were being taken off to Germany by those irrepressible looters, the Nazis.

I love linking all three obsessions, but I am also quite content playing with them separately.

I'm not sure I can count how many I've had either... as a child they've always changed with age, but as I got older, they stayed more unchanging.

The following are the special interests I had at one point or another as a child, but don't care for much any more:

• Astronomy
  • Traffic lights (?!)
  • Coin collecting
  • Geography, specifically US state capitals (can still name all 50 with some hesitation, though!)

Some of the following academic obsessions started in childhood, but interest me to this very day (estimated start age in parentheses; I'm 31 years old now for reference)

• Cooking/Food (Age 12; still a gourmet chef, or so my friends think!)
  • Commercial Aviation (Age 10; I sometimes refer to cities by their 3-letter airport code, sadly.)
  • Roads (Age 7-ish; I never use a GPS, by the way :smartass:)
  • Bio-Medicine & Neuropharmacology (That one took me until age 22 or so)
  • German language and culture (Age 14; led to a second college BA in German Language!)
  • Public transit systems (Age 17-ish, when I was first exposed to Munich's rather decent one)
  • Civil architecture (Age 10 or so; this one was productive - When I was 26, I drafted the final design for a new first-floor guest suite my parents added to their house, saving them about $2000 in drafting fees)
  • Statistics (the hardcore kind; Age 28)
  • Body/kinesthetic-based video gaming (Age 24)

I clearly haven't named everything yet.  Edits may come to this post. :smartass:

Edited by LikeMinded

Let's see, for me there has been interest in birds, presidents, Shania Twain, Julia Roberts, Who's The Boss?, baby names, dolls, manatees, angels, Bones (TV show), You've Got Mail, Castle (the current obsession), my cats, my birds, forensics/death.  I still have a big interest in baby names, my cats, and of course Castle.

I have science, religion, mathamatics, electronics, photography mostly and pick up various others too. Like one time I wanted to be a private detective lol. For me I seem to rotate or cycle the main ones and occassionallly pick up a new one.

KillBytes -- I hear you on the photography.  I forgot to mention that as one of my 'special' 'interests', which it's been since at least since I was age 12...