CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
CoffeeLovinBipolar

10 year old and scalp picking

I have a 10 year old that picks and picks at her scalp and has two deep round sores on her head where she's been picking.  She won't go to get her hair cut any more and she's ashamed to go to the doctor.

Any tips on healing the sores and getting her to stop?

I do this still. I started as a kid too.

I am embarrassed to get a hair cut as well.

Does she shower and wash hair thoroughly daily? Neutrigina (SP?) makes a good shampoo for sore scalps. That is what I used to use. I hope they still make it! It is supposed to be soothing and healing.

Does she have OCD? Maybe therapy would help? 

Just some ideas.  Help her conquer this now so she wont be still doing it as an adult when older like me.

I have a 10 year old that picks and picks at her scalp and has two deep round sores on her head where she's been picking.  She won't go to get her hair cut any more and she's ashamed to go to the doctor.

A 10 yr old shouldn't be in control of when they go to the doctor or get their haircut.  Parents make those decisions!

In any case, I hope you find help for your daughter.

I did the exact same thing but my mother never ever noticed.

I also picked my eyelashes out, using the crusty sleep as an excuse.

The scalp picking happened in my dance class. 

I still did it up until my early thirties. I had a bald spot on the back of my head during my wedding. No one knew but me.

The sores healed on their own. If she lets you, I would use bacitracin on them.

I picked from anxiety. It was an automatic action.

Maybe help her find something else to replace it with, something healthier.

splitting her split ends?

also, the scabs healing are going to itch and make even more opportunity to re pick.

I used to pick at the scabs in my ear from eczema. ANd over and over and over again.

Vicious cycle.

MOST IMPORTANT: She does not feel wrong for doing this. It is very COMMON. It does not mean something is wrong with her. That you know about it is wonderful. Very wonderful.

Talk to her, find out when she does it, what are the triggers?

She is very young. But that is the age girls pick. 

Don't push her to get her haircut. It is fine. Maybe you can cut it for her.

Do very comforting soothing stuff with her and for her. No stress. No anxiety. That is what is the source of the picking. Anxiety.

See if you can find out what is making her most anxious - living up to parental expectations? Dance class? Bullying at school? 

Make sure she knows that you love her and no matter what she does you will always love her. ANd that you are not mad at her for picking.

I had no one to tell. YOu are blessed that you know. 

And remember, YOU are doing nothing wrong either. It is so easy to blame ourselves. But don't. That will not help her.