CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
cosima

getting over pet peeves and minor irritations

i have a lot of pet peeves. and i'm very sensitive to sensory irritations. little noises, sensations, and smells can set me off very easily. some days are worse than others, but it's such a waste of time and i'm trying to learn to deal with it.

what methods work for you? at the moment, i do my best to remove myself from the trigger and take a private deep breath. i try to relax my body and mind and then go back to what i was doing. it can help but often it really doesn't or when i go back to the thing aggravating me, the stress and irritation comes right back again.

some things i hate

eating noises

moaning noises

scratching and screeching noises

scraping noises

dry hands or perceived dryness of my skin

any sort of mild itchiness

barking

certain types of materials touching me

for example, today i couldn't use a pencil because the noise it was making when it came into contact with the paper was too overwhelming, and then the sound of my chair every time i moved started making me agitated. so i left the room and then the cacophony of my family getting ready for dinner (dishes, talking loud, tv, some chewing sounds) upset me so i locked myself in the bathroom to try to relax so i could return and be social and not an angry monster.

as usual, my head is really disorganized and i feel cloudy so sorry for this rambling mess. if anyone has any thoughts or ideas or can relate, i'd appreciate your insight.

I'm the same way. I'm really not an angry person most of the time but start making noises and I turn into someone with roid rage. I clench my fists. And I realized that by doing that I'm digging my nails in my skin. So that's what I do, I clench my fists really hard. It hurts as much as pinching yourself. I don't clench them so hard that I leave a permanent mark or bleed. Or I dig my nails into my forearm, again not leaving a permanent mark. These might not be the healthiest ways but it contains the raging anger. Otherwise I want to hurt people and throw things and break things. 

When it's something where I don't get out of the situation but I'm alone (e.g. I was in my office the other day and there was someone fixing something in the office next to mine and he was talking to someone so I kept hearing mumbles and that set me off), So I rocked back and forth and sang to the music and breathed and had really long exhales and shook my legs. It was soothing. But I find rocking soothing since I do it all the time. 

I can relate to this a lot. Sometimes, even the sounds of peoples voices grates me the wrong way. I usually try to go to my room and turn on the fan. White noise helps me a lot. My doctor told me I might be experiencing hyperacusis, because the smallest sounds can get so loud to me. If I'm in public, the best I've been able to do is step out or try to leave somehow. I'm not really sure how to deal with it always myself either. It gets bad sometimes, feels like I'm having brain zaps inside my head. I tend to avoid loud social engagements that last longer than an hour or two. I can usually get myself through the hour, but if I'm in a room with a crowd of 10 or more? Hmm. I feel like the time I can tolerate being there is directly related to the number of persons and their general chattering noise level. Spending time with my dad and grandparents is hard, because they are hard of hearing and need to be loud. I don't generally speak that loudly, probably because I can hear myself too loud, and a lot of people tell me to speak up constantly. But when I speak up, I feel like I'm yelling and sometimes get yelled at for yelling. So IDK WTF.

my pet peeves?

-televisions

-the races (i swear it's an unwritten rule that when people watch nascar they turn their televisions up to max volume)

-more than two voices talking at once

-chewing

-certain peoples voices

-microphones (seriously? they need to make themselves LOUDER? good god, i'm already dying!)

just to list a few. :/

Taking deep breaths is a great way to calm yourself. It might also help if you had a mantra that you could repeat to yourself. "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it" I'm not trying to be preachy, (one of my pet peeves), just giving an example of a good mantra.

bad%20mood_1.jpg

@iaawal & @figment: sounds like we're in the same boat.

@phoenix: i didn't get a preachy vibe, so don't worry. thank you for your advice. i really hate being so easily set off and if repeating mantras could help me curb this irritability then i will have to try them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Persona_Is_Life
      Hello! 
      I'm trying to figure out how to address my nervous tics lately. They've been persistent this past year and are always changing. From eye blinking, to head shaking, to sticking my elbow in my sides, squeaking, to a eye closed swallow things. I can't remember them all. 
      I don't always have them. If I've properly slept and aren't stressed/anxious they don't exist at all. As I'm typing this I keep needing to pick up my thumbs and bend them till I hear something crack. 
      I don't know where to put this though! 
      Thanks!
    • By Blahblah
      This has become the central topic of my latest ruminations...I'm still in my 40's, but I'm worrying a lot about getting older. I'm having some random health issues (aches/pains, chronic fatigue etc) that I never had before.
      I don't have any children and get triggered every time I see photos of other people's kids (literally everyone I know my age has kids now). I know that it's not a given that all families are happy or one's kids will take care of you in old age, but it's just the thought of having a family around! My parents are approaching late 70's and they live very far away, cannot travel. I have no other close family (or even close friends) that I can really depend on.
      Anyone know how to remedy these anxious thoughts? One of my biggest fears is being alone in old age, with increased health issues, and being totally isolated/alone in despair. I'd rather die young.
    • By Adolf
      "Best" as in being effective with fewer side effects. Which ones were the best for you? Which ones did you take? What condition(s) did you treat? What side effects did you get? How did the antipsychotics compare to "conventional" antidepressants?
      Can antipsychotics be an alternative to "conventional" antidepressants? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Do they make you a tomato with time? Psychiatrists prescribe them more often in recent times, it seems.
    • By Blahblah
      It's only Day 2 with no Effexor. I was taking 37.5mg for months, and then added Prozac 10mg for over 2 weeks. Then pdoc told me this was plenty of buffer time to stop it....
      I'm feeling super tired, MAJOR irritability, no appetite, nausea, all over body aches, some brain zaps. I had really hoped that my ridiculously slow taper (with Prozac) would eliminate this....Now on total lockdown, this is not helping the situation or my relationship!
      I know people are just trying to help here (with telling me other med combos to try) but honestly, after 25 years and 30+ medications I have no hope of anything being much better than this. I wanted to stop Effexor because of the apathy & sexual dysfunction, but I guess I can't get away from these side effects.
      Should I try to just endure a few more days or should I write my pdoc already and go back to taking 37.5mg?   I am so upset....I just want to be off these poison meds, they only numb you to where you eventually don't enjoy anything or care about anything. Then you become completely dependent & f'd up trying to taper off.
    • By kitties
      Hi, I am kitties.  I am a newbie here, but not to illness.  I have chronic pain 24/7 in my back and neck.
      Mentally....here are my diagnoses (got a second and third opinion....all objective and a consensus of the exact same diagnoses.)
      Bipolar 1 with psychosis, extreme, treatment resistant, rapid cycling.   Mixed features predominant.  Never had a remission to date...just a couple of weeks with my bipolar disorder.  “Normal” for a few weeks a couple of times per year.  No anxiety remission.
      OCD, GAD, Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety disorder, PTSD...I think that is everything.   Oh, I am significantly affected by a very strong dose of agoraphobia stemming from my PTSD and Panic Disorder.
      I have a great psychiatrist and I e been in treatment with him a since 2006.  I had a great therapist that had a co-transference issue and I ultimately ended my therapy with him. I have tried four therapists since firing the aforementioned therapist - but I unfortunately have lost faith in the process.
      I am a night owl by nature and it has really ramped up since being declared disabled in 2009/SSDI/cannot work.  I struggle with having a “routine,” although I have read that one with bipolar disorder tends to be more stable with a routine.  I’m easily overstimulated so I like the quiet and darkness..
      I know I have an eating disorder (anorexia, restricting type), but I politely yet firmly said I have had “eating issues” but I have no desire to “go there.”  My psychiatrist respects that although I am subject to a monthly weigh-in and I self-manage it.  
      I am currently relapsing right now, unfortunately. But, I have had it for so many years that I know at what weight my body and mind take a turn for the worst.  And I have to rein it back in and stop losing (meaning eat more).  I’ll never seek treatment as the recovery model, IMO, is ridiculous.  Kudos to those that have been able to “recover.”
      I take a bunch of meds, mainly psych meds  
      I like to read, Enjoy spending time with my boyfriend.  Internet.  I like learning things, I am currently and reading up on world history (pre-USA).  I keep up with psychology and sociology.
      Thanks for reading if you made it this far.