CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Butterflyx

is this anxiety? adhd? whats wrong with me!

OK, I definitely have anxiety. And depression. I'm on wellbutrin which exacerbates my anxiety sometimes (I take a very low dose of ativan when this happens) and I was rx'ed adderall for ADHD but hardly ever take it. Even low doses make me feel awful when coming down and it really taxes my body. I also wonder if the diagnosis was accurate. But now I'm starting to wonder..

I don't know if this is my anxiety, or both, but it seems to me I havent or can't finish a thought or idea before I'm on to the next. I have a list of things I'd like or want to do, but I never do it. Its like the ides is great but the following through seems exhausting. It goes something like this:

Oh, I want to go the arts market. But I find excuse not to

Or

I want to go to Tj maxx or Michaels to start decorating the apartment .. But I dont because the task seems too big

Or

I should go through my clothes and clean but, I'd rather just chill

Oh but wait, I want to go to the pool.. But I should really take my dog to the park.

What is this!? Its exhausting. And I just want to be able to follow through with things. Any help? Sigh.

• Like 1

I can't say for sure since I don't have a shiny piece of paper but I've say that to me sounds like ADHD. I have anxiety problems and I don't get like that. My brother has or did have ADHD, that to me sounds like his train of thought, as I would imagine it to be.

I have a long history of anxiety and depression. I also have sensitivity to stimulants, antidepressants, and marijuana.  I don't remember the response I had when I took Wellbuterin, it was years ago.  The diagnoses I received, partly based on these drug reactions, were on the schizophrenia spectrum, though with only mild positive symptoms.  I'm not saying that is what you have at all, just giving you info that you can use to compare to what other things you have heard around the community.

I'm actually very similar.  I definitely have a lot of anxiety (that's my main issue), but there's a chance I have ADHD as well.

It DOES NOT sounds anything like schizophrenia to me.

There are plenty of people on these boards that have both.  My recommendation is to get to a therapist to try to tease out what's going on, then focus on medicating what's most pressing (and what you can tolerate).

Nootropics are a class of medication/supplements that are intended to help enhance cognitive functioning.

Here's an interesting article my psychNP wrote about ADHD and complex PTSD...

http://aappn.org/wordpress/index.php/2012/09/06/there-be-dragons-how-disentangling-complex-ptsd-and-adult-adhd-can-make-for-treacherous-diagnostic-navigation/

have you tried nootropics?

What's that?

​it's a smart drug. used mostly to treat definite mental or cognitive disorders.

that's an interesting article. I can see how the two are connected but I don't know that it holds true for me. Of course there were some things in my childhood that contribute to things, but who doesn't have a little of that? I wouldn't call it traumatic. However the ADHD things he touches on such as : 

They report to you that they are restless, inattentive, have difficulty with relationships of intimate, friend, and familial nature. They have never done well academically, or can do well in some arenas, but fail in others. Had trouble staying in school. Can’t prioritize. They feel like their life is “out of control.” 

that really hits the nail on the head for me. And unfortunately, I think my wellbutrin exacerbates some of my symptoms and doesn't exactly always play nice with Adderall. Ive noticed lately, when Ive tried taking it again, it makes me weird. Almost out of body experience, like. And Im only taking 5mg twice, maybe three times a day.

Edited by Butterflyx

Butterflyx, I have the same problem.  I plan to do this or that, then end up making excuses to get out of it.  I'm certain it is my social anxiety, and GAD.  Have you found relief?  I started on Wellbutrin SR 100mg Friday and ended up with a terrible headache, anxiety and sweating.  Almost felt like I had the flu.  The next day I didn't take it and felt a little better.  Tried it again yesterday and this morning, and my anxiety is sky high and I tossed and turned.  My medicines are a whole handful, including supplements.  I have travel plans in 6 days and am anxious about that already, and considering cancelling my trip.  

momof5pets!, I encourage you to work with a therapist who has specific expertise treating anxiety with CBT. Anxiety tends to respond pretty well to CBT when you're working with someone who knows what they're doing. There are also some good workbooks if that's more your style.

As you have already figured out, anxiety/avoidance/relief is a pretty vicious and self-reinforcing cycle: You decide to do something. You feel unbearably anxious. You decide to not do the thing. You feel instant relief. You decide later to do a different thing. You start to feel anxious. You decide not to do the thing. You feel instant relief.

The bummer is that our worlds just keep getting smaller and smaller when avoidance is the primary strategy to manage anxiety.

Anxiety won't actually kill us, though it sure feels like it at the time. It can be crazy unpleasant and uncomfortable. And if we ride it out we teach ourselves that we can handle whatever comes up. It might not always be pretty, but we can manage it.