CrazyBoards.org

I'm placing this in the depression forum because it deal directly with depression... sorry if it would fit better elsewhere ;)

I ran across this article while searching for information on whether or not depression is hereditary. http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/learning_path.htm

It has some interesting ideas, but halfway through I found myself calling bullshit on a lot of things.  Eternal pessimist am I...

An example:

6) Do What You Enjoy. Do what you used to enjoy doing, even if you don't particularly feel like it. Even complete small tasks within the home if you don't feel like meeting other people. Seemingly mundane tasks, if they have an end result, can result in a feeling of satisfaction, and actually increase your serotonin levels!

That quote sounds oddly akin to, "all you have to do is_______".  As if it were that easy?!  Don't you think if I could get up to shower myself I would do that?  Don't you think if I could make myself do all the things I want to do/know need to be done I would be doing them?

Anyway, I'm just interested in getting other people's take on the article.  It is fairly long, and I did skim over a lot of it.  I mainly started skimming when I lost faith in the writer's message  :|

Nyx is right, you can't really draw any conclusions from that fact. If depression increases ten fold, it can also mean that say,  depression was being diagnosed ten time better, or ten times as more people with depression went to get help, thanks to more knowledge. Who knows? But that's a key opinion, not a key fact >.<

I bet they don't even know what a 'chemical imbalance' means exactly. My opinion.

I bet they don't even know what a 'chemical imbalance' means exactly. My opinion.

Not to be persnickety, but neither do we.  We just seem to have a better idea than they do. 

Have you read The Noonday Demon, by Andrew Solomon?  His approach is literary, not scientific, but he did have some interesting things to say about how we perceive such terms as "chemical imbalance" in relationship to mood disorders. 

The article, IMHO, was garbage, and typical of the breezy, airhead do-gooders' version of depression. 

Dopes - before WWII,  women did not have depression,  they had "the vapors",  or "nerves".

Before WWII,  men were not depressed - they were expressing stoicism and strength of character.  Depression is still taken as strength of character when men have it in my native very Northern European country of origin. 

What did these jokers gain by posting this article?  Is this a stroke on the "publish or perish" scoreboard?

Archived