CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
cosima

stress/anxiety induced bladder trouble

i've had an overactive bladder problem for years - off and on in severity - always triggered by anxiety and stress. does anyone else have this problem? how do you deal with it?

i've been properly tested many times for other illnesses and nothing is ever wrong. 

right now i am incredibly stressed by this and it's hard to try to maintain my anxiety with this problem being so bad. it started with home renovations and my father telling me i had to wait three hours before i could go to the bathroom. add that to the stress of having everything moved around my house and the terrible clutter and whatever else and it's really bad right now. sorry - my brain is so fuzzy so i hope i'm making some sense.

how do you manage this sort of anxiety? i've been trying meditation/relaxation exercises but they're not helping too much. my head hurts. 

i have also been dealing with anxiety but it never triggered my bladder but it triggered the way i eat.

Take deep breaths and don't think to much about it that causes anxiety to build up.

best of luck

Have you tried meds for stress urinary incontinence? I know Cymbalta is used for that, probably others too.

it's kinda hard not to think about it when there's a constant physical reminder. the urge to pee hardly ever goes away and it just increases in severity and frequency. and it's not like it's all in my mind because i do have quite a bit coming out when i finally let myself go to the bathroom.

larkspur - i've been on a couple meds for overactive bladder in the past and i'm not sure how much they helped. i can't remember at the moment. maybe i need to try to go back on them because this is just too much for me to deal with.  :(

I have this too. The urinary leakage and urgency and frequency happens worse when stressed/anxious. The only way I manage it right now is that I wear incontinence pads. They're like period pads but thicker.

Edited by surreal

i'm sorry to hear you deal with the same thing, surreal. is there anything specific that worsens it or makes it better? 

Caffeine or taking in too much fluid throughout the day makes it much worse. The pressure and urgency in my bladder worsen by a lot. So if I need to be at a doctor appt or something, I don't drink anything beforehand.

I've taken Cymbalta before but didn't notice any improvement in that area.

I get a bit of this. I get the urge to go to the toilet when I get anxiety, even if I've just been, it's there. So far just going to the toilet and telling myself I don't need to go again has been working. Still an unpleasant sensation, isn't it? I found for the last five months I have to wake up mid-late morning to go to the toilet, I'm scared that with that always occurring like clockwork and the combination of risperidone making me sleepy etc, that I'll end up going in bed. I really hope that never happens, I don't need it. But, the age old law of: thinking about it make it happen, is true with me so, I don't think about it too much.

Have had this problem for many years, along with the anxiety. Some days worse than others. I'm unable to take any medications for it because I have glaucoma. I get up at least three times a night to pee. When shopping, I know where the cleanest bathrooms are located. It's just one of those things that accompany the anxiety. On a good day, I can sit through an entire movie without using the bathroom! I refer to the bad days as FU (frequent urination) days. The tough part is, my bladder gets so full that I can't ignore it. Friends and family are used to my frequent bathroom visits. I call it my second home. I hope you can find some help for your situation. I know how uncomfortable it is. Take care.