CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Southern Discomfort

'Abused emoji' give kids an easy way to talk about serious issues

Just saw this article on Engadget. I think it's a really clever and great way of children to communicate about those topics which can be so difficult for everyone let alone a kid. A lot of the time it's finding the words to properly describe the situation which can be difficult.

So many things stem back to childhood trauma, I hope things like these can prevent decades of anxiety and depression.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/04/abused-emoji/

Interesting idea, but I have to agree with someone who posted in the comment on the page.  It can either be good or bad.  Having a smiley face with a skull in a bubble is misleading.  Why the smiley face if a person is suicidal or homicidal?

It can either be good or bad.  Having a smiley face with a skull in a bubble is misleading.

I think it is the kid nose (a semicircular weird one), and not a smile.

Edited by Bixo

I have mixed feelings about this. It could be a way for younger people to communicate their problems more easily, but it could also be a way for people to make fun of those with said problems. The emoji with the self harm bothers me significantly, and I can image it being used by people to make a joke out of it. I may just be paranoid, but I feel like it wouldn't be such a good thing.

I don't know if the problem is finding the words as much as worrying about people's reactions and being punished for telling and just generally being conditioned to keep the secret.

That said, one of the hardest things for me was the alone-ness of other families not being like mine.  And maybe kids might feel like "if someone made these images, I must not be the only one".  That might have helped me.

I agree about the self-harm one possibly being used for not ideal purposes.

Of course the problem isn't just finding the words, it is worrying about the reactions which would, understandably, be the biggest problem. Still, it might help opening up to others.