CrazyBoards.org

depression or just fatigue?

i'm trying to seperate what are symptoms of depression and what are  unrelated symptoms of severe fatigue.  i have the desire to exercise and feel a little better after i do so, but a complete inability to recover from exercise.  the next 2 days after exercise i am more depressed and fatigued.  if i only suffer from mental illness/depression i should NOT have this inability to recover from exercise.  exercise should lift my mood.  and i know it's not just a rough adjustment period to exercise, b/c there was a recent period of time where i made myself exercise for 2 straight years.  i am not overweight at all and was in good shape for most of my life.

First of all.... are you on any medications that could be causing fatigue?

Second of all... there is a really good thread on here about depression and motivation. I too, exercise a ton- try to get to the gym every single day... but when I am feeling depressed I have no motivation to do anything whatsoever- which leads to me feeling apathetic and tired. And if I do go to the gym and force myself to exercise I usually end up just like you- more depressed and fatigued.

It is all in your mind also.. I can be feeling happy and good but my body might be tired- yet I still can go and exercise and not feel fatigued. On the other hand, I can be feeling depressed and miserable but my body may feel fine- yet exercise is just impossible.

Aughh- sorry if this is confusing, I know exactly how you feel though- hopefully others will have more advice.

Sunburnt:

I have never understood the feeling that I hear about---"Oh, exercise and you'll feel wonderful!"

Maybe in another life.

When my depression is bad I still try to drag my fat butt out the door and walk or something, but I DON'T feel better afterwards and I'm just as depressed.  I may have burned a few calories, and I know it's important to exercise, but it doesn't help my depression one iota.

I would love to feel euphoric the way some people claim they are after exercising--endomorphins or whatever.  I've done everything from ski to swim to jog to nautilus to treadmills.....and I just feel hot and tired and sweaty at the end. 

Having said that, you should still try to exercise.  Maybe you'll "break through" and feel what I never have in all these years.  Besides, if you're a female, you need to build up your bone mass.

Love,

auntie olga

Sunburnt -

If you've been prescribed medications for your depression, could you let us know what they are?  A number of psychoactive meds have Fatigue as a side-effect.  I know that the Effexor I take leaves me constantly sapped of energy.  If we know what you're taking perhaps we can help you find out whether your Rx tends to cause fatigue.  Also, don't overlook the potential for depression itself, over time, to wear you down until you feel like you can't take another step.

Cerberus

i'm trying to seperate what are symptoms of depression and what are  unrelated symptoms of severe fatigue.  i have the desire to exercise and feel a little better after i do so, but a complete inability to recover from exercise.  the next 2 days after exercise i am more depressed and fatigued.  if i only suffer from mental illness/depression i should NOT have this inability to recover from exercise.  exercise should lift my mood.  and i know it's not just a rough adjustment period to exercise, b/c there was a recent period of time where i made myself exercise for 2 straight years.  i am not overweight at all and was in good shape for most of my life.

i second cerberus' what meds are you taking question...

also, how long has this been going on. 

i have chronic fatigue, and major depression, and they feel different.  ie, i can be fatigued and happy when my meds are working right.

and depression can cause fatigue.

maybe if you could share more info we could help you out more with this?  (hopefully)

penny

Archived