Meds known for the least amount of sexual, weightgain, and discontinuing side effects

Hi all! Im current Dx with MDD and Anxiety.  I am currently on Brintellix 20mg. I had little side effects at start up, with just very minimal issues with sexual side effects now. low drive which may or may not be related as I had that before I started the med but was very depressed. And only on occasion have i had issues reaching O.
I have had no weight gain that i would connect with the med.

Tried wellbutrin in Aug... was wonderful for my sex drive and O, but everything else about it was HELL.

Brintellix seems to not be helping with my depression much any more and will be seeing my pdoc next week.

• Major sexual issues are a no go as DH has a crazy high sex drive, and I already feel guilty enough with the little drive/minor issues I have. He never bothers me about it but I know any issues I have in that department will make me feel even more guilty = more depressed.
  • Ive always had low self esteem and worked VERY hard after having my 2 kids to get my weight back down. Id love to be a bit smaller but can be content with where I am. To much weight gain will be a no go for me as well.
  • lastly, im scared to death of discontinuing side effects. Mainly because I know some of them are HELLISH and I have little support and im the main care taker to 2 young children.. My husband work 40+ hours a week an hour away... Other then that... I dont really have anyone to help with the kids.

Im just curious to what drugs are being know for as far as these 3 main side effects.  Personal experinces welcome.

having those three excluding criteria will severely limit your options. even drugs that are known to be generally weight neutral or cause weight loss, are easy to discontinue, and have no sexual side effects all at once can still have those effects on a minority of people. considering that and considering you also have to factor in that you also need a med that won't make you depressed AND  at the same time won't make you more anxious, that number becomes even smaller. have you tried non-pharmaceutical methods of treating your anxiety and depression? do you have a therapist? 

i'm not saying it's not possible but it is trial and error as you know and it will be hard for anyone here to give you a list of meds that definitely fit those criteria you're giving. 

with that said, the only "weight neutral" meds you haven't tried that i can think of are cymbalta and pristiq.

People's reactions to medications are super individual - sadly the only way to know what will work for you is to try it.

Personally I had no change in sex drive on any of the SSRIs, and no weight gain, and they were easy for me to stop, but I did have various degrees of anorgasmia.  The SSRIs and SNRIs are pretty individual with that - lots of people have sexual problems but some don't.  Less so with the SNRIs than the SSRIs.

Lamictal has worked really well for my depression and has been weight neutral and without any sexual side effects.  But it's not first line/approved for unipolar depression, so it might be hard to get a doctor to let you try it without trying other things first, and it might not be the best option for you.  It's hard to start up in terms of side effects, but I have almost none now that I've been on it for a few years.

I second what cosima said about psychotherapy - if you can't tolerate the side effects of medications (and you're saying you couldn't tolerate two of the most common side effects of medications used for depression) psychotherapy would allow you to avoid those.

Edited by tryp

Wow, that's a tall order. The problem is that what has the least of these side effects for one person might be completely different for another person. It really boils down to trial and error.

Having said that, I agree that Lamictal probably has the least of these side effects and has pretty good antidepressant qualities, but the titration up can be really rocky. It might be worth talking to your doctor about, but I'm not sure it is very good for anxiety though (but there are other options for anxiety). Remeron is great in that it has very few, if any, sexual side effects and is easier to discontinue, but, alas, nothing is perfect and it can be a weight gainer.

I hope you find the perfect med for you, but I really think that you are going to have to make some compromises and find the least onerous med that you can be willing to put up with.

I know Its alot to ask for and understand it will be trial and error, was just looking for a possible starting spot and work my way out. I realize that it may unfortunately end up with me having to deal with a side effect id rather avoid if it means Im not dealing with my depression. But figured I'd ask here and see if I could come up with at least 1 or 2 options I possibly could look into.

Remeron was terrible for my hubby sex drive wise.  

Pristiq hasn't caused weight gain or loss of sex drive for me.  I don't always come, but I'm not sure that's the Pristiq.  

Pristiq hasn't caused weight gain or loss of sex drive for me.  I don't always come, but I'm not sure that's the Pristiq.  

Have you had any crazy side effects?

Im looking into the ones listed so for on the thread.  pristiq, cymbalta, and Lamictal

i had none of those three side effects from celexa (highest dose), but i know a lot of people have had opposite experiences on it. the only side effects on celexa for me were start up gastrointestinal symptoms and some intermittent dizziness.

Edited by cosima

Lamictal was horrible for me. It made me extremely manic. But then again, I see you don't have Bipolar so that shouldn't be an issue for you. The only antidepressant that I have been on consistently was Celexa. I was maxed out at the highest dose they recommend, (40mgs). I took it for years and had no noticeable side effects. I just weaned off it this week so that I can try Wellbutrin. Some doctors will allow you to take both of the medications as the same time, unfortunately my pdoc was not one of them. When I was initially diagnosed almost 10 years ago, I was started on Zoloft. My memory is not so good, so I can not remember why I stopped taking it. But in my honest opinion, Celexa seems to be a good one. Me, my mother, sister, and brother were all on Celexa with no problems. My mother and sister are on 20mgs, and my brother is on 10mgs. Best of luck to you!

I take Celexa. This is my third time on it. When I came off it earlier, I got the usual SSRI discontinuation effects. It also murdered my sex drive. Still, I take it because it is really the only antidepressant that I ever got any response to.

I take Celexa.

​I heard celexa was similar to lexapro.?.  Ive been hesitant to try it since I literally could not get out of bed for 4 weeks while on it as a teen. I know my chemistry is different now but im petrified of being bed ridden for weeks while having 2 young kids that need me.

Lamictal was horrible for me. It made me extremely manic. But then again, I see you don't have Bipolar so that shouldn't be an issue for you. The only antidepressant that I have been on consistently was Celexa. I was maxed out at the highest dose they recommend, (40mgs). I took it for years and had no noticeable side effects. I just weaned off it this week so that I can try Wellbutrin. Some doctors will allow you to take both of the medications as the same time, unfortunately my pdoc was not one of them. When I was initially diagnosed almost 10 years ago, I was started on Zoloft. My memory is not so good, so I can not remember why I stopped taking it. But in my honest opinion, Celexa seems to be a good one. Me, my mother, sister, and brother were all on Celexa with no problems. My mother and sister are on 20mgs, and my brother is on 10mgs. Best of luck to you!

​I dont have a BP dx at this time, but dr was concerned about it at some point. If i do its very mild. the closest thing to a manic phase i could have would be 2 instances in the last year of heightened sex drive that lasted 2x each and no one (me or hubby) is complaining about that. lol One of those times was before the anxiety and depression kicked in and the other was shortly after going to the full dose of brintellix when I was having the best response to the drug. SO it may or may not be BP...   Im being monitored closely for other BP symptoms. 

I cant do wellbutrin unfortunately. I felt completely zoned out and foggy for 2 weeks followed by crippling anxiety til I had to quit cold turkey or end up locked up in the hospital.   Only good thing about that drug for me was the big O from taking it was like no other... if only they could bottle that up and sell it, Id be the 1st in line for it.