CrazyBoards.org

>snipped<  People with older hardware, particularly mobile hardware, might have trouble using it.

It works fine on my laptop which is a glorified netbook. 

Older tablets have already been identified as a problem.  

​But, VE, you know that some of us are not happy unless we have something to bitch and complain about, right? Especially me.

I have a Surface 3 that just came out of the box that zips around the site with Windows 8.1. My five year old Acer with an early version of Windows 7 is a bit of a drag, but that might be the loose nut behind the keyboard. Our iMac retina nearly runs away with itself. The older model Chrome is sluggish, but then it always is.

Thank for braving the upheaval of this upgrade and for maintaining your sunny disposition while doing so.

It works fine on my nearly 4 year old laptop running not the latest version of Linux. In fact, I'm surprised that I've had no problems whatsoever other than figuring things out and getting used to things.

It works fine on my year-old laptop with Windows 8.1. It's a wee bit slow, but honestly, that could just be my internet connection, since I live out in BFE. 

Thank you, VE, for keeping us up to date and for the slick new platform. I think it's pretty good, so far. No issues to report that haven't already been fixed by the rolling upgrade. 

Edited by Mim

I'm having trouble finding the private blogs I follow..I have been dinking around for awhile and can't figure out where to go to find said blogs...I'm on a mobile device if that makes a difference.

I love the spiffy new layout..

Go to the notification settings, and set it to give you a notification when someone posts to a blog you're following.  

You can also link to it from the user's profile.

The glossary seems to be MIA. I had it bookmarked at http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/848-glossary/

Has it been moved? Thanks in advanced.

I found it at http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php?/topic/848-glossary/  it does seem like the link might be skewed, or, more likely, it is me.

Evidently it is my bookmark. However, on two different computers the first URL (from a search for glossary) does not lead to the glossary, while the second one does, copied and pasted does...crazy, who me?

Edited by Indigo 'n dye
found it...

Is there still a way to preview posts?

​If you move your cursor over the title of the thread you want to preview (without clicking), a box will pop up with the first and last posts in that particular thread.  You'll know you've done it correctly when the title turns temporarily red - the box follows shortly after.

Edited by MiaB

Is there still a way to preview posts?

​If you move your cursor over the title of the thread you want to preview (without clicking), a box will pop up with the first and last posts in that particular thread.  You'll know you've done it correctly when the title turns temporarily red - the box follows shortly after.

Thanks, Mia. You're a lifesaver.

Just wanted to say the upgrade is growing on me. I really like the new content feature showing new blog posts along with new forum content, for instance. Hopefully blog posts will get more attention.

There are several different ways to filter the view new content results.  On a PC they are in the left sidebar.  There should be a popup on mobile. 

This version of the software was written with the computers and browsers people are going to be using three years from now in mind more than the ones people were using three years ago.  It's an early version of a platform that's intended to still be in use a long time from now.  People with older hardware, particularly mobile hardware, might have trouble using it.

​Argh, I can't use the new CB format on most of the device platforms I own.  For me, in Safari everything is read-only.  None of the reply/entry boxes function at all.  Many of the drop-down menus don't open either.  I also can't use CB on my phone anymore either.  I can't update my browser on both devices without a wholesale change to a new OS (I've maxed out the updates available on my current OS and I've researched options as much as I can), which would wipe out all my laptop's software that I need for work like Adobe CS and MS Office, which of course my job doesn't pay for.  So it would personally cost me $1000+ to buy new software that works with a newer OS.

The only way I could figure out how to post at all here was to switch to Firefox.  Which I don't like using for a bunch of functional reasons, including the way it seems to be rougher on my processor.  My computer overheats much faster and more often when I use Firefox compared to Safari.

I completely understand why CB needed to be updated and appreciate the complex decision making necessary to balance so many moving parts and so many peoples' diverse needs and preferences.

But I just wanted to put it out there that some user difficulties are not just idle 'bitching'.  I cannot afford to buy new devices or software plus there are work-related reasons why I cannot risk OS updates that affect the usability of old software that I need to do my job.  My job doesn't provide me a work-use computer and I don't make enough money to afford to keep up with every single new technology release.

Really, thank you VE for everything you've done for so many years to keep things going here.  I just needed to express some user difficulties that I'm having that I have not seen anyone else post about yet.  If the update is working great for most other people, then updating is definitely the right thing to do.  Personally, though, I'm struggling.

Personally, though, I'm struggling.

​Me too.  I don't know what to say. Everything is much slower, harder to read, harder to negotiate. I know it was necessary and also of course,  I appreciate all of the hard work. It's just....The Google has now ruined my Chrome bookmark manager so smart devices have an easier time.  I know I have a hard time with change and I've been sick, but...I miss the old fashioned format. It was just easier to read everything. Now all I see are error messages saying I have to take a time out. And of course, the worrying mother in me wonders how all the guests are dealing with the site. Hopefully it is easier for them. I was a guest once. And I found out all I needed to know about Wellbutrin and Lexapro so easily. It was such a relief for me then when I knew nothing. If I came upon this site now, and started searching and getting time outs all over the place, I would have given up in a heartbeat.

I was trying to write a new blog entry, and somehow it  keeps bringing me to my most recent already posted blog entry.

The title of the blog is empty so it wants to assume the position of a new blog, but the body of the entry is an older one, so I'm thinking the only way to write one is to go and delete the the words in the old one.

I don't think I know how to explain it  any better but maybe someone will understand what I'm trying to say.

I hope. 

If it matters, I use CB  on my phone. 

Edited by BlurredBoundaries

Yep. My blog started doing that, also. Very time consuming to delete all the words (wouldn't let me highlight it all so I could just BAM delete it all at once). 

Also, quite often, I will go to reply to a post and the place where you comment, well type, it doesn't show, only the part that says insert media does. 

As I have said before, this shouldn't be happening on my rather new phone with the most current OS in my country. 

This version of the software was written with the computers and browsers people are going to be using three years from now in mind more than the ones people were using three years ago.  It's an early version of a platform that's intended to still be in use a long time from now.  People with older hardware, particularly mobile hardware, might have trouble using it.

​Argh, I can't use the new CB format on most of the device platforms I own.  For me, in Safari everything is read-only.  None of the reply/entry boxes function at all.  Many of the drop-down menus don't open either.  I also can't use CB on my phone anymore either.  I can't update my browser on both devices without a wholesale change to a new OS (I've maxed out the updates available on my current OS and I've researched options as much as I can), which would wipe out all my laptop's software that I need for work like Adobe CS and MS Office, which of course my job doesn't pay for.  So it would personally cost me $1000+ to buy new software that works with a newer OS.

I completely understand why CB needed to be updated and appreciate the complex decision making necessary to balance so many moving parts and so many peoples' diverse needs and preferences.

​I think Apple users tend to upgrade their hardware much less frequently than PC users, which is understandable given the price.  Unfortunately web technology is advancing at a breakneck pace, and you really do have to stay updated to use most modern sites with full functionality.  Firefox puts out a new release every six weeks and immediately drops support for the old one.  Chrome upgrades so frequently it doesn't even tell you when it's doing it.  Microsoft is now going to give away free upgrades to their entire OS just to get people off the old platforms so they don't have to support them.  Ubuntu, the most popular linux distribution, puts out a new release every six months with only an 18 month support window.  

If Firefox is running hot, it likely has less to do with the browser and more to do that it's processing tons of Javascript that old versions of Safari can't.  

This is main reason a prefer a home-built desktop to a laptop.  I can keep upgrading individual components and keep one going for the better part of ten years. Most low end Windows laptops aren't expected to live longer than a few years but at a $300-$400 price point, they are practically disposable.  

Unless you get a pro model, macs are usually massively underpowered vs a PC at the same price when they are brand new.  It just doesn't make sense to expect the weaker mac to continue to work with all current software as long or longer than the more powerful PC that costs half as much.

I freely admit that OSX is a lot better than any Windows release thus far, but Apple pretty much has a con game going in how they make you buy overpriced hardware in order to use it. 

Yep. My blog started doing that, also. Very time consuming to delete all the words (wouldn't let me highlight it all so I could just BAM delete it all at once). 

Also, quite often, I will go to reply to a post and the place where you comment, well type, it doesn't show, only the part that says insert media does. 

As I have said before, this shouldn't be happening on my rather new phone with the most current OS in my country. 

​This also is happening to me.  I can't type a response because I only have the option to insert media. sometimes if I wait long enough it appears.

Unless you get a pro model, macs are usually massively underpowered vs a PC at the same price when they are brand new.  It just doesn't make sense to expect the weaker mac to continue to work with all current software as long or longer than the more powerful PC that costs half as much.

​I have an old Imac but I am using TONS of software and visit TONS of websites and forums. Crazyboards is the ONLY forum that runs slow for me. I have an old apple OS but it works fine with everything new, so far. **knocks on wood & old plastic**  I update all the security, etc. Dont get me wrong, I hate apple, but they are letting me use snow leopard. Most everything dates back to at least my OS for apple. 

VE- why is there flood control on going to the second page of a topic? Is there some way this can be removed? I thought the flood control was for posting posts. When I go to the beginning of ANY forum and then go the second page, I get the error message. This makes no sense because I am not flooding, just going to the second page. I did not even type in a search.

​I had this problem on Opera, but it went away when I switched to IE. So you might want to consider trying another browser to see if the issue resolves itself there.