CrazyBoards.org

Hi, I have been taking Zyprexa, in addition to fluoxetine and other ADs, since July this year. It was added to fluoxetine to augment the AD effect, and this worked very well for 1 month, then stopped working.

As the Zyprexa is no longer having the desired effect, apart from helping me sleep (I'm back to being agitated, anxious, and depressed), could it be an idea to switch to Seroquel instead? I'm also keen to drop the Zyprexa, because I'm gaining weight, and I believe this is slightly less of a problem with Seroquel?

cheers,

Andrew

Andrew,

You know I have to say this is a question for your pdoc.

With that in mind, I was on Zyprexa for 9 months this year and then I switched to Seroquel. Zyprexa was working very well for me as a add-on mood stabilzer. I was feeling much better, I thought I could stop the Zyprexa, and when I asked me pdoc she allowed me to slowly taper off the Zyprexa.

Disaster, depression came back in a hurry. Pdoc and I discussed it and Seroquel was added to replace the Zyprexa. I am BP with GAD and social phobia, I have plenty anxiety. I also take klonopin and I thought the Seroquel might allow me to lower or taper off my klonopin because I have read many people's experiences of Seroquel working well for anxiety Dxs.

I am battling with Seroquel for personal reassons, typical YMMV issues. I am now taking 400mg Seroquel at night. My depression is slowly lifting but I have yet to notice any anti-anxiety effects. To be fair I still had to take klonopin while on Zyprexa as well.

I have not gained any weight on Seroquel or at least not that I have really noticed. I try not to weigh myself often and prefer to judge weight gain by how my clothes fit. My pdoc says Seroquel is more weight neutral than Zyprexa but there is more than one thread on the boards about people gainging weight on Seroquel.

anyway, bottom line YMMV and next time you see your pdoc make sure you make time to discuss a possible switch from Zyprexa to Seroquel.

In terms of side effects, zyprexa has a bad rep for weight gain.  I believe around 75% of users gain significant weight on it.

The only worse drug for weight gain is remeron.

Seroquel, on the other hand, has only a 25% ratio of significant weight gain.

In terms of efficacy, for most people the drugs do the same, so a switch recommended by your dr may well work.

I do believe, however that zyprexa is significantly stronger than seroquel, although seroquel has a wide dosage range.

Zyprexa worked really well but I was gaining a lot of weight. When I first switched to Seroquel it was working pretty well. I haven't really gained weight on Seroquel, either. I've been on it about 5 months and it's not working working for me anymore. January 3 pdoc is going to try adding a new medication to it. As everyone else says YMMV. (I finally figured out what that means!)

Archived