CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Slobster

Does anybody else have savant abilities?

I can memorize thousands of objects (ex: numbers, ordinary objects, shapes, etc.) in the correct order. I can also divide very long numbers - up to trillions and more - in my head.

Does anybody else present with savant abilities? Is it rare to present such abilities? What should I do with them? How could I turn them into a practical purpose (ex: a career)?

I'm not a savant, but I have some odd abilities related to memory. For example, when I was a teenager, I volunteered to work the master scoreboards at a local golf tournament (got me away from my mother for a weekend). There were about 200 names arranged on two large boards by starting time, so they weren't in alphabetical order. Without even trying, I memorized the locations of virtually each name on the first day. People would walk up to me and with my back to the board, I could tell them where to look for each name they inquired about. For the second day, the names were completely reordered by starting time again, based on the previous day's scores; I re-memorized most of the names spatially again without trying.

There's no such thing as a career in scoreboard reading, of course, but I have found that this ability has come in handy in my chosen career of technical writer. I can quickly scan a document and my brain parses it into pieces and remembers the location and sequence of the pieces pretty well. I memorize the layout of pages, documents, books, etc. without trying. When I need to find something in particular, odds are that I'll remember it's in the lower left corner of page 12, etc. So I can work a bit more quickly than other editors/writers can.

I have no idea what kind of career might be well suited to your abilities, but surely they could play at least a small role in many different careers. Best of luck to you!

I have the same thing, particularly with numbers. I can remember phone numbers after reading them once or twice. I remember codes/passwords/PINs after just seeing them once. I also remember the alphabet in sign language after being taught it when I was 6 - I haven't had to look it up or be re-taught it, it just stayed with me. I also remember number plates on cars, dates, I can recite Pi up to 15 digits (I could do more, but I don't see the point in wasting brain space). I have an almost photographic memory when it comes to directions. What I have trouble with, however, is remembering faces or images, or the exact wording of quotes.

I could innate read at a university level, now reading at a speed of 4200 words a minute. I also have absolute pitch. 

I have no savant abilities, but I do have an impeccable memory for certain things/facts like the TV show Castle, celebrity facts that no one would probably remember, birthdays (some of people I don't even remember their name, like my 1st grade locker buddy), maps (I can look at a map and figure out where to go without writing anything down, of course if I miss a turn, I usually have to pull out the GPS but only if I'm downtown).