CrazyBoards.org

So you don't want to take another med alongside Abilify for the tremor, but you are willing to take an illicit drug? That doesn't make sense to me. Marijuana is generally a bad idea for people with MI. If you are predisposed to psychosis, it can precipitate an episode. It can also make your symptoms worse.

You have to decide what is best for you, but I would avoid introducing wild cards into my treatment scheme and messing with my stability.

I used to smoke marijuana regularly as well, and I thought it was helping with my anxiety...until I quit smoking. I have my story of what happened on a different board up here, but I had stopped smoking for a month and a half and decided to try it again. It did not go well at all. I ended up having a really bad panic attack, hallucinating, and everything. I've learned that marijuana can go either way, it can reduce your anxiety or it can magnify it, but you won't know which one it will be doing until it's too late. I kept asking that day, "How long is this going to last?!". I wanted nothing more but to feel "normal" again. Different drugs work differently for everybody, so it could be fine for you. My pain doctor recommends it for pain, but by carefully wording it because it's still illegal in this state. Good luck to you!

So you don't want to take another med alongside Abilify for the tremor, but you are willing to take an illicit drug? That doesn't make sense to me. Marijuana is generally a bad idea for people with MI. If you are predisposed to psychosis, it can precipitate an episode. It can also make your symptoms worse.

You have to decide what is best for you, but I would avoid introducing wild cards into my treatment scheme and messing with my stability.

​You need to discuss all the options, at length, with your mental health care team. To be prepared to have a meaningful discuss, prepare yourself by researching peer-reviewed articles.

I agree with jt, do not jeopardize your well-being...

I use medicinal marijuana as an add on to my meds. I know, I know, so many people say MI people shouldn't use it, but I don't like that. Yes, there are some people who shouldn't - those with a certain sensitivity to psychosis, people for whom it causes panic attacks, etc., but I am very much in favor of using marijuana to even out a mood disorder. For me it helps with agitation/irritability, depression, insomnia, etc. and even social anxiety. Luckily my meds don't crap out on me too often, but I'm glad I got my rec just in case. I have a history of psychosis, but the only times I've ever had a negative reaction to marijuana, it was more so my brain under the influence reacting to external stimuli (the environment I was in/people around) not the marijuana itself. Ultimately, it's up to you. You need to know what works for you and what doesn't. If it helps you, great, if it doesn't, oh well. I'm sure there's something that will... somewhere. Marijuana helps me. But that's just me.

Just out of curiosity, are you forced to get it from some dealer or are you capable of actually getting a medical rec where you live?

I used medical cannabis when I lived in a state where it was legal. I took it for migraine, though. My pdoc and my ndoc both knew, and understood that I had pretty much reached the end of my options for controlling migraine.

But in California (I can't speak to elsewhere), the dispensaries really know what strains are best for what. For instance, social anxiety, pain, and anxiety. Not to mention the hardcore stuff like cancer and HIV. A different strain might be good for each of those. None of them is going to cover every symptom.

If you feel unable to discuss it with your pdoc, I don't think it is a good idea. A good thing can turn into a bad thing in the blink of an eye, and you don't want surprises.

Try to understand the origin of your paranoia, if it comes all form the some place, quit smoking and try to fix or work on it and before considering smoking again, it will not make any safer, but more enjoyable.

Do you have any meds that that can neutralizes if somethings with weed goes bad? For me abilify ins't the best for it.

I smoke once in a blue blue, most of the time I benefit from it not from stress relief but simple for putting life in a different perspective, basically doors of perceptions without mescaline. Ps: I used to live on the west coast too.

Edited by uncomfortable thoughts

If you are going to continue exploring this path, but don't have access to super-detailed information, I would suggest at least trying to find out the basic info about what you are buying, if you can - you know, whether it is generally indica, sativa or a hybrid. Here in the states, spec. where it is decriminalized or legalized for medical purposes or whatever, the bud tenders offer so much detail as to what specific, shall we say, "brand" is best for what symptoms, but as far as buying it from regular people, they might know, at least whether it is indica, sativa or hybrid. Personally, I find hybrids work best for me because they chill me out without knocking me out. This might be a good route for you to go because a sativa might make you more anxious and paranoid and an indica might knock you on your ass. Hybrids are a nice balance as far as the overall effects go. If possible, aim for an indica-dominant hybrid if you can find anyone who sell it, since you are sing it for anxiety/anger/agitation, and the like. I heard somewhere that, at least here in the states, most weed sold on the streets are hybrid types. I'm not sure if that is true of NZ as well, but I think it would be a good idea to ask whoever you buy it from if they know. I mean, these days, even weed salesmen and women are keeping up with the times, so, even if they themselves don't know, they probably know who does and can ask them.

**but this is really all I know, as, I am no expert... I just know the basics and what I know from personal experience. If anybody has any corrections, please, correct me**

As far as dosing goes, I would suggest joints. I used to smoke out of bongs in high school/college, but if you aren't sure what a decent dose is, use a joint. As you know, bongs deliver a lot in a single hit and you might not need that much. With joints, you smoke it slower and you can put it out when you've had enough/hit your therapeutic dose. 

Good luck with everything. I hope you find something that works.

Disclaimer.

I'm not advocating marijuana use. I am purely interested in knowing more about it's medicinal properties for my own potential benefit. I am not a doctor.

If you are happy with these disclaimers read on. 

hi JT. Reading over your reply I really didn't appreciate how judgemental your reaction was. Your message sounded like you've never been in a place where the only option left open to you is one you're willing to take because all the other doors are closed. It lacked a degree of empathy. Please take my feedback on board for future postings.

I'm not trying to be judgmental, and I'm sorry if I came off that way. ​I do think it's a bad idea for someone with MI and I said it. I don't think you should be introducing other drugs into your treatment scheme unless it is with the approval of your pdoc

If you want to do it, it's up to you. But I would rather have a serious talk with my pdoc.

By the way, I've been there without options, and to an extent I still am. So you might take that on board before you make assumptions about my station in life.

I smoke everyday at night before going to bed. Just a little. It is my escape and I'm not giving it up. I enjoy it. Interestingly, this thread has made me realize that I've never told my pdoc this.  Hmmm.

Now, keep in mind, I've never experienced paranoia or psychosis so it's easy for me to say that it doesn't affect me negatively. If I did experience either, I think I would stop in a heartbeat and discuss with my pdoc.

Xmo -

Thanks for giving your perspective, super useful in my books - thanks. Obviously not advocating people start trying this, but in my case keen to see if it will help. The person I know will know a lot about it and is a friend - he's not a dealer but works 9-5, but gets directly from the grower as I understand. He's pretty passionate about the topic so I think he should know a lot next time I see him will ask. Tried again tonight to combat racing thoughts & hyperactivity. Seemed to help with slowing everything down. Of course know I am taking a risk but balancing it out with the reality of my situation where I am not being provided with alternatives I don't know what else to do & it is making me a nicer person to be around in any case. Thanks for your input again, really appreciated it

Uncomfortable thoughts -
Thanks for the info about the CHB levels, interesting to know

It -
Appreciate your reply & agree that I need to talk to my pdoc about this and intend on doing some independent research on this topic before I see him - always good to be armed with the facts.

Like most people I only make assumptions when they are useful or necessary not necessarily true. But actually in this case I said "sounded like" which meant I was not assuming anything. You gave the impression that you've never had to make that choice (from your didactic message and apparent lack of empathy). It was a piece of constructive criticism & feedback on my part, you decide whether to take it on board or not, that's up to you.

You sound def talk to your pdoc about this, but let me tell you what happened to me: When I first started seeing my new pdoc, I told her that I was smoking marijuana. She insisted that I stopped or she wouldn't prescribe me my Xanax that I need for anxiety. She gave me some speech about marijuana interacting with benzos. Ever since then, I have been drug tested every 2 weeks! She says the drug tests are because I'm on benzos, but I think she's just making sure I'm not smoking marijuana. It took me almost 2 months to finally test negative after I stopped smoking on a daily basis. She was convinced I was still smoking, but I was just such a heavy smoker that it took a long time for my system to clear out. I really miss smoking my nightly blunt and getting that relaxing feeling, but after that last time; it scared me sober! Some pdoc are pretty lenient are marijuana(my pain doctor is totally cool with it), and some pdoc(like mine) are very anti-marijuana. Even though I haven't smoked in months, I still have to submit to biweekly drug tests. I just wanted to tell you what happened to me, in case it could prevent it from happening to you. Hopefully your pdoc is alot cooler than mine. Good luck!

I talked to my psychiatrist about smoking it, I used to read some articles too.

When I said I was smoking because of lack of motivation we tried ritalin instead, his idea, since THC was working, he said he felt it would be safer for me to receive dopamine from a mild stimulant, well, with Ritalin I don't get insights or different perspective on thing, but somehow there are phases while I'm on it, first I chill and get sleepy, than I get interested in learning and reading which after a while can give me some new perspective and insights.

I hope you find what's the best for you and remember, it's CBD and here some info: 

•  
  1. Numerous studies suggest that CBD acts to reduce the intoxicating effects of THC, such as memory impairment and paranoia. CBD also appears to counteract the sleep-inducing effects of THC, which may explain why some strains of cannabis are known to increase alertness.Feb 23, 2014
Edited by uncomfortable thoughts

I think the British have studied this the most. I read something that modern day weed has THC far in excess of CBD so that it affects people in a negative way. Unless you are smoking a milder weed that means you might run into problems. 

I know I did... twice. First psychotic episode I recovered completely in a week of risperdal. Said hey what's the big deal, started smoking again a few years later. Still here recovering or trying to from the second one.

People have their strong opinions about marijuana. I LOVED smoking. I smoked since high school. I think it might have ruined my life. 

I think the main thing is that marijuana is a wild card; unless you're buying the same strain each time, you can't be sure what you're going to get.  I have found that the negative effects of smoking usually take a little while to rear their ugly heads, but once they do it sucks.  Loads of paranoia and guilt have been my experience.  Also increased agoraphobia.

Hello,  professional nut and phoenix rising.

I guess THC and paranoia/psychosis has more than one simple explanation, not only chemical and biological pre disposition for it but environmental too.

As for CBD "they" believe it helps with paranoid thoughts as contra point of THC common effects and I'm with Phoenix_Rising, it can be a wild card and ruin your process of getting stable. 

I just wanted to say what others have already mentioned; marijuana can put you at risk for psychosis. If you're prone to psychosis, it might not be the best idea to use marijuana unless you know how your brain reacts to it.

That said, marijuana is the only thing that got me through my final semester at art school. I was having such bad anxiety that I had a great  deal of difficulty working. Hell, most of the time I flat-out couldn't work. I used marijuana (in the form of edibles) to ease my anxiety. It left me relaxed enough to work, but didn't make me sleepy or sap my motivation. It just helped me to balance out mentally and emotionally.

If you're going to use marijuana and you know that the strain you're using jives well with you, then edibles are a good option. The effect lasts longer than it does if you smoke. If you don't know how you react to the strain, then it's a bad idea to use edibles for the same reason (you don't want to have a prolonged period of anxiety/paranoia/etc. after eating something.) The only other thing that can be problematic is if you have housemates or live in a multi-family house, since the process of making cannabutter or cannabis oil produces a very strong marijuana smell. When I made edibles I used a pan like this to dose out my cakes or brownies.  I would freeze my leftover cakes and brownies and take them out of the freezer as I needed them. I was using "street" weed (not medical grade), so eating medium sized brownies or cake slices wasn't an issue. For medical grade marijuana, you'll want to take a much smaller dose.

I now use ativan for my anxiety. Mostly because I cannot afford marijuana. They both work well for me, though the marijuana doesn't make me drowsy like ativan does. Maybe talk with your pdoc about other options, as well as the marijuana?

If you're going to use marijuana and you know that the strain you're using jives well with you, then edibles are a good option. 

Have to disagree with that. 

Edibles can take more time to start kicking in but almost every edible has more THC and pick top levels at some point of your digestion which surpass the intake of overall THC, they were trying to measure and regulate, don't know how that is going since I move out USA, besides it takes longer to process, so if it triggers you a psychotic attack it will stay longer in your system, which one would you rather?