CrazyBoards.org

Is this a grandiose plan?

I have a big programming experience. Would it be grandiose and unrealistic for me to want to program a piece of software which is basically digital DSM or ICD? Basically, one enters symptoms, and gets a diagnosis. It would act according to simple rules - it would merely compare the entered symptoms to the DSM or ICD symptoms, and provide what diagnosis matches these symptoms, if any. It would only act as a diagnostic assistance tool, not some sort of artificial intelligence which would replace psychiatry.

I realize that it would require a lot of time and dedication. I also realize that it most likely would be useless as psychiatry is very subjective and is currently based on human experience. Is it a grandiose plan? Does it reach the threshold of grandiose delusion?

I asked several psychiatrists and nurses whether it was realistic, and got very mixed responses. The last psychiatrist I asked said that it would not be realistic since "there's always a human factor". I asked him whether it was a delusion, and he said "it's particular; we will talk about this later". What did he mean by "it's particular"?

It would be not only grandiose but most likely harmful. We have many years of cumulative experience of mental health issues to draw upon here at CB, and we don't diagnose. Only full trained and, ideally, experienced, medical personnel should do that.

But it's also not a replacement for a visit to a doctor, and for the Mentally Interesting in particular, since there is so much overlap in the symptoms of our maladies, and because so many of us need meds and need to be one them for most of our lives, it isn't terribly constructive to decide what you have before you get any kind of evaluation.

I have a big programming experience. Would it be grandiose and unrealistic for me to want to program a piece of software which is basically digital DSM or ICD? Basically, one enters symptoms, and gets a diagnosis. It would act according to simple rules - it would merely compare the entered symptoms to the DSM or ICD symptoms, and provide what diagnosis matches these symptoms, if any. It would only act as a diagnostic assistance tool, not some sort of artificial intelligence which would replace psychiatry.

I realize that it would require a lot of time and dedication. I also realize that it most likely would be useless as psychiatry is very subjective and is currently based on human experience. Is it a grandiose plan? Does it reach the threshold of grandiose delusion?

I asked several psychiatrists and nurses whether it was realistic, and got very mixed responses. The last psychiatrist I asked said that it would not be realistic since "there's always a human factor". I asked him whether it was a delusion, and he said "it's particular; we will talk about this later". What did he mean by "it's particular"?

​I don't know what he meant. Maybe that it depends on the details whether ikt is a delusion. you can ask when you talk

But it's also not a replacement for a visit to a doctor, and for the Mentally Interesting in particular, since there is so much overlap in the symptoms of our maladies, and because so many of us need meds and need to be one them for most of our lives, it isn't terribly constructive to decide what you have before you get any kind of evaluation.

I agree with gearhead

​There are some simple screening tests for things like depression. It doesn't replace a doctor's visit, but it can be used to get a sense of where you are at.

I don't think the issue with dx is matching the symptoms, it is recognizing them as a whole. There are a number of tests already. But, the tests are administered by someone trained.

You don't have to use the proper medical terms when you are describing symptoms. If you say you "space out" and describe it to a pdoc they will understand if you mean dissociation. When  I've had auditory hallucinations there are more questions- male/female? my own voice? plural? what do they say? I don't think you could capture all of that in a test.

If you do want to do something with your programming experience that could help help people  maybe cognitive dysfunction would be an area. My memory has become worse.

You could program mazes, memory tests, that sort of thing, that you could compare over time. I know there are plenty of those, too, it is just a thought.

Thanks for confirming what I thought. It seems like this has been done many times before, even from the times of the beginning of the Internet, with various sites offering "symptom checkers" to make possible diagnoses based on the symptoms - from mental health to other diagnoses.

I think making apps to improve memory would be a good idea. I have a very good knowledge of mnemonics, so I could probably make an app which would teach mnemonics, provide quizzes and tests, timed practice, etc. This also provides a good business opportunity as I already own a site on mnemonics and memory improvement - I could sell my software on that site. And provide it for free for those who suffer from various pathologies which affect memory.