CrazyBoards.org

How does wellbutrin work?

Hi,

I've been on Wellbutrin XL 300mg for a while, and it's the best thing I've ever found for depression without horrible side effects that make me more anxious.

However, I've been way more depressed lately - really not well.  I'm not the best about taking my meds... I take Lamictal and Keppra for seizures, and I miss a lot of those doses.  The wellbutrin, I try to really make sure I take because I'm so depressed lately, but sometimes I take it at night, sometimes in the morning.

Do you think taking it inconsistently and at different times inhibits its effectiveness?  Is it really important I take it in the morning, or can I take it in the morning sometimes and night sometimes?  Should I ask my doctor about going to 450mg per day, if it might help again at that dose?

Thanks.

If you've been taking it for a while, it shouldn't matter when you take it, but consistency is best. Morning is also best to get coverage throughout the day and to enable you to sleep at night. There is nothing wrong with asking your doctor about taking 450 mg, however since you are susceptible to seizures don't be surprised if he doesn't want to raise it.

Can you set an alarm to remember to take your meds more consistently? Or perhaps, get a pill box divided into different times of the day? It's really important to be consistent with your meds. Perhaps more important than when you take them.

Be cautious with Wellbutrin because it can lower the seizure threshold, especially if you're prone to seizures. Take the AC's for the seizures, because you don't want to have another one.

How does any of this stuff work...  Its disturbing to read up on a lot of drugs where the why and or how are not understood.  *Not just mental health drugs but everything.

Part of me thinks that they are pretty sure they know but lawyers are circling around waiting to pounce.  

It seems to work for a lot of people which might be the important part.

I took all my meds in the evening again today... not ideal, but at least I took them all.

I'm mostly confused that, if it takes 4-6 weeks for an antidepressant to kick in, could it really make any difference if you take it in the evening as opposed to the morning if there's a 4 week lag.

I just wish I knew more about wellbutrin than just, "The exact mechanism of action is unknown...", I HATE that copout!

Thanks VE for the link.

I only have 300mg XL tabs... I'm kinda tempted to take an extra one here and there, I'm desperate to be pulled out of this depression.  I'm lost in my irrational thoughts, full of cognitive distortions.  But, the cycle is bad, and I know my thinking needs to get straight and I'm putting too much pressure on wellbutrin to fix things.

I just thought maybe, just possibly, it could help me enough to get out of bed, to accomplish things so I'm not down on myself.  Break this positive feedback loop of being depressed, then loss of motivation and accomplishments makes me more depressed, then that makes me accomplish less...

I think I'm going to take an extra Wellbutrin tonight (I took one this morning) just because I'm so desperate.  Maybe I need to take really small baby steps and set really small goals, like clean the bathroom or something.

I just feel like I'm back to where I started 10 years ago, and that thought... guess what?  Adds to my depression and pushes the cycle round and round.

Please don't take an extra Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin is one med that is known to cause seizures at high doses. If you need to, make an appointment with your pdoc to ask about going up to 450 mg. But 600 mg is almost unheard of.

Also, try to be consistent with your meds, especially your anticonvulsants. 

Okay, I was consistent this morning (not that one time = consistent), but at least I took all my meds this morning.  I'll take them all tomorrow morning too when I wake up, even the anticonvulsants.

In the meantime I guess I'll just go to sleep and hope that my thoughts work themselves out in my dreams or maybe aren't there in the morning.