CrazyBoards.org

Contingency Plans

So, I have been thinking about the past again. Specifically about how much of a mess I was in the 15 years I was untreated. It got me thinking, maybe I should put together a packet of information for my family (or a short video) explaining the basics of bipolar disorder, my typical symptoms, how to properly handle specific situation and when it is time to take me to a hospital, etc., you know, just in case. But I'm not exactly sure of what else I should include in such an emergency plan. So I was wondering... do any of you have a sort of contingency plan in place for worst case scenarios? If so, what do you have included in it? So far, besides what I put above, I was thinking of including a list of current medications and doses, docs and their phone numbers, etc. Anyway, I was just curious and looking for suggestions if you guys have any to offer. Thanks!

I was thinking of including a list of current medications and doses, docs and their phone numbers, etc. 

^^I think this is very important information to give whomever you are making the packet of info or video for.  The rest of the information is also important, but IMO the most important information for significant others to have (that you want them to have) are the meds, DRs, and their phone numbers.

Personally I don't have an emergency plan except that my mom knows how to get in touch with my psychiatrist in an emergency.

Would your family be interested in watching info on BP? It would suck if you put a lot of work in, and then they blew it off. I'm not trying to discourage you, just "thinking" out loud.

But the list of meds and Dr's numbers is a good idea. In fact, I'm going to make one up, thanks for the idea.

You're on the right track, in my opinion.  If you have pets, I'd recommend pre-arranging someone to watch them should you find yourself in the hospital.  I also gave my key to my house to a close friend so she could get in in case I'm hospitalized.