CrazyBoards.org

People pointing out your delusions - help or hindrance?

How do you feel about people pointing out to you when you are being delusional? Do you feel that it helps you to try and get back to reality (if you can) or do you find it frustrating? On the one hand I am grateful when people point it out to me but then on the other hand I do get defensive. I guess it depends on how bad the delusion is at the time.

I get angry that they are challenging something that I believe. Or frustrated that no one believes me. 

when I am coming out of an episode, I might like help reality checking. But, I would prefer to ask first.

The worst thing, as far as upsetting me, they could do is make faces or laugh about my thoughts. Or, try to control things that aren't hurting anyone. I used to scan the newspaper looking for codes. I would have resented it if someone took the paper away.

I get a little defensive also when I'm called out as having delusions.  I mean, maybe they know exactly what I am talking about but are playing dumb ... and the reason for playing dumb is that not everyone is on on whatever the delusion is, and they don't want to look stupid.

I'll figure out whether what I think are delusions with reality checks (now I do, at least), but hate when others tell me something isn't true/is delusional.

I guess that I’m in the minority here, but I actually prefer when people tell me directly that I’m delusional, although I may not believe them.  I guess that I’m more likely to take them seriously if they seem to listen to what I’m saying and give me reasons why it isn’t true.  But it also depends on how much insight I have at the time.     

I think in the long run it's helpful when someone NICELY suggests to me that whatever it is at the time isn't something most people believe to be true. I mean if no-one points anything out I can't get meds adjusted if needed and it can spiral out of control.

At the same time it causes a lot of stress on both me and the person pointing it out (usually my husband) because when I'm in the midst of it I think I'm right and anyone who disagrees is obviously part of the problem. 

I usually don't even know I've been delusional though because I don't talk about most things with people except useless stuff or something pertaining to the current situation... I find out when I find stuff I've written during an episode later on.

I think in the long run it's helpful when someone NICELY suggests to me that whatever it is at the time isn't something most people believe to be true. I mean if no-one points anything out I can't get meds adjusted if needed and it can spiral out of control.

At the same time it causes a lot of stress on both me and the person pointing it out (usually my husband) because when I'm in the midst of it I think I'm right and anyone who disagrees is obviously part of the problem. 

I usually don't even know I've been delusional though because I don't talk about most things with people except useless stuff or something pertaining to the current situation... I find out when I find stuff I've written during an episode later on.

This is why I'm in two minds about people pointing it out to me. On the one hand I think how dare you disregard my beliefs which I believe to be real but on the other hand if I'm delusional but haven't quite reached the point of totally losing touch with reality then a part of me feels grateful that I have a chance to use the strategies I've been given to try and rid myself of the thoughts.

In my observations, at least half of the time, there is some merit to the delusions that people hold. They are simply mixing up some of their dots. If you take the time to have a casual debate with them, they are often making sense aside from their mind filling in a few blanks on its own, and thus creating the delusion in the first place. They also tend to be interested in sorting it out so long as they are approached as an intelligent person trying to critically think through something. It can make for some very stimulating and interesting conversations. I used to have a comrade of sorts who suffered from paranoid delusions regarding the government, but in talking with them about it, it was fairly easy to see how they were drawing their conclusions, and they were clearly not stupid. They were just filling in some blanks unnecessarily as their mind ran wild. It was fairly easy to guide them back down to earth by agreeing with all the observations and points that they had correct, and approaching it from a perspective of wanting to be correct in order to be effective in resisting what they deemed to be danger and corruption. If I had not felt some semblance of respect for them due to their loyalty, I know that I could have wound them up terribly by simply arguing against their entire perception as delusional. Which ironically is what I think a lot of Nons do in order to "help". Ha.

Edited by BloodGeist

I have never had this happen because I keep the delusions to myself while they are happening. 

The frustrating thing is when people try to tell me I'm being delusional about stuff when I'm actually sobered up and sane on meds. 

They just don't know what they are talking about and don't realise how difficult the medical system is. 

Some people are instructed to NOT tell people they are delusional, but I think that's bad advice.  If I'm delusional I want to know. 

I depend on gaging the reactions of my husband to determine if something is real or imagined. If he points out a delusion, the back of my mind will try and dismiss it, but I have built up so much trust in him that I will believe his observations over my own.