CrazyBoards.org

Why does this keep happening?

Terrorisums24

Okay, so here I am constantly time over time again being called "Jewish" because of the way that I look? I have dark hair and blue eyes, and that's what everyone asking me if I'm Jewish is supposedly for. Some people even asked me if I carry a little drawstring bag filled with gold around my neck (hence the term "Jew Gold"). Some people even made holocaust jokes about the way that I look. 

10616381_1393350937570619_57103345841469

936483_657608440933578_989155788_n.jpg?o

18009_1517272941845084_29784399867137397

I'm sorry if I posted so many pictures, but I just want you to look through them and see if you can find some Jewish in me.

Edited by Terrorisums24

Okay, wow, I never would've use the term "Jewish". IDK, nothing came to mind actually, just that you're extremely good looking. I don't use labels. Sorry you're going through this, I hope you can work your way through it.

People ask me sometimes too. What they see in me that is stereotypically Jewish - is actually British. The Jewish side of my family has blonde hair and blue eyes. They look Aryan (and a lot of them still died in Nazi death camps. Go figure). People who ask are being racist. Racism sucks! You can try to educate them if you want, but you don't have you. You can tell them to fuck off and move on if you want. 

People ask me sometimes too. What they see in me that is stereotypically Jewish - is actually British. The Jewish side of my family has blonde hair and blue eyes. They look Aryan (and a lot of them still died in Nazi death camps. Go figure). People who ask are being racist. Racism sucks! You can try to educate them if you want, but you don't have you. You can tell them to fuck off and move on if you want. 

​Thank you, I was looking for that kind of answer! You sound cool!

Oh and btw, since I live in the south, bigotry is always about, if you know what I mean.

Edited by Terrorisums24

I'm sorry people are saying stuff like that to you.  If someone asked me if I carried "Jew Gold" around my neck I'd tell them to fuck off.

​And also I have Schizophreniform Disorder, which according to a quick Google search, is one of the mental disorders that Ashkenazi Jews are commonly diagnosed with. I talk fast and mumble a lot if that has to do with anything.

I'm sorry people are saying stuff like that to you.  If someone asked me if I carried "Jew Gold" around my neck I'd tell them to fuck off.

​And also I have Schizophreniform Disorder, which according to a quick Google search, is one of the mental disorders that Ashkenazi Jews are commonly diagnosed with. I talk fast and mumble a lot if that has to do with anything.

​I don't think talking fast and mumbling a lot has anything to do with religion.

​I don't think talking fast and mumbling a lot has anything to do with religion.

​But isn't jewish also an ethnicity (or a group ethnicities)?

I don't even know what "Jewish" looks like. I think the only Jewish stereotype I know is they are money obsessed (but really, who isn't?) and I am aware that it is a stereotype, so probably not true. I thought Jewish people wore something on their head though? Or is that a different religion?

It's called a yarmulke or kippah. Rosie is right, it is usually the more orthodox Jews who wear them.

I've never heard Ashkenazi (sp?) Jews are prone to schizophrenia. Ever. The illness I hear genetically associated with Jews, and it is only Sephardic Jews (who are less numerous), is Tay-Sachs Disease, which affects babies, and is incurable.

Judaism is a religion and a culture and many cultures as well. I consider myself an ethnic Jew, but don't believe in G-d. Some Jews would say that because I'm not religious, it doesn't count, but most Jews accept the idea of cultural Judaism.

If someone said I had Jew gold around my neck, I'd want to kick them in the teeth.

And also I have Schizophreniform Disorder, which according to a quick Google search, is one of the mental disorders that Ashkenazi Jews are commonly diagnosed with. I talk fast and mumble a lot if that has to do with anything.

I don't think talking fast and mumbling a lot has anything to do with religion.

But isn't jewish also an ethnicity (or a group ethnicities)?

Jewish is a religion, not an ethnicity. Being Israeli, italian, romanian, or whatever is an ethnicity. 

It's called a yarmulke or kippah. Rosie is right, it is usually the more orthodox Jews who wear them.

I've never heard Ashkenazi (sp?) Jews are prone to schizophrenia. Ever. The illness I hear genetically associated with Jews, and it is only Sephardic Jews (who are less numerous), is Tay-Sachs Disease, which affects babies, and is incurable.

Judaism is a religion and a culture and many cultures as well. I consider myself an ethnic Jew, but don't believe in G-d. Some Jews would say that because I'm not religious, it doesn't count, but most Jews accept the idea of cultural Judaism.

If someone said I had Jew gold around my neck, I'd want to kick them in the teeth.

Agreed on the last part. I'm an atheist myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, thanks for saying you're from the south. I was gonna ask where you live. I'm in California and most of us are too mixed ethnically/racially (and dumb) to even know what Jewish looks like. I wouldn't even be able to tell you what I am, other than American, and no, not "Native American," although I am native to America. :) 

I've not been too far from CA but made it to Chicago one time. I totally noticed the ethnic segregation, if that's what you call it. There were ethnic (Italian, Irish, English, etc) neighborhoods and churches. I was kind of in awe of it. Is that common in the eastern and/or southern parts of the country? Or maybe a big city thing? 

Well, if you ever get tired of hearing it, come on out to California. Of course then people will just think you swam across the Rio Grande from Mexico. Lol ;) 

Jewish is a religion, not an ethnicity. Being Israeli, italian, romanian, or whatever is an ethnicity. 

Judaism is a religion and a culture. People who don't practice the religion, but have Jewish ancestors (especially female ancestors), eat certain foods, celebrate certain holidays with no religious context, share a certain vocabulary, etc. are considered cultural or ethnic Jews. You can be an atheist, but be considered Jewish

Believe me, growing up a Jew in the US singles you out. Yes, there are Jewish enclaves, but, for instance, my best friend in law school had never met a Jew before meeting me. We were the only Jewish family in my elementary school and jr. high school. Someone asked me once if I worshiped Zeus

Here is Google's definition of ethnicity:

An ethnic group or ethnicity is a socially defined category of people who identify with each other based on common ancestral, social, cultural or national experience.