CrazyBoards.org

Notes at Pdoc?

Does anyone else take notes about their symptoms to their appointments.  I do, but sometimes I wonder if the doc might think I'm creating a self-fulfuling prophecy, but the truth is I get to the appt. and my mind goes blank like the toothache that goes away soon as you get to the dentist.

• Like 1

It's pretty common. I don't take notes, but I make a mental list that I go over and over on the hour drive I have to get to my pdoc. I still sometimes forget things. If it's working for you, there is no reason why you shouldn't take the notes with you. You can tell your doctor that it's too easy to forget what you need to talk to him/her about. With all the cognitive side effects of meds, I think your doc will understand that.

• Like 1

I always bring notes. There is no way I would be able to remember everything otherwise. My pdocs have liked it, because it makes the appt. go faster, and it allows us to cover anything.

Anyway, I don't think your pdoc is going to think it is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Like 1

I often bring notes, otherwise I always miss something that I had intended to say. When I'm in the middle of an episode and am low on insight, my partner has even taken notes on my symptoms for me. In general, my pdoc finds these notes helpful. 

• Like 1

Not only do I take notes to my appointments, I take note during my appointments. I go to the doc to get useful information. Forgetting what we talked about the minute I walk out the door is a waste of my time and money.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely write notes and will pull them out if I need them. I normally crack a joke along the lines of "at the risk of seeming neurotic..."

I think p-doc's understand better than the average doctor that a patient might need to take notes.

At the end of the day: nobody cares as much as you do (well, hopefully), so there's no harm or shame in doing everything you can to make sure you're getting the best possible treatment. :)

-m

• Like 1

I do not only to psychiatrist but with psychologist too.

This month one of the notes are about neuroleptics.

I'm trying to find one that suits me right, I did a note of how I don't need the heavy hypnotic effects of quetiapine and how it mostly working calming me down even in the lowest doses and how difficult can it be to replace the hypnotics effects or lose the weight, I can't control myself around food at the first hour of taken quetiapine against how risperidone can be taken at any time, works better on my delusions and mood, I don't binge as hard but keeps me hungry for more time.

Finding how I react to the drug and making notes is the only way that I find out to find the right ones...

Until now, I'm only satisfied with my mood stabilizer, I have notes of how ritalin in working on my depression but I'm not sure if it's the best option.

I try to discuss my symptoms too, I found a doctor that I finally can take more than a half hour on an appointment without any cracky face.

I need to find something that isn't lorazepam/alprazolam/dizepam/zolpidem for ocasional insomnia.

i really endorse the note taking, for symptoms, side effects and how you're feeling about.

My mother for example she can't discern the effects and side effects from her meds and she isn't interested as I'm on knowing what works the best for me, I'm trying to help her evaluate those things to see if she get's better.

• Like 1

I also bring notes to pdoc, especially when there is a ton on my mind.  If I don't write it down I ruminate about it all until I go to the DR, which drives me crazy. Plus I always forget to say something.  Always.  So by writing stuff down I don't forget anything.

I take notes to all my appointments (nurse, doctor, psychologist) and sometimes I take notes during the appointments too. My mind has a hard time organising what I want to say and saying it clearly. If I let it tangle up in confusion, then I forget half of what I was meant to discuss. I don't think I get judged for it. In my opinion it's a good idea, it keeps the meeting focused. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...