CrazyBoards.org

Which med caused you decreased or loss of libido?

My therapist told me to ask my pdoc for anti depressants to stop the urges to masturbate every day.

I don't like the urges. I want to stop the urge to masturbate daily. I prefer to eliminate the urge. I prefer to masturbate once a week or once a month. 

My therapist doesn't want me to get depo provera shots or put hormones into my body to stop the urges.

I take 2 anti depressants but I get the urge to masturbate every day. I don't like my life having these urges.

What are u taking to reduce the urges to masturbate?

Sometimes these urges come and go and I feel I want to end it all cos it takes me a lot of energy and effort and it's

a waste of time and energy to masturbate once a day.

I feel ashamed to have these urges. I watch TV and these urges hit me once a day.

Citalopram turned me into a eunuch. That is NOT a good thing. You may not be in a relationship now, but maybe sometime you will be in a relationship and wished you had some of that libido back. Citalopram is at least in part responsible for the break up of a long-term relationship of mine. 

Which AD will do it to you is as individual as which AD works for you to relieve your depression. We are all different. Be careful what you wish for ... you might get it.

It's ok to have these urges once per week just not every day. I prefer to have the urge to masturbate just once a month like one of my friend.

I don't like having the urge every day. I took citalopram before. I don't recall what my libido was like when I took it.

Effexor eliminated my libido for only 1 week.

How old are you?  

That sounds pretty normal to me for someone in their teens to early 20's.  As you age your hormones gradually settle down.  There may come a day when you miss the high libido.

There's no need to compare your habits with that to anyone else.  I know I have lied a few times about how often I did that because I was embarrassed... your friend could be doing the same.

Are there other ways you could reduce the frequency of masturbation without taking meds?  CBT, DBT, etc?  Distraction techniques?  What if you made a list of more productive things you could do when you feel the "urge."

What harm is it really doing?  Where is your guilt about this coming from?  

I say if you enjoy it it is no more a waste of time than other things a person could do, like playing video games or watching sports.

Maybe you could just get it out of the way and then you don't have to think about it again for a while. 

Edited by koa

How long as this been going on for?

I had a couple of severe manic states where I was masturbating up 5 times a day. I called my Pdoc and he called me right back and made a med change.

Primarily upped my mood stabilizers. 

I still most likely masturbate more than the overall population.  Much like you its daily or every other day.

I can distract myself, but if I dont take care of business I will spontaneously orgasm.  Which can be fun but a bit intrusive while at work. 

I have worked with my tdoc for distraction techniques and I also avoid tight clothing and such. In other words I try to limit stimulation so I can remain in control. 

I enjoy it so its not something I am overly concerned about.  I am no teenager either. 

But will contact my Pdoc if I am back to many times a day or feel like I need to find a partner.  

If you really are having a difficulty work with both Tdoc and Pdoc for a solution.  Many meds kill libido. I am sure there is one out there that can help and your not alone.

My Zoloft absolutely obliterates my sex drive. If memory serves, Paxil is supposed to have some of the highest rates of sexual dysfunction.

I would personally be somewhat wary of using psych meds specifically for this, as I would not want to upset an otherwise stable cocktail. But I'm not a pdoc, of course.

I would personally be somewhat wary of using psych meds specifically for this, as I would not want to upset an otherwise stable cocktail. But I'm not a pdoc, of course.

This and the fact you are treating something that might be entirely normal and natural even though you find it inconvenient. As Koa said, the day may come when you wished you had some of it back. Once a day to me seems in the range of normal.

Don't compare yourselves to others. You just don't know what is true and what is not true. And people have different levels of sex drive. We're not all the same (and that's good).

When I was in high school my libido was higher. After college it reduced a bit. I'm sorry that celexa killed your libido and caused a break up in the relationship.

I had no idea a girl would leave a guy if he had no libido. When I was hypersexual from mania a few years ago I was masturbating 5-6 times a day. That happened once only and

my pdoc knows but he didn't say anything.

I believe I always had higher sex drive than most people. I can go 2-3 days without masturbating but I would have to resist the urge with willpower.

My therapist told me to use the sexual energy for something else. I mowed the lawn today for 20 minutes to use the sexual energy.

I also watch TV to distract myself. When I watch TV sometimes my body keeps asking me to masturbate and I get frustrated. 

My friend said he wished he had higher sex drive. He said it's a blessing to have good sex drive. I told him I prefer to have low sex drive. 

I love the days when my libido is low and my body doesn't ask me to masturbate for a few days. However it doesn't happen often.

I asked my primary doctor for depo provera shot to lower libido. I believe it works like chemical castration however he didn't want to and told me to see my psychiatrist.

I told my psychiatrist if effexor and luvox would lower my libido and he said they would. However, they worked for a short period of time and after a few weeks of taking antidepressants my strong libido returned.

I believe when I was in high school I used to masturbate 1-2 a day. Now I am happy I don't have to do it as  much. I believe I'll be happier when I get much older because

I heard older people get less urges.

My friend is 58 years old and he said he only has to do it once a month.

Gee...I whack off pretty much daily. I will be 42 in less than a month.

...It's kind of like brushing my teeth?

I do it so I can stop goggling at exposed cleavage and/or involuntarily looking at guy's bulges, because otherwise...I have a really hard time behaving myself. Embarrassing.

...Prozac killed my sex drive for about 9 months, but there's nothing that will knock that down forever.

It comes back in all its' annoying and entertaining glory, no matter what.

I recommend you look at it like brushing your teeth...or more of a sanity-inducing procedure...

Oh...lube is your friend. Keeps things from chafing.

That and try to alternate hands, otherwise you get uneven forearm development.

Edited by Stickler

I do it so I can stop goggling at exposed cleavage and/or involuntarily looking at guy's bulges, because otherwise...I have a really hard time behaving myself. Embarrassing.

^^^^^ That. I don't see it as a problem, it's a normal function. I mean, if it's so bad that you can't leave the house that is a problem. I don't think doing it once a day is a big deal. But that is my opinion. Sometimes I wish my husband would do it so he doesn't bug me quite so much.

carlossong -

Let's get this out of the way first - a daily urge to masturbate is normal and healthy for a 25-year-old male.  It is not a physical or mental pathology that needs treatment.  Your body is at its optimal reproductive stage and is behaving accordingly.

That being said, you still come to us with the problem that you are distressed by this.  Since the urges are physiologically normal, the cause of your distress must therefore be mental.  Have you considered what thoughts may be causing the distress?  For me, I have always had a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with my libido from the time I started having one, originally based in religious belief, and then in uncertainty about sexual orientation.  I ultimately resolved this by realizing that I was a speck of cosmic dust in the Universe and why would God give a damn if a speck of cosmic dust had an orgasm that it was engineered to have?  But that's me.  You will have your own reasons for despising your desire or your inability to keep from acting on it.

Remember these things:  Your body is designed to do this; that is why you have the urges, and that is why they are strong.  If you masturbate in an appropriate setting, you harm no one. Do not do so at the public library or at a children's playground; these are not appropriate settings.  Look at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs - at the most basic level of needs for human survival, at the level of breathing, is sex.  Rather than trying to eliminate your natural functions, you should rather be exploring with a therapist why this particular function troubles you, and working toward acceptance of this positive, normal, healthy aspect of yourself.

Cerberus

I believe I don't like to masturbate because I became very lazy after Schizophrenia and Bipolar symptoms such as lack of motivation.

I heard Wellbutrin could help with laziness but one of my friend said it made him sleepy.
I am slightly overweight maybe 10-15 pounds overweight because I stopped going to the gym

for over 5 years.

I believe I will have more energy if I become thin when I was in high school.

Does anyone know which medications can help with laziness? Do u believe my psychiatrist can help with my laziness from

Schizophrenia and bipolar symptoms if I tell him? 

I used to study hard for high school and college. Now I have a hard time making it to class twice a week.

It's not laziness. It might be some residual negative symptoms or it could be depression, but it's not laziness. Laziness implies you are to blame. You most certainly are not to blame and your desire to change demonstrates that it is not laziness.

Not everyone who takes Wellbutrin gets sleepy from it. I believe that sleepiness from Wellbutrin is a rather unusual reaction. Not saying it can't happen, but it's more likely to be activating. Talk to your pdoc. There are a number of treatment avenues open to you.

My doctor says many of the standard 'mood stabilizers' (Lithium,Depakote,Lamictal,Tegretol) not antidepressants or antipsychotics help (for lack of a better term) "excessive masturbation". He says it's usually a sign of mania.

My Zoloft absolutely obliterates my sex drive. If memory serves, Paxil is supposed to have some of the highest rates of sexual dysfunction.

Paxil does not effect my sex drive physically. More in a mental way... Just the desire to have/peruse sex at all.

Are we making a distinction here between excessive masturbation and a perfectly healthy libido?  Because I think that's an important distinction to make.

The OP sounds like he's talking about a completely normal, healthy libido for a 25 year old-- as Cerberus said, what the OP is describing doesn't sound like pathology.

Yes, excessive masturbation and increased libido can indicated mania, but that doesn't sound like what the OP is describing.

For me, I found that Wellbutrin was energizing and motivating.  It really helped a lot with some of the negative symptoms you are describing and feelings of a lack of motivation.  It also can help some people lose weight.

Ironically, though, in many people it increases libido.  That was a side effect that I liked, because I was on risperdal for years and was like being chemically castrated (which wasn't something I wanted.)

Another thing I wanted to point out is that frequent ejaculation is something that may reduce the risk of prostate cancer.  It really is a biological drive and nothing to be ashamed of.  I know that I've found that if I don't masturbate often enough I will end up having a wet dream, which for me is a lot worse because it messes up the bed sheets, etc.  Your body is producing semen all the time and it will find a way out somehow.  

How long is it taking you to masturbate?  Is that the issue, that it is just taking too much time and energy to do?  

You are lucky if you've been on anti psychotics and have not gained more than 15 pounds.  I know that my weight fluctuates a lot and 15 pounds is something I can gain or lose in 6 months time without having realized it.

Edited by koa

I have heard that paroxetine is the antidepressant which has the strongest effect on sex drive, out of the newer ones anyway.

Although these meds can have a side-effect of reducing one's sex drive, I have found that any profound effect is limited to the initial period after starting the med. In the long run I believe the meds reduce my libido somewhat, but not dramatically.

Since you are already on two ADs and still struggling with your libido, learning to live with it as is may be more sensible. If it were me I would rather treat what is abnormal and unhelpful, which is your personal feeling towards your level of libido, not your libido itself. Tons of guys masturbate every day after all.