CrazyBoards.org

I suffer horrific periods. They cause me a lot of pain.

The biggest difficulty however is my mood before and during. I become profoundly depressed. I mean don't-get-out-of-bed-for-a-week depressed. Suicidal depressed. I cannot stand it. My entire life shuts down once a month. Combined with my rapid mood cycling with borderline, it's a hell storm.

I have tried every brand of birth control available to me. Every single one has made me go off the rails.

My doctor has written me a prescription for the IUD Mirena, claiming that because it releases different types of hormones, it shouldn't mess with my head. She has left the decision in my hands with very little information. The internet isn't that reliable for proper information, but what I have found has not sounded promising.

Has anyone else, who is specifically borderline tried any IUD before? Did it make you nuts? Did it make you fat? Is there even such thing as birth control that doesn't ruin your life?

Most of the oral contraceptives out there (except the "mini pill") contain both estrogens and progestins (two types of hormones that people with anatomically female reproductive systems generally produce).

The Mirena only contains progestins, and no estrogens.  Also, since the system is placed directly into the uterus and absorbed locally, rather than taken by mouth, less of the hormone circulates to the rest of your body (though some still does) and there is a lower dose compared to one of the pills.

That being said, the progestin component is associated with mood problems, so there is no guarantee that you will not have a reaction.  It is not the case that only the estrogen component is responsible for mood effects, and mood problems are on the information sheet for Mirena.  However, it may be that the lower dose and the single hormone would mean that you could tolerate it.

There is also a lower dose IUD on the market (Jaydess in Canada) that has even less progestins in it compared to Mirena (though the incidence of depression in the clinical trial of Jaydess was somewhere between 1% and 10% - I couldn't find the actual number and I do not believe there was any control arm).  The downside is it only lasts 3 years compared to 5.

I cannot help you on the personal experience angle, but from my understanding of the data available, there is certainly a chance that it would help you when the oral options have not, but the risk of mood-related effects is not zero.

Wow, thank you! That is some very interesting information, and I did not know about the Jaydess. This definitely gives me some more points to discuss when I go for my appointment. I'm still on the fence. I've had such bad luck with other birth control that I'm very wary of IUD's.

I can't offer any personal experience on this front, but if you're looking for long-acting reversible birth control without hormones, you could ask about a copper IUD. Zero hormones and they last for ten years. I believe there can be some side-effects, though, you'd definitely want to talk to the doc about that. 

A copper IUD will not effect mood, but it makes periods heavier and more painful.  I have a copper IUD and while I can control the pain with NSAIDs, it's stil an issue.

If birth control pills haven't helped your mood, it's not likely that the Mirena IUD will improve your mood.  If progestins in pill form haven't helped your mood or have made your mood worse than baseline, it's unlikely that they will do so in IUD form.  However, it may effect your mood less than the pills did.

What is your baseline around your period?  Is it worse when you're not on the pill or just worse when you're on the pill?

Have you taken pills such that you don't have periods?  That helps some people.

• 3 weeks later...

I have BPD and use the mirena. Personally, I love it.  I used to use the copper iud but I already used to have bad cramping and heavy periods so that wasn't the best for me. With the mirena I have very rare light periods/spotting which strangely seem to correlate with my eating habits. I haven't suffered any weight gain or other noticeable side effects other than my disappeared periods and cramps which is part of the reason I wanted it in the first place.  I've had it four years now. 

I also have a copper IUD but it was a godsend for my periods. Yes the first few months were hell and I bled and had piercing cramps (like someone is stabbing you) for a month and a half but I no longer have puke fests on my periods. My periods caused me so much pain, I'd throw up like crazy because of the pain. I've missed so much school and work, but now I get my period (yes, it's heavier than normal, I soak through a heavy tampon in like 2 hours for the first couple days) but I haven't had a bad period in months. Like when I get cramps, I get a piercing cramp for 2 minutes max. Personally it beats horrible cramps for days straight that leave me bed ridden. I don't completely hate my periods anymore. I am in a long distance relationship for the next few years, but I'm not getting this thing taken out. I love this thing. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 6/17/2015 at 4:16 AM, maydays said:

Wow, thank you! That is some very interesting information, and I did not know about the Jaydess. This definitely gives me some more points to discuss when I go for my appointment. I'm still on the fence. I've had such bad luck with other birth control that I'm very wary of IUD's.

Hi I'm trying the merina coil tomorrow as I struggle with BPD and PMDD I've previously tried the implant and the depo injection as well as the pill these all had alot of hormones in them so I reacted badly to them I've been told the coil should help me rather than make me worse if it does make me worse it can be removed straight away without any lasting effects as it only releases a small amount of hormone every 24hours into your cervix directly I am going to  try it because if I don't I will never know if it works for me or not 

15 hours ago, Hazel said:

I've previously tried the implant and the depo injection as well as the pill these all had alot of hormones in them so I reacted badly to them.....

I don't need any birth control now, as I am menopausal, but after my last child was born, I had a copper IUD put in....There are no hormones in the copper IUDS......This IUD works for 10 years, no hormonal side effects, and was the best birth control method I've ever used.....I would highly recommend it.

The name of the device is ParaGuard:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/paragard/about/pac-20391270

Edited by CrazyRedhead