CrazyBoards.org

Can concerta lose its effect after a while?

I've been taking concerta for 6-7 years now, sitting at 63 mg. I've been feeling as if it's not working as good as it used. It honestly feels like I'm taking a placebo that has a small amount of caffeine in it. I don't focus as good anymore, I personally feel like it isn't working. I don't know whether I should tell my pdoc that I need the dosage upped or if I should go on a different medication... I fear having to start on a small dose with a new med. Has anybody else had a similar experience with it?

I have a "poop-out" effect with many stimulants; where they loose their effect over time and I have to switch to another (I had this with Ritalin, Ritalin LA and Concerta). However I also tend to get this effect where I don't feel like my med is doing anything until I get off of it, and then I realize it was doing something. It just didn't giving me that "boost" (I tend to do that with Strattera mostly because I don't "feel it").

My suggestion is to tell your doctor what you said here, that you don't feel like it's working anymore - and see if he/she has suggestions on the next step.

But If you are not focusing at all, getting impulsive/making impulsive decisions, not able to concentrate on the task at hand, not able to organize, and taking the Concerta for 7 years AND on 63MG (which is a higher end dose of Concerta) then Id say it's time for a change.