CrazyBoards.org

Fuck InfoWars and Fuck Alex Jones

Bad Haiku

Just finished reading some ignorant, alarmist bullshit over on Infowars about SSRIs causing mass shootings. 

'The shooter was on SSRIs, so that MUST be what caused him to kill people!'

WHAT THE FUCK IS THE LOGIC THERE?

People suck, why does this pathetic anti-science screed show up every time this happens?

I find the recreational use of suboxone, which is supposed to be a way of tapering off of addictive meds, and not an addictive med in itself, pretty disturbing.  Opiate addiction sounds like a pretty hellish epidemic to me and I've seen a lot of negative affects associated with it.

I lived in South Carolina for a while so this shooting is pretty disturbing to me because it hits home quite literally.  

I am tired of conspiracy theorists all around... They trigger the fuck out of my psychosis, even if logically I know they are ridiculous.  My supervisor went on one of her conservative rants that was incredibly offensive... basically she talked about the Roman Empire collapsing and how at some point "the wealthy ruling class just leaves, and then the poor who are used to handouts aren't able to survive," obviously making parallels to the US.  I had relatives that were conspiracy theorists that spouted a lot of stupid paranoid bullshit that would have been very obviously ridiculous to most people... but somehow I feel like hearing a million times about fluoride and chemtrails, the illuminati and reptile aliens from people in my family since I was a child kind of had an impact on me somehow.  

It isn't to say that I don't think "the wealthy ruling class" are often irredeemably corrupt and do a lot of things that would legitimately be classified as conspiratorial... but I guess I feel quite powerless about it all and it seems a waste of time to get worked up over  it.

But anyway, yeah, that's bullshit about the antidepressant.  I guess you could also generalize and say that all young white males are going to go on shooting sprees, since that seems to be the pattern...

Also, statistically, mass shootings don't really happen that often, but when they do they inevitably receive tons of national media attention, so that our awareness of them is greater than the actual likelihood of them actually happening.  Nevermind that the media attention reinforces the shooters' desire to receive fame/notoriety for their act of violence.

Edited by koa

Every time there is a shooting somewhere, the people/press/whomever go looking to see if the shooter was on a psych med, almost like the people want them to be, so it gives them more reason to write more about how (any) psych meds can make people go on shooting sprees.

I have heard of the concerns of ssri medication and violence. I thought maybe it was just Scientologists so I googled.

There are some scholarly articles about ssri and violence. I couldn't find anything saying it is increased, but it has been studied. There is a black box warning of suicide risk for children and adolescents on ssri

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,5&as_vis=1&q=ssri+and+violence+scholarly+articles

That has nothing to do with this shooter however. He had been planning for months. He said why he killed them.“I have to do it. You rape our women and you’re taking over our country. And you have to go.”

I just read InfoWars. I can see how it is upsetting. I agree, no logic and alarmist.

Edited by confused

Every time there is a shooting somewhere, the people/press/whomever go looking to see if the shooter was on a psych med, almost like the people want them to be, so it gives them more reason to write more about how (any) psych meds can make people go on shooting sprees.

And to show how violent we are :(

And to show how violent we are :(

That is right, unfortunately.

The black box warning is considered political by a lot of people. All anti-depressants initially raise the risk of suicide, because motor depression is relieved before emotional depression. So the person suddenly has the energy to carry out plans.

All people starting on anti-depressants need to be watched for this.

But racism isn't a mental illness. I wish it could be treated, but it is a world view, and institutional.

The black box warning is considered political by a lot of people. All anti-depressants initially raise the risk of suicide, because motor depression is relieved before emotional depression. So the person suddenly has the energy to carry out plans.

All people starting on anti-depressants need to be watched for this.

But racism isn't a mental illness. I wish it could be treated, but it is a world view, and institutional.

Thanks. Not sure where I was going with that. There are less, violent suicides with people who take ssri medication and suicides have gone up in those age groups since the black box warning. (I can find links if anyone wants)

WHO (World Health Organization) says suicides have dropped internationally since SSRIs were introduced. Of course, I don't have a link right now, because that would be too easy. But I've seen this reported more than once, and it was a significant drop.

I don't know how much we really disagree. My mind just goes off on tangents.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/teen-suicide-tries-increased-fda-toughened-antidepressant-warning-201406207226

There was a decrease in usage after the black box warning. 

I am trying to find suicide rates on the WHO website. (It isn't easy for me to navigate the site)

This is a plot comparing 2002 to 2012 internationally that shows what you are saying

http://apps.who.int/healthinfo/statistics/mortality/whodpms/scattergram/scc.php?w=1024&h=768

This is international data that shows number of US suicides increasing

http://apps.who.int/healthinfo/statistics/mortality/whodpms/tables/tblA.php

Edited by confused

Confused, thanks for the links. That was what I was thinking I read somewhere. After the black box warning was put on antidepressants, doctors prescribed them less and suicide attempts actually increased so the warning had the opposite effect than what was intended.

Edited by jt07

At least a few psychologists think extreme racism should be...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071634/

http://www.amazon.com/Racism-Mental-Illness-Cassandra-Sturges/dp/1440197334

Excerpt from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/18/charleston-shooting-mental-health_n_7616460.html

In 1999, Dr. Alvin Poussaint, a black psychiatrist, wrote in The New York Times about why he believed racism should be considered a mental disorder. "Like all others who experience delusions, extreme racists do not think rationally," he wrote. But the American Psychiatric Association decided not to recognize the phenomenon as such -- and ultimately opts to focus on the impact of racism on people's lives -- because racism's presence in the U.S. makes it normative, and because the organization "expressed their concern that if racism was to be classified as a mental disorder, racists would perceive an inability to control their beliefs and, therefore, not be inclined to challenge and change their racist beliefs." Some psychiatrists also attempted to get "pathological bias" into the DSM-V in 2012, but its inclusion was ultimately rejected.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/01/15/arts/bigotry-as-mental-illness-or-just-another-norm.html

It has been a wholly sad few days: the whole world feels cloaked in grief and despair. I would like to be immune, just for a few days...