CrazyBoards.org

It may be due to my lack of consistency with eating and the caloric intake required for Latuda, but has anyone else experienced incredibly variably side effects? Some days I feel like it gives me this physical agitation, which I guess could be described as an energy. Not quite a manic energy, but an uncomfortable one that puts me on edge. It is either that, or it completely knocks me out. So my question is, has anyone else experienced this on Latuda? It seems to give me symptoms from the opposite ends of the spectrum and I can't seem to pinpoint the differences. 

I finally took it at night with my prozac and a xanax, and I was just able to sleep without the immediate fogginess/edginess of the Latuda. Upon waking I was still anxious, took a xanax, but that persistent agitation/energy persists. Idk, is this normal? A side effect? Proof that it's working? One friend suggested this is just what not being depressed feels like but I'm not so sure this is the case.

Thoughts, anyone?

Edit: Also; does anyone know how I can change my signature in this new UI? Need to update meds section.

Edited by Go Ask Alice
new question

Latuda gave me panic attacks and a painful restless energy. My legs hurt and felt like I couldn't sit still at all. Stopped taking the Latuda and those restless feelings went away.

Surreal--

How long were you on Latuda for? Were these simply things that didn't go away? Because they've caused such distress I'm thinking of discontinuing after not even a month. I just hate when people say "I'm not giving them enough time" because I really do want to try to stick it out if it will benefit me in the long run.

I was only on it for less than a month also. I wasn't on a very high dose so I'm not sure if the side effect goes away over time or with a higher dose or not. But I could not handle that restless feeling. I also made sure to eat food with it each time and was still getting the restlessness.

I would talk to pdoc about it and see if they want to try something else or if they can give you something to help with the agitation.

Edited by surreal

I've been taking Latuda twice a day for over 5 months now. First it knocked me out to sleep pretty well for the first 2 months, but after that it wouldn't knock me out anymore. In the beginning the restlessness was bad.

The doc had to increase cogentin for the restlessness. It was horrible. I don't get akathisia anymore but I have to take lorazepam and cogentin to counter the restlessness.

Now it makes me wide awake and sometimes I can only sleep 5 hours a day and I have to take naps later in the day.

I take 40mg and then 20mg. I never felt agitation. I have another bad side effect which is muscle stiffness in the legs. Besides those 2 side effects I prefer Latuda.

I always eat big meals so it's absorbed more. I'd prefer Latuda to knock me out to sleep like it did the first 2 months. After my body got used to it,Latuda doesn't knock me out anymore.

I love Latuda. I do have trouble eating the calories at the right time. If I forget to to take it, if I have eaten recently (like within the last two hours), I'll take it anyway. I know that technically isn't the correct way to take it, but Latuda is working really well, so if it ain't broke....

I had withdrawal symptoms one time when I ran out of Latuda for a few days. Just so you know.

I was only on it for less than a month also. I wasn't on a very high dose so I'm not sure if the side effect goes away over time or with a higher dose or not. But I could not handle that restless feeling. I also made sure to eat food with it each time and was still getting the restlessness.

I would talk to pdoc about it and see if they want to try something else or if they can give you something to help with the agitation.

I also make sure to take it with at least 350 calories. But I can't stand the restlessness. I'll just have to talk to the pdoc about it.

I've been taking Latuda twice a day for over 5 months now. First it knocked me out to sleep pretty well for the first 2 months, but after that it wouldn't knock me out anymore. In the beginning the restlessness was bad.

The doc had to increase cogentin for the restlessness. It was horrible. I don't get akathisia anymore but I have to take lorazepam and cogentin to counter the restlessness.

Now it makes me wide awake and sometimes I can only sleep 5 hours a day and I have to take naps later in the day.

I take 40mg and then 20mg. I never felt agitation. I have another bad side effect which is muscle stiffness in the legs. Besides those 2 side effects I prefer Latuda.

I always eat big meals so it's absorbed more. I'd prefer Latuda to knock me out to sleep like it did the first 2 months. After my body got used to it,Latuda doesn't knock me out anymore.

Carlossong--

What did you try before which side effects you couldn't tolerate? The strange part in my case seems to be that I take it with the 350 calories, and even still, within a month of taking it, I'm getting the variable symptoms with agitation and knocking me out with absolutely no predictability whatsoever. Was that normal for you as well? They started me out on 40 mg.

I love Latuda. I do have trouble eating the calories at the right time. If I forget to to take it, if I have eaten recently (like within the last two hours), I'll take it anyway. I know that technically isn't the correct way to take it, but Latuda is working really well, so if it ain't broke....

I had withdrawal symptoms one time when I ran out of Latuda for a few days. Just so you know.

Did you have any of the symptoms/experiences I was describing? Or did it just seem to feel like a good fit for you?

I was a little agitated at first, but to be honest, it felt more like "Yay! Energy!" I'm not that amped anymore, but I would consider myself stable for the first time in years.

I hope it works for you, too.

to change your signature and add/subtract meds, go to the upper right hand corner of the site, click on the downward arrow and select Settings. there, you can select signature and change it accordingly.

and this is probably not gonna be helpful but like crtclms, i have more energy on latuda now. it was a welcomed change from the 5 hour naps I was taking with seroquel (in addition to sleeping 8-9 hrs a night). no dyskinesia though

About 1/2 hour after taking Latuda I get a restless/dread feeling that I absolutely hate.  It feels awful.  The good thing about it is it doesn't prevent me from sleeping, so when I get that feeling I try to go to sleep and sleep through it.

Because of that feeling, I now wake up in the middle of the night, take Latuda with some food and go back to sleep before the feeling hits.  I'm fine in the morning. so it's a weird system, but it works.

I've been taking Latuda for two years, so I was hoping it would fade but it hasn't.

Otherwise Latuda has been a fantastic med for me.  It has annihilated my suicidal thoughts and scary obsessions.  It's like night and day.

so, the only suggestion I have is to see if the restless feeling comes at a certain time in relation to taking the med, and if you can somehow time it so that it comes while you're sleeping.  

About 1/2 hour after taking Latuda I get a restless/dread feeling that I absolutely hate.  It feels awful.  The good thing about it is it doesn't prevent me from sleeping, so when I get that feeling I try to go to sleep and sleep through it.

Because of that feeling, I now wake up in the middle of the night, take Latuda with some food and go back to sleep before the feeling hits.  I'm fine in the morning. so it's a weird system, but it works.

I've been taking Latuda for two years, so I was hoping it would fade but it hasn't.

Otherwise Latuda has been a fantastic med for me.  It has annihilated my suicidal thoughts and scary obsessions.  It's like night and day.

so, the only suggestion I have is to see if the restless feeling comes at a certain time in relation to taking the med, and if you can somehow time it so that it comes while you're sleeping.  

That's essentially what I've done, I take it with my prozac which makes me drowsy. The weird thing is is latuda can either agitate me, or throw me into a dead sleep. So I guess taking at night is the solution. Although I have been experiencing extreme paranoia and hallucinations, so I'm not sure it's the med for me :/

Also I'm very inconstistent with my eating, so it's not like I can choose when I take it :(

Edited by Go Ask Alice

What you describe as edgey aggitation sounds like AKATHISIA.  Look into it.  When it's not too high it feels like mild but constant restlessness.  When it's bad, people can't sit still without feeling dizzy or anxious or otherwise uncomfortable in a way that is almost painful.  So people feel like they have to move with akathisia.  The antipsychotic meds cause it. 

What you describe as edgey aggitation sounds like AKATHISIA.  Look into it.  When it's not too high it feels like mild but constant restlessness.  When it's bad, people can't sit still without feeling dizzy or anxious or otherwise uncomfortable in a way that is almost painful.  So people feel like they have to move with akathisia.  The antipsychotic meds cause it. 

I just wanted to add there are meds that help akathisia. If you are having good results otherwise, you might want to ask your pdoc about them.

Also, I never took my Latuda with food unless I just happened to be eating.

That means you weren't absorbing very much. Which is not to say it's the right med for you, but you were getting very little of the benefits/problems that can come with it because of that.