CrazyBoards.org

Has anyone taken Xanax XR?

I'm doing some research on Xanax XR after finding out maybe my pdoc wasn't as full of shit as I thought concerning permanent memory loss from Xanax. But since Xanax is the only thing that works for me, the only thing I can do is maybe try to reduce it or try Xanax XR. Has anyone taken Xanax XR? And how did it compare to regular Xanax? I'm not even sure she would agree to the idea considering how much she "hates" Xanax, but it's worth getting information about.

I took Xanax XR for a while, but I was taken off of it in the hospital and put on clonazepam. When I took the Xanax XR, I liked it. I can't really complain about it. However, I don't know how or why Xanax XR would allay your fears about benzos. It's still Xanax. It's just released more slowly over time. It gives a smoother experience.

I know it's still Xanax, but at this point I've been on it so long I can't see myself coming off of it. I thought maybe if I switched to the XR version I could reduce my dose. Like say for example, instead of 1mg 3 times a day of IR, maybe 1mg of XR twice a day. Then again, that's probably such a small reduction that it wouldn't matter.  I always thought all my cognitive problems were due to my relatively high dose of Topamax, but I guess now there could be 2 culprits. Thanks for letting me know how it was though.

I was on it for about 6 months (maybe longer) before I switched pdocs and started clonazepam instead.  The doc was a fan of it because she felt its slow action made it less likely to be abused.  I've never taken regular Xanax, so I can't compare, but the SR version never really "took" for me.  All I really remember is it giving me a perpetual low grade headache and despite its long acting properties, feeling as if it wore off really suddenly and uncomfortably.  Clonazepam is working far better for me.

• 2 months later...

My personal  experience with Xanax XR was that it was ineffective. No side effects, it just didn't work for  me.  I  have never tried regular Xanax.I don't  know  if  you  are taking benzos for GAD or panic attacks, but switching to diazepam has worked well for my GAD, and  I take significantly less than I was with ativan or klon (in terms of equivalency.) It's long acting, though slow to kick in. Obviously, that doesn't mean the Xanax XR wouldn't work  for  you.

• 2 weeks later...

Xanax XR was very effective for me, I was given 2mg to take twice daily and 0.5mg with it so it kicked in faster so really 2.5mg twice daily).

Even without the starter 0.5 this med took away my anxiety and racing thoughts completely, relieved depression too. Problem is I build up a tolerance to this med, very fast. I was up to 4mg or more twice daily ... very lethargic that way. Tranxene and Klonopin do not create a tolerance in me, and do the same thing as xanax.

• 3 years later...

I think Xanax XR is medication that deserves respect and would used and praised more if psychiatrists stopped acting like it doesn't even exist. Never bring it up as a treatment option even though you've been on klonopin, ativan, xanax, valium, and loads of other meds, yet still haven't been prescribed or given an opportunity to see if Xanax XR might work for you. 

I think docs too often brush it off and just use Klonopin in exact instances/situations when Xanax XR would be a much better option, especially if the patient tolerated regular xanax and found effective. 

I wish my dr would give me Xanax XR. I think it has far less abuse potential and should be used more frequently in patients who have a history of addiction/substance use or abuse, instead of just straight up denying them treatment with Xanax, the benzo that works best for them, giving them access to a monthly vallium or klonopin script and then insist on trying alternatives such as Gabapentin and different SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, etc. 

I think it's not that liberal at all to have a patient on 3mg xanax XR once daily, probably in the AM. A dose of XANAX XR 3mg around noon would have me calm, cool, and collected for the rest of my busy day. 

3 hours ago, mmaryland said:

I think Xanax XR is medication that deserves respect and would used and praised more if psychiatrists stopped acting like it doesn't even exist. Never bring it up as a treatment option even though you've been on klonopin, ativan, xanax, valium, and loads of other meds, yet still haven't been prescribed or given an opportunity to see if Xanax XR might work for you. 

I think docs too often brush it off and just use Klonopin in exact instances/situations when Xanax XR would be a much better option, especially if the patient tolerated regular xanax and found effective. 

I wish my dr would give me Xanax XR. I think it has far less abuse potential and should be used more frequently in patients who have a history of addiction/substance use or abuse, instead of just straight up denying them treatment with Xanax, the benzo that works best for them, giving them access to a monthly vallium or klonopin script and then insist on trying alternatives such as Gabapentin and different SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, etc. 

I think it's not that liberal at all to have a patient on 3mg xanax XR once daily, probably in the AM. A dose of XANAX XR 3mg around noon would have me calm, cool, and collected for the rest of my busy day. 

My pdoc won't go above 1 mg Xanax XR with me.