CrazyBoards.org

Taking Lithium for less than 3 weeks - can I just stop?

Lithuim has been giving me horrible GI problems. It's been less than 3 weeks. Can I just stop taking it? I'm in a lot of pain. I'm not going to spiral into mania or bad depression. I've had had hypomania few times. My problem is depression. I just want to know if it's safe to just stop cold turkey

I was on 1200mg of Lithium for over 5 years. One day it was making me too thirsty every 15 mins. I told my pdoc and he told me to stop taking it.

I didn't get any withdrawal side effects from stopping lithium. I am glad I don't have to take it anymore because it made me feel bloated with water.

While it is unlikely you will have a bad response, it is a good idea to leave a message with your pdoc. Tell him or her that the side effects are unbearable and list them.

You aren't on very much. Theoretically, stopping lithium cold turkey can cause rebound mania, but you are saying that mania isn't a problem for you, and that you are not treating mania, so there's that.

I don't think you will hurt yourself, but again, leave a message for your pdoc.

Like crtclms said, ask your doctor.

I'll tell my experiences.

Lithium on the prescribing information (at least on the Brazilian) says you can quit it without withdrawal symptoms, the only problems are the first place reasons why you are taking lithium carbonate, the symptoms rebound.

I've always quit lithium cold turkey but I've always had another mood medicine backing me up, never had a problem.