Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

I just started Invega er 3mg tablets last night. I'm very concerned about possible weight gain. I typically eat pretty healthy. If I continue to eat healthy or somewhat healthy things and refrain from over eating, will I still gain weight from this med? I'm going to be on 3mg for a week, and then take 6mg the next week. After that they want me to start getting invega injections, because I'm not very med compliant. Is the possibility of weight gain higher with the injections?

 

Also another question is: how long were you on this med before you started to notice a difference?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was on Invega Sustenna, the long acting injection of Invega. I had been dropping weight badly before I went on it, I gained a couple of pounds because my appetite wasn't as suppressed and then plateau'd.

The nurse that did the injections says it can go both ways, but its pretty neutral for most people. Pill and injection.

I stopped the injections (after two loading doses and one dose) due to really bad side effects that stared in the 2nd month, my pdoc thought it best to take me off. It was great until that.  But in the 2 months of injections, I gained 4lbs, mostly because I had an appetite again. And I needed to gain weight.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

I am on 3mgs and am gaining wt. I have serotonin syndrome taking 60 mgs of Cymbalta and am going down to 30 tomorrow. But I really want to stay on Cymbalta for pain control, and hopefully go down to 1.5 mgs Invega. This dose has not shown to be generally effective, but I  was only on 0.5 mgs resperidone and am only using it for bipolar depression. I am talking about the pills not the shots. Don't know if the dose in tabs is same as injection.   Hope you can decrease and still have good response.

hi2lois

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took Invega for around 5 years and developed serious Tardive Dyskinesia. I was not on a huge dose. They lie to you about it, I think. Anyway, I stopped the drug 20 months ago and it's only gotten worse. I jerk, have wrinkles on my face that wouldn't otherwise be there, because of the uncontrollable facial movements on the right side of my face. I am in my 30s. I don't think I could be compensated for the life it has taken away from me. My whole body jerks from it. I can't sleep often. I do not leave my house unless I have to. It's embarrassing. If I could go out and give a message to the people who are like I was, I would say you don't have to take APs 24/7. DO NOT do it unless you are feeling really f*ed up. These are NOT maintenance drugs. You have to know yourself, and your boundaries, though. They told me I just had to take it, even when I felt ok. Now I suffer for it. Once the brain damage has been done to your striatum, there's no going back. That's what I'm dealing with, and I hope nobody else ever has to.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FiveDollarShake, this is a pro-med site. A lot of people here have been helped by Invega. Saying categorically that it's a bad med, or that AP's shouldn't be taken as maintenance medications is both foolish and destructive, and we don't allow it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FiveDollarShake, don't ever come on this site and encourage people to go off meds. Period. People have a hard enough time staying on meds without your fear mongering. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Invega. But know that your experience is just that - your experience - and many people have positive experiences on these meds (myself included).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I respect FiveDollarShake for telling what happened to them.  People need to stop sugar-coating the truth about these meds.  They don't always work right for eveyone.  Being at the extreme of being "pro-med" doesn't help people whose lives have been hurt by the meds.  yeah antipsychotics are amazing for how they treat psychosis and delusions and hallucinations and stuff like that, but reality is reality.  There are good things that can happen and bad things that can happen.  Pretending the bad things never happen is just as foolish as acting like the good things never happen.    I'm pro-med but anti-foolishness.  I believe in med compliance but my life has been adversely affected by meds also.  That's the reality of how they turned out for me.  Nobody else can live our lives for us, and people telling us to shut up doesn't reduce our side effects nor our symptoms. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nystagmus, just knock it off or post some peer-reviewed research backing up your claims of how the big bad antipsychotics are hurtint people. Really, please post some studies. Because otherwise you are an N=1 anecdotal case.

No one claims there can't be adverse effects. That is true of all meds. But claiming that you have somehow been permanently damaged is just way out there. Again, if you want to argue that people are damaged by these drugs then post some studies. Or else shut up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On November 29, 2015 at 11:27:34 PM, FiveDollarShake said:

I took Invega for around 5 years and developed serious Tardive Dyskinesia. I was not on a huge dose. They lie to you about it, I think. Anyway, I stopped the drug 20 months ago and it's only gotten worse. I jerk, have wrinkles on my face that wouldn't otherwise be there, because of the uncontrollable facial movements on the right side of my face. I am in my 30s. I don't think I could be compensated for the life it has taken away from me. My whole body jerks from it. I can't sleep often. I do not leave my house unless I have to. It's embarrassing. If I could go out and give a message to the people who are like I was, I would say you don't have to take APs 24/7. DO NOT do it unless you are feeling really f*ed up. These are NOT maintenance drugs. You have to know yourself, and your boundaries, though. They told me I just had to take it, even when I felt ok. Now I suffer for it. Once the brain damage has been done to your striatum, there's no going back. That's what I'm dealing with, and I hope nobody else ever has to.

The Invega website admits that TD is a rare, but potentially permanent side effect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Flash said:

The Invega website admits that TD is a rare, but potentially permanent side effect.

Do we know what treatments FiveDollarShake has tried? Do we know what his med history is? The problem is not with his coming here and telling his experience with Invega. The problem is with his encouraging others not to take their meds and basically generalizing his situation to make it look like it is common.

TD is real. No doubt about that, but it is rare. It is an adverse effect of antipsychotics and even antidepressants, but all meds have potential adverse effects. That doesn't mean that someone should go off maintenance meds and it certainly doesn't mean that TD is going to happen to someone just because they take this med.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jt07 said:

Do we know what treatments FiveDollarShake has tried? Do we know what his med history is? The problem is not with his coming here and telling his experience with Invega. The problem is with his encouraging others not to take their meds and basically generalizing his situation to make it look like it is common.

TD is real. No doubt about that, but it is rare. It is an adverse effect of antipsychotics and even antidepressants, but all meds have potential adverse effects. That doesn't mean that someone should go off maintenance meds and it certainly doesn't mean that TD is going to happen to someone just because they take this med.

I wrote that because FiveDollarShake Said that they "lie to you about it." That is clearly not the case. It was not buried in fine print, either. As you said, all medications have potential adverse side effects. And some of those can be severe, But they are generally quite rare if they are.

Edited by Flash
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Flash said:

I wrote that because FiveDollarShake Said that they "lie to you about it." That is clearly not the case. It was not buried in fine print, either. As you said, all medications have potential adverse side effects. And some of those can be severe, But they are generally quite rare if they are.

Sorry about that, Flash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 12/2/2015 at 1:00 AM, jt07 said:

Nystagmus, just knock it off or post some peer-reviewed research backing up your claims of how the big bad antipsychotics are hurtint people. Really, please post some studies. Because otherwise you are an N=1 anecdotal case.

No one claims there can't be adverse effects. That is true of all meds. But claiming that you have somehow been permanently damaged is just way out there. Again, if you want to argue that people are damaged by these drugs then post some studies. Or else shut up.

Not to be combative, but what you posted is entirely dismissive of my experience with this drug, and my life for the last couple of years, as I continue to jerk and convulse worse over time. I understand that's not a remotely popular narrative here about any med, but I assure you I am being whole-heartedly honest about the damage I have unfortunately incurred. If it's so "way out there," why am I living it in my 30s, with my most recent psychiatrist---brilliant lady who used to specialize in TD studies (fortunate for me)---not getting my hopes up about it going away? I'm looking at botox now, out of desperation. Not that it would stop the rocking and limb jerking....but I guess that is maybe me being dramatic? I'm not sure I understand what you were going for. Meds can make a world of difference. To pretend that they don't have both positive and negative effects is, frankly, dishonest, and doesn't engender trust. I am not telling anyone to stop meds. I'm warning them of something that their Dr. will probably never mention, just like mine didn't. And I really hope it doesn't happen to any of you here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Invega usually works for me, or at least, puts my hallucinations at a manageable level to where I know they're not real when I occasionally have them. And as to answer the OP, I don't think I've gained much weight, and saw results within about three or four weeks. I started at 6mg, and am now on 9mg. I think I've been on it for about three to four months. 

I've never had TD, but I have experienced side effects in general from meds. I understand your story, Five Dollar.

And I also understand that meds are usually crucial in treating mental illness. Especially Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective, Bipolar, that antipsychotics treat. Unfortunately, there is always a risk of side effects. My doctor and I always discuss weighing the pros and cons. And lucky me, we have decided that antipsychotics are essential to my treatment. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had been in a position where I couldn't gain weight. I kept losing. I was switched to Invega Sustenna, from Piportil depot (a typical AP, not used in the US, patent issues or something) and gained 3lbs during the loading doses, then gained to below my "normal" and stayed that way. I went off it due to cognitive problems, something I haven't seen many people mention,I was on the highest dose, and was switched off depot's to oral meds. It didn't do much for psychosis in pill form, but I didn't gain any weight, I stayed "neutral". I eventually went back on oral Haldol after trying Latuda and failing. AAP's done work that great for me, only Seroquel does. 

So, as for weight gain, there may be a bit, but it can go both ways. Some people lose weight, some gain it. The nurse that did the injections said it was fairly neutral, and I was scary underweight, and desperately needed to gain. The Piportil had me losing weight like hell. I gained to a healthy, for me, weight, even though a bit on the low side. It took several months to gain, and it stopped. This may not happen to you, but I needed that weight on.

I know i'm saying Sustenna, but I would imagine the depot has similar side effects as the pill, maybe more, maybe less. But it's fairly weight-neutral. It's basically an upgraded version of Risperdal, with less side effects.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Invega was a wonder drug for me, no weight gain, and I felt more normal than I had in years. Then the TD, which was unfortunate, to say the least. It's been two years since I've been off, and my doctor tells me it may get worse (being Schizoaffective Bipolar type, I kind of need meds) as I continue to expose my brain to APs---low dose of Seroquel when I feel it necessary. "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" is a sentence I've heard far too many times for my liking, regarding my situation. I'm told I have an unusually high level of insight into my disorder, so that's good, I guess. We all get dealt a hand, I suppose all we can ask is that we are given the skills to deal with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 years later...

I took invega for about 5 years and I was 200 and went 240 pounds 30% fat 35% muscle I guess you might gain muscle from being more in a calorie surplus or something lots of man boobs high blood pressure 140 and bad cholesterol at 4.9 not including good cholesterol the way I see it if then happens to you maybe training like a pro athlete go on a 6 months weight cut would be a good idea preferably trying to be a pro natural body builder on a 1400 calorie diet slowly cutting natural and processed sugar down to nothing and cutting the starch and wheat out  eating mostly baked chicken and salads maybe some oatmeal, some rice but very low carbohydrates then you want to adapt your metabolism to run off less food you can eat probably like 90 grams of protein a day I would recommend psylium fiber husk and then cutting out all fats with omega 6 and omega 3 not frying food baking I use chicken broth instead of oil to fry or just get a good pan that doesn't need oil to fry or barbecue or bake also fasting id good for like 18 or 16 hours a day get more human growth hormone for skin tighten anti ageing tissue repairs and fat loss fasting makes you less sensitive to insulin and soaks more protein with less insulin resistant makes less fat too and if your an addict chasing dopamine then fasting will give less dopamine from eating food so you can dry out better then authropagy recycles stuff in your body and brain then you want to do walking low intensity work out so you don't spike your cortisol from running biking swimming and if you did this for 6 months you could lose 20 pounds down to 20% fat and if you did a year you probably get down into the 10% body fat range with out man boobs this doesn't apply to females just men they have different hormones setups

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...