CrazyBoards.org

I told the pdoc that I have been seeing images of dead and rotting people in my mind and he said these are known as obsessional images and can occur with psychotic disorders but I don't know why it's called that as I certainly don't obsess over them. Does anyone else with schizophrenia/schizoaffective get this kind of thing as well?

I had never heard of obsessional images before. When I googled it all I could find was it's related to "Intrusive Thoughts".  I don't think I have obsessional images though, but I definitely get intrusive thoughts and delusions about intrusive thoughts.

Someone I used to talk to on a SZ forum had something like what you describe. She wasn't on meds though.

I think the idea is the brain thinks or creates an image of something. The person experiencing it doesn't like it (who would?). So they try to renounce it, but it continues to come back. Its not so much an obsession but sort of an inner battle over how to stop it, or why does it keep happening, or general WTFing. That's at least how my intrusive thoughts are. It's not an obsession but I guess to a therapist maybe it looks like an obsession. Its more like a nuissance for me (intrusive thoughts). Not sure if that correlates to you at all.

I told the pdoc that I have been seeing images of dead and rotting people in my mind and he said these are known as obsessional images and can occur with psychotic disorders but I don't know why it's called that as I certainly don't obsess over them. Does anyone else with schizophrenia/schizoaffective get this kind of thing as well?

^In bold ... I would ask your pdoc what she meant / her definition of 'obsessional images.'

I had never heard of obsessional images before. When I googled it all I could find was it's related to "Intrusive Thoughts".  I don't think I have obsessional images though, but I definitely get intrusive thoughts and delusions about intrusive thoughts.

Someone I used to talk to on a SZ forum had something like what you describe. She wasn't on meds though.

I think the idea is the brain thinks or creates an image of something. The person experiencing it doesn't like it (who would?). So they try to renounce it, but it continues to come back. Its not so much an obsession but sort of an inner battle over how to stop it, or why does it keep happening, or general WTFing. That's at least how my intrusive thoughts are. It's not an obsession but I guess to a therapist maybe it looks like an obsession. Its more like a nuissance for me (intrusive thoughts). Not sure if that correlates to you at all.

I was confused about obsessional images and intrusive thoughts and what the difference is or if it's kind of the same thing. 

^In bold ... I would ask your pdoc what she meant / her definition of 'obsessional images.'

I should have asked him but at the time I was in a bit of an apathetic mood and didn't really feel like saying much.