CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
IcePrincess88

Wellbutrin vs. Effexor vs. Cymbalta

I'm currently on 75mgs of Wellbutrin twice a day. I just started it last Thursday so maybe I haven't been taking it long enough to feel it's effect, or maybe it's not at a high enough dosage, idk. But I do know that I still don't feel great. I did the first day, but that must have been the placebo effect. So how are the other medications similar to Wellbutrin? How is Effexor and Cymbalta? Should I try to switch medication or stick with Wellbutrin and up the dose?

I use to take Effexor xr and Im currently on wellbutrin xr

It took at least a month for my wellbutrin to kick in.I felt great for a short while. it works well on my depression but im currently in anxiety hell. I already have GAD, and it is seriously kicking it in over drive. Also, Effexor is an ssri  where as wellbutrin works on dopamine. Entirely different and you usually need one or the other. Effexor was great for my depression and anxiety but it made me gain weight, I was very lethargic all the time, and it taxed my GI. Effexor was also like trying to withdrawal from crack. Not that Ive ever done that, but I imagine that's what it'd feel like. Apparently all SSRIs are hard to come off of.

Ive never tried Cymbalta but Ill tell you, Im not having luck with either drug. However, If I didn't care about weight gain/sexual side effects, I would go back on Effexor.

You should stick with Wellbutrin. A few days is no where near long enough to be able to tell how this med is going to affect you and whether it will work. You need to be giving it up to six weeks. Changing antidepressants so often can cause treatment resistance. 

I agree with jt.  Also, 75mg is not usually considered the therapeutic dose---I felt no effect from it at 150mg, and it wasn't until I got up to 300mg that it really kicked in.  Give it  time, and talk to your doctor about when you can move up to 150 mg.

olga

I only take 75mg a day and I'm ready to fly through the roof. I'm envious of those who it works for. If my anxiety wasn't so bad, I would say wellbutrin xr is a great drug. 

But I agree. You need to give it more time. Switching/upping the drug too quickly isn't going to work. If anything, it's just gonna screw you up more. 

I read about Wellbutrin being sooo great for depression, that's why I couldn't wait to try it. I see my pdoc again next Monday, and I will most certainly be asking for it to be upped. I do notice slight agitation issues(which I've always had), but if it brings me out of this depression I can deal with that.

I read about Wellbutrin being sooo great for depression, that's why I couldn't wait to try it. I see my pdoc again next Monday, and I will most certainly be asking for it to be upped. I do notice slight agitation issues(which I've always had), but if it brings me out of this depression I can deal with that.

agitation and anger are big side effects so just monitor that. 

I got taken off of welbutrin after a couple of days when i was in hospital as it worsened my psychotic symptoms. It was pretty bad.

Effexor XR, when I was put on Effexor was right around the time doctors were thinking of bipolar. It made manic as anything for about 3 or 4 weeks then I crashed something terrible. They added a mood stabilizer and for a few months it was kind of okay but ultimately,  it just wasn't a good fit for me. Pdoc has given up trying me on anti depressants now.

Cymbalta, I haven't tried.

take both - they are actually paired together really often and can work synergistically for a lot of people.  Wellbutrin counteracts a lot of the negative side effects of Effexor (and probably Cymbalta, as it does with other SSRI's) and compliments Effexor, . . . . changes the way it works.  And as other people have mentioned, your dosage is probably too low anyway.  Even combined with other medications, Wellbutrin is usually prescribed at 300 - 350mg, at least I believe that's the usual target dosage.   

Wellbutrin and Effexor (and maybe Cymbalta IDK) are prescribed together as a cocktail extremely often for good reason, they work really well together.