CrazyBoards.org

Well there goes my macbook air battery - pretty sure it's partly the cat's fault

In a span of a week or so my macbook air went from being able to retain 1 - 3 hours (depending on what I was doing and my screen brightness - that whole "it last 12 hours" thing is BS, I've seen the battery at 10 hours 43 minutes max [I took a screenshot] and only for a short while) to not working at all - it turns off if it's not plugged in. I mean I've had this mac for 3.5 years and I'm not the best at taking care of it (shutting it down, etc). But it's rapid demise is just odd. It never even reached 500 charge cycles! It was supposed to get to 1000!

Pretty sure it happened when my cat knocked it off like a week ago. Next thing I know it retained a charge for 25 minutes and then after it just turned off after being unplugged. Now even my mac says there's no battery available. UGH UGH UGH. 

I made an appointment with the apple people tomorrow. Pretty sure they'll try to sell me a new charger since this one is nearly a goner (also the cat). 

That suck, Iaawal. ive been using my iPad for several hours each day for over two years now, and it still seems to get about 1 hour for every 10% on the battery bar (so ten hours total). It sounds like something is wrong, as I can't imagine a battery would stop charging so quickly. I hope they can sort it out quickly and without much expense.

It could be both things you already know about. 1. The mac got damaged when it was knocked on the floor or 2. The battery died.

The only thing I can add is that some batteries die fast (depending on the type). I'm not familiar with the Macbook Air so I don't know anything about the type of battery.

My roommate has a Macbook. One day the battery worked, the next day it stopped, and she had to use it plugged in to an outlet. Then the power cord died. I found her the correct battery and power cord on eBay and she bought them. I thought the entire laptop was fried. The power cord came first, and immediately turned green after plugging it in. A couple weeks later, the battery came, and works now, and holds a charge fine. It was about $80 US including shipping and import fees (to Canada) for the two combined. 

I took out the battery and found an identical one. I checked the spec's very carefully. Fortunately, I got both right.

Sometimes it just happens. I had a Mac Mini work fine one day, the next, the DVD-rom didn't work, for example. It can happen with any computer,  Mac or PC.

Batteries need to be replaced, so do power cords. Her laptop is a 2006 MacBook, and it survived until a couple of months ago on the initial battery and charger. I hate the Apple magnetic power cords (how they attach). They come off too easily. 

Hopefully the Apple tech's can figure out what exactly the problem is. Once you know the exact problem, it's easy to go from there. I often buy batteries and stuff like that on eBay or different sites because it's much cheaper than buying the brand name one.

I don't know if you can do it on Macbooks since I've never touched one, but I think the best way of keeping good life in your battery is not using it if you're using it at home. Take it out if you're using it at a desk, only use it if you're actually going places. Personally though I'd go with a desktop anyday.