CrazyBoards.org

I have had really bad anhedonia my whole life, to accompany my depression and severe anxiety.

I got put on Seroquel when my old psychiatrist thought I was having a mixed state, and was bipolar. Turns out I'm not.  The Seroquel has helped me stay much calmer though.

My question is, what are the chances it's making my anhedonia worse? I am on 200-250 mg.

I suffer from really bad anhedonia also, and it is one of the main symptoms of my depression. I have not been on Seroquel, but I never really got anhedonia from AAPs. In fact, Abilify helps my anhedonia. It is the only med that has helped my anhedonia and apathy (antidepressants either don't work or make it worse).

I've been on Risperdal and Invega and they too did not make my anhedonia worse. I wasn't on Zyprexa long enough to tell (too sedating for me).

I believe your dose of Seroquel is more of a dose for depression or mood stabilization so I doubt that it is adding to your anhedonia. But, of course, I'm not a doctor.

I got really bad suicidal anhedonia from Geodon.  About a month after I quit Geodon, the anhedonia went away. 

When I'm off AP meds, I don't have any anhedonia at all.  All of the antipsychotics give me a little bit of anhedonia though.  Fluphenazine probably gave me the least anhedonia, bu t I had other complications from it.  Now I'm on haldol, and i can tell it gives me some anhedonia, but not too bad.  I just really don't like the sexual anhedonia and problems it gives me.  Luckily my doc is lowering the dose next month. 

I hope you get some relief from your anhedonia.  I have heard people say that Clozaril is the most effective for treating that. 

I had never been on Seroquel above 50 mg for eight years, but when I was involuntary hospital the doctors decided to jack up my seroquel way up.  I really wish this hadn't happened.  I have several other factors effecting my anhedonia, but all that dopamine blockade from Seroquel kind of blunts my focus and drive and pleasure.  So I would say it can have that effect.  I wouldn't really start taking high doses, unless your doctor can make a strong case for it.  200-250 mg is where I take it now, if I go up on that I feel worse - sometimes just angrier, definitely more sedated, definitely less motivated and lose drive to do things pleasurable.  I would try it where its at if it can keep you calm, but if you feel too anhedonic I would mention it to your doctor.  Abilify is the one that seems to get all the good news of helping people with depression and not being flat like most other AAP do.  

I have had really bad anhedonia my whole life, to accompany my depression and severe anxiety.

I got put on Seroquel when my old psychiatrist thought I was having a mixed state, and was bipolar. Turns out I'm not.  The Seroquel has helped me stay much calmer though.

My question is, what are the chances it's making my anhedonia worse? I am on 200-250 mg.

Anhedonia is lack of enjoyment/pleasure, right?

Seroquel helps me a lot too. I take 600 mg currently. For me, I know it's the SZA that is causing the lack of enjoyment in things. I experienced this before meds so I know it's the illness. As to whether the meds help or don't help the lack of pleasure, well I have no clue about that. I would think that some help the anhedonia and some would be more neutral towards it.

Anyway, I hope you find a solution for this. It's not easy to live like that.

I had never been on Seroquel above 50 mg for eight years, but when I was involuntary hospital the doctors decided to jack up my seroquel way up.  I really wish this hadn't happened.  I have several other factors effecting my anhedonia, but all that dopamine blockade from Seroquel kind of blunts my focus and drive and pleasure.  So I would say it can have that effect.  I wouldn't really start taking high doses, unless your doctor can make a strong case for it.  200-250 mg is where I take it now, if I go up on that I feel worse - sometimes just angrier, definitely more sedated, definitely less motivated and lose drive to do things pleasurable.  I would try it where its at if it can keep you calm, but if you feel too anhedonic I would mention it to your doctor.  Abilify is the one that seems to get all the good news of helping people with depression and not being flat like most other AAP do.  

Yah I am on the exact same dose. 200-250. I feel like I need to go up but he says he hates Seroquel, and I was wondering if it was because of Anhedonia.

I read a publication by Dr. Nancy Andreasen, the schizophrenia famous researcher, and in her early publication, it said clearly that when people are overmedicated, they get anhedonia; it's a known side effect of medication.  I'm not saying some people don't already have it without medication, but the medicines can cause it or worsen it.  It's important to know this because a lot of doctors ignore side effects such as anhedonia due to poor training.  In other words, if you don't tell them about the problem, they won't ask about it either.  You have to defend yourself against being overmedicated.  And that's not entirely easy, but not impossible either. 

I had a terrible case of the bone-crushing, weeping, sad type of depression before I went on Abilify. Then the sads turned into anhedonia. I only got rid of that with doxepin. My mood is quite good now, but my energy levels suck.

I read a publication by Dr. Nancy Andreasen, the schizophrenia famous researcher, and in her early publication, it said clearly that when people are overmedicated, they get anhedonia; it's a known side effect of medication.

I'm afraid we're going to need a better citation than "it said clearly in her early publication."  What you are claiming is that "overmedication" = anhedonia, which is rubbish analysis.  First, what does "overmedication" mean, anyway, when a therapeutic and effective dose can vary by individual by circumstance by time of day, etc., and how is it possible to infer that all or even most cases of it result in anhedonia, when anhedonia is known to be comorbid with many MI conditions in the first place? It sounds very much as though the information you refer to is taken out of context or hyperbolized to make a (questionable) point.

TO mywarmbluefleece

Anhedonia may take a while for medication to treat. It isn't an easy symptom to treat at all. Odds are it won't make the anhedonia worse. Statistics show that most AAP's are effective on negative symptoms (anhedonia is a negative symptom, and yes, I've experienced it, but not related to medication), clozapine being the best (but also the biggest pain in the ass)

Seroquel is my favourite AAP. It works well with antidepressants (any kind) and I get few side effects. 

Hang in there. It may take a bit of time on the Med Go Round to get a good cocktail of medications that work for you. Seroquel is a great med, easily tolerated (and I find the XR has little to no effect on weight) and effective. Nobody can tell you if and when the anhedonia will go away. 

My pdoc loves Seroquel (I take 300mg XR in the morning and 300mg XR at night) and it's the med I've come off of, tried other meds, no success, go back on Seroquel, improve. I've always gone back to Seroquel.

That's just my opinion. Give it time to work. Consider other meds you're on (if any). 

I read a publication by Dr. Nancy Andreasen, the schizophrenia famous researcher, and in her early publication, it said clearly that when people are overmedicated, they get anhedonia; it's a known side effect of medication.

I'm afraid we're going to need a better citation than "it said clearly in her early publication."  What you are claiming is that "overmedication" = anhedonia, which is rubbish analysis.  First, what does "overmedication" mean, anyway, when a therapeutic and effective dose can vary by individual by circumstance by time of day, etc., and how is it possible to infer that all or even most cases of it result in anhedonia, when anhedonia is known to be comorbid with many MI conditions in the first place? It sounds very much as though the information you refer to is taken out of context or hyperbolized to make a (questionable) point.

I read a publication by Dr. Nancy Andreasen, the schizophrenia famous researcher, and in her early publication, it said clearly that when people are overmedicated, they get anhedonia; it's a known side effect of medication.  I'm not saying some people don't already have it without medication, but the medicines can cause it or worsen it.  It's important to know this because a lot of doctors ignore side effects such as anhedonia due to poor training.  In other words, if you don't tell them about the problem, they won't ask about it either.  You have to defend yourself against being overmedicated.  And that's not entirely easy, but not impossible either. 

I'm with Cerberus. Medications rarely cause anhedonia, anhedonia is generally a symptom of the MI. 37% of those with depression have anhedonia before treatment. Anhedonia is a one of two symtoms for a MDD diagnosis. Source: Reconsidering anhedonia (mostly on MDD, but still a good article)

If you Google antipsychotics or antidepressants with anhedonia, you get a list of people on forum bitching about it, but no real sources Anhedonia in schizophrenia is common, unmedicated. It's a negative symptom. Source: Effort, Anhedonia, and Function in Schizophrenia: Reduced Effort Allocation Predicts Amotivation and Functional Impairment

But if you look at actual articles based on scientific research, like this

Anhedonia and antipsychotics shows that anhedonia has gone down since AAP's were introduced. 

Among these, the most prominent are olanzapinerisperidonesertindolziprasidone, and amisulpride. All of these newly developed, atypical antipsychotics show a high degree of efficacy in the treatment of positive symptoms of schizophrenia in combination with a lack of or a reduced degree of extrapyramidal side effects (EPS). In addition, several atypical antipsychotics seem to have an additional impact on negative symptoms such as alogiaanhedonia

To explore the possibility that antipsychotic medications may have influenced the results, we conducted correlations between medication dose in chlorpromazine equivalents and cue- or receipt-related brain activation. First, we examined the regions that had shown correlations between cue- or receipt-related activity and anhedonia ratings, none of which showed significant correlations between antipsychotic medications and the relevant contrast (all p values >0.16). Similarly, antipsychotic dosage failed to correlate significantly with physical or social anhedonia scores (all p values >0.4).

If you look around actual statistics, antipsychotics very rarely cause anhedonia. And anhedonia is a reward-related deficit if you look that up. 

I cannot find a peer reviewed article saying that medication is the cause of anhedonia. 

And 200-250mg of Seroquel is not "overmedication".

I went to the doctor today. I was concerned he would not up my  Seroquel even though it needed to be because of anhedonia and vague concerns about Seroquel that he never voices. Fortunately, he upped it. I just wanted something to say in case he blamed Seroquel for my anhedonia, because it's definitely working.  So he brought it up to 300-350 and we are going to try Effexor. Thanks for your help.

I went to the doctor today. I was concerned he would not up my  Seroquel even though it needed to be because of anhedonia and vague concerns about Seroquel that he never voices. Fortunately, he upped it. I just wanted something to say in case he blamed Seroquel for my anhedonia, because it's definitely working.  So he brought it up to 300-350 and we are going to try Effexor. Thanks for your help.

That's good news. I hope it works out for you.

guys, i didnt have the title of the publication because when i get psychosis i throw a lot of my personal belongings away.  I don't remember what it was called, but it was a medical journal.  a staff member gave it to me.  i used to be involved with a schizophrenia research study from the university of iowa hospitals and clinics and NIMH.  i was a human research subject for schizophrenia.  not that it matters, but that's where i got the publication.  i am not making it up. 

anyways, i didnt read all the responses yet, but all i can say is that i know what i experienced, i know what i read, and both were reality, not delusion. :D 

you can argue if you want, but i was just trying to lend a helpful perspective.  I wasn't referring to anhedonia as part of the DSM-IV amd DSM-V criteria for depression. 

Also I never said that people can't have anhedonia before meds.  But I am living proof that meds can cause anhedonia, because that's what happened to me from Geodon.  Also my psychiatrist agreed with me and said it's possible and helped me switch to a different medicine.  And like i said, every time i went off antispychotic meds, the anhedonia went away, even though the psychosis came back eventually some of those times. 

Please dont try to rebuttal me on things i didnt say.  If you have insights on which meds reduce anhedonia, i think that would be more productive than trying to argue against what i know happened to me and what i read clearly in an article.  I wasn't able to give the title but at least i cited the source.  I think it was published in 1986 (I vaguely remember the copyright date) or so.  So you probably wont find it on the world wide web (circa 1993 to present). 

Anyways, kudos to anybody that has found relief from anhedonia, because it made me feel suicidal after several weeks of it.  But I got off of the Geodon, and then the anhedonia went away and then i stopped feeling suicidal. 

I didn't like Geodon; I was never able to overcome the sedation, which made me apathetic-and also exhausted, constantly. Not the same as anhedonia, but similar sensation, and super-shitty when combined with untreated depression, as the Geodon wasn't working for me.

I liked Seroquel a lot, but got tired of the weight gain.

Abilify and Latuda both made me hypomanic.