CrazyBoards.org

Choosing a temporary sleep med ...

I'm sorry if this isn't in the right forum.

If you had to choose a temporary sleep med, like for maybe a week, would you choose zyprexa, seroquel, etc?  I've tried ambien and all that but wanted to know which meds (APs, mood stabilizers, etc) work the best (in your opinion) for you.  I really have been wanting to get more than 2-3 hours of sleep at one time, and am thinking of asking for a few pills of something from my pdoc when I see him tomorrow. 

I'm heading towards seroquel (it didn't work much last time but I'll try it again) but don't know what else might help.

Any advice so I can bring this up with pdoc tomorrow?

Edited by melissaw72

I take Remeron and Seroquel, that generally works.

I hear 50mg Sero does the job for some.

When I can't sleep even though I'm taking all these meds, I take Klonopin or Imovane or Temazepam.

Hope you and your Pdoc sort it out.

I take Remeron and Seroquel, that generally works.

I hear 50mg Sero does the job for some.

When I can't sleep even though I'm taking all these meds, I take Klonopin or Imovane or Temazepam.

Hope you and your Pdoc sort it out.

Thank you for the suggestions.  I see pdoc tomorrow and I'm going to ask him about it.  I emailed him too, so I would have a reminder if other stuff comes up.

I use Restoril. It's a benzo specifically for sleep. I've tried Ambien but it made me do things in my sleep--like taking all the clothes off the hangers in my closet and making coffee in the middle of the night.

I can't take Ambien either ... I sleep eat, send emails in my sleep (I have to check when I am more alert to see if I need to do any damage control), sleep walk ... so I know what you mean.  It's kind of scary.  I always worried about locking myself out in the middle of the night if I slept walked.

I use zopiclone occasionally and it helps. The other hypnotic I like is temazepam. It's great for sleep 

I've not tried these 2 meds.  I'm going to see what pdoc says about things.  I am hoping he is on board with me for this ... he usually welcomes suggestions, so I'm hoping for the best.

I am very underwhelmed with seroquel xr. I take it at 7, am getting drowsy by 9:30, take trazodone at 10.... And then toss and turn for several hours. My sleep is not much better with it. Due to insurance reasons I'm going to have to ask for the ir version at my next appt, I'm hoping that'll be better.

Good luck.

I am very underwhelmed with seroquel xr. I take it at 7, am getting drowsy by 9:30, take trazodone at 10.... And then toss and turn for several hours. My sleep is not much better with it. Due to insurance reasons I'm going to have to ask for the ir version at my next appt, I'm hoping that'll be better.

Good luck.

I'm definitely looking for IR in whatever med (if) he suggests because the XR or SR of anything would only come out a little at a time, and I don't want it in my system all day at a constant rate.  I just want the immediate effect so it will wear off (for the most part) by the time I wake up.

Edited by melissaw72

Temazepam, ambien, ambien CR, Lunesta, seroquel, and trazodone all helped me get 3-5 hours of sleep. Doxepin gets me anywhere between 3 and 8 hours of sleep.  sometimes I won't take anything to start. I'll get 3-5 hours that way. And then when I wake up, I take doxepin and get another 3-5 hours. For sleeping straight through, 15mg  remeron + 12.5mg ambien CR worked really well. Seroquel + ambien CR also worked well, but the hangover was awful.

Edited by Flash

Seroquel has always done the trick for me. The IR version is alot better for sleep than the XR version that I'm currently on. Because the Seroquel XR doesn't pack quite as good of a punch as regular Seroquel, I also take Elavil at night to sleep. Both of them work great for me. I usually get between 10 to 12 hours of sleep.

My pdoc gave me trazodone, but I promised him I wouldn't start it until the weekend because I have a procedure under general anesthesia tomorrow, and he doesn't want me any extra sedated for a couple days.  So I am not sure how it will work.

Anyone have success with this med (or no success)?

I started at 50mg, it did nothing, then went up to 100mg. It would help me fall asleep, but only for 2-3 hours. I didn't pursue a higher mg, so maybe I didn't give it a fair shot. One of the things I'll be asking my pdoc in a couple of weeks.

I hope it works for you.

I've taken trazodone on and off for years and years. I took 200 mg mostly. It works but then I get used to it and have to give it a break. 

Currently taking seroquel and klonopin and lunesta for sleep. Sometimes vistaril too. Sleeping correctly is so damn hard. 

I hope the trazodone works for you. 

I started at 50mg, it did nothing, then went up to 100mg. It would help me fall asleep, but only for 2-3 hours. I didn't pursue a higher mg, so maybe I didn't give it a fair shot. One of the things I'll be asking my pdoc in a couple of weeks.

I hope it works for you.

Thanks, Rabbit.  Idk what dose he prescribed yet ... I pick it up tomorrow.

I've taken trazodone on and off for years and years. I took 200 mg mostly. It works but then I get used to it and have to give it a break. 

Currently taking seroquel and klonopin and lunesta for sleep. Sometimes vistaril too. Sleeping correctly is so damn hard. 

I hope the trazodone works for you. 

Thanks, Cheese.  That is good to know, that you can get used to it then need to give it a break.  I don't plan on taking it every night, just a few nights a week (assuming it works) so I can get some sleep that is more than 1-2 hours at a time.

I hope it works for you.

I had the same experience with trazodone.