CrazyBoards.org

I have a bad habit of every time I've gone IP (seven times), I lie to get out. The reason for this is, I know if I don't lie, I'll be in IP for months. Even when lying it usually takes a good three weeks to get out. Does anyone else have this habit?

Yes I lied last time to get out of being IP too. It does take forever to get out too. I lie that I'm feeling better. Otherwise I would have ended up in a state hospital for a year again. Not something I'm going to do again ever. A whole year wasted.

And I know some people who lie to stay IP. That I don't think I'll ever understand. 

(Accidentally hit the quote button)

I don't understand people who lie to stay IP either. I know some with factitious disorders do that because they like the sympathy they get for being sick. But for people without a factitious disorder to do that...I just don't get.

Yes, I've lied to get out of IP.  I've actually lied to stay inpatient, also.  At the beginning of all the hospitalizations for some reason I wanted to be there.  But eventually I hated it, and would lie to get out.  Also lie to stay out, especially now.

OMG Iied about everything to get out. I was completely delusional and hearing voices. When the doctor asked if I was still hearing voices I lied. I was terrified of getting stuck in the '"system " Looking back on it now it was probably a mistake to do so because a few months later I was back in again. I am sure they knew I was lying, too. AtAthe time all I could think was I have to get the fuck out of here. 

I don't purposely lie, but I do ask to leave. I miss being at home

And I have had times when I think everything is a set up and they know everything so I don't say some things. So they don't know what is really going on in my mond

I hate to admit it, but at the end of my IP stay, I lied about not hearing voices anymore, because I felt that they were never going to let me out, if I told the truth.  All that I could think about other than delusions, was getting the fuck out of there.

Reading this thread makes me feel better, as lying to get out seems more common than I thought.  

I've lied to get out, yes.  I even told them that I would lie to get out.  After 3 days in ICU, and 3 weeks on the psych floor, I had gotten tired of seeing the same walls repeatedly.  They wanted to keep me longer, because they wanted to see if I was adjusting well to the new med dosages, but I could never let that happen.  I would have been there for months!  That was 2009.

Edited by whatsizbucket

• 5 weeks later...

Everyone lies even at their appointments.  The doctors can only give you more medication.  And the medication doesn't make it stop fully.  The doctors need to be retrained in my opinion.  But word is spreading.  I've said that I still hear things and don't get put on more medication. 

I kind of wish I'd stayed in longer because my bad side effects didn't show up until several weeks later.  Basically, as time went by, I got more and more overmedicated until I felt really bad. 
I knew they were overmedicating me, but since I was still slightly delusional I didn't know how to tell them except to say that they were poisoning me pretty much and that I didn't need so much. 

I can totally understand lying to get out and stay out.  Some people are really pushy and control freaks. 

I like that you guys are honest about lying.  :D

Everyone lies even at their appointments.  The doctors can only give you more medication.  And the medication doesn't make it stop fully.  The doctors need to be retrained in my opinion.  But word is spreading.  I've said that I still hear things and don't get put on more medication. 

I don't lie at my appts.  That is one place I don't lie, or at least haven't had to lie yet.  The only time I would lie would be if I was IP or had to go IP.  Otherwise for me the truth always comes out when talking to pdoc, so I just say things because eventually, IME, they'll come out of my mouth anyway.

Edited by melissaw72

Yes. After I reached the two week mark, I was all about how great I was feeling. I needed to be outside. There was no opening windows and we were all locked tight into a little sealed donut of rooms and the big staff desk in the middle. When I asked about getting exercise, they told me 20 something laps around the unit was a mile. I knew at that moment I was going to have to get out of there and i started to lie about everything.

Sometimes (for me) doing things outpatient I am more receptive to, and will do better at as an outpatient.  So if my DR wants me to go IP and I know that I can do this outpatient, I will lie to keep myself out.  I know what it is like to be inpatient and I know I wouldn't do well there.  So I'll do anything to stay out of the hospital.