CrazyBoards.org

I feel that I’m more paranoid than other people are, especially about certain things like the internet and people I don’t know.  I noticed this years before my psychotic break.   I think that paranoia has seriously affected my life, and that it did so long before I had psychotic symptoms.  

Do you feel like you are more paranoid than normal people are, even when your symptoms are controlled?  If you are more paranoid, how do you think it has affected your life?  Is there anything that you’ve found that reduces your paranoia?

I'm not paranoid all the time like I was, but I still am paranoid about someone breaking into my apartment and stealing things.  That is the main one I have.  It affects me because when I am out doing things I am anxious to get back home, thinking someone might have been in my apartment.

Part of this though is true ... my medication was stolen twice, and I heard the person talking about it in the hall saying they'd use it as a "trump card," whatever they meant by that Idk.  I called the police and everything, and told them who I heard talking about it in the hallway (the people who lived directly across the hall).  Eventually they got evicted ... not just because of me, but apparently (I found this out later) they were also doing drugs.  When they left I still was paranoid, but it lessened as time went on.  But it took a long time to even start to lessen.

Nothing in particular reduced the paranoia except those people moving out.  But even after that I still worried about it.  At night what helped the feeling of someone coming in while I was sleeping was totally blocking my doors so that it was literally impossible to get in, in any way.  I also took strong packing tape and taped my windows down so it was impossible to get in unless you broke the glass.  Wasn't the best in terms of being a fire hazard, and I do not recommend doing it.  But at the time it is what helped me.

years before I had a psychotic break, I was accusing my boss of having "secret" meetings, if they had a meeting on my day off. I would go to work, go home. and stay inside all weekend, peeking out to make sure no one was outside to go get my mail. And, I thought that was "normal".

I worry people cyberstalk me, probably to a larger extent than most people. I don 't know if it's paranoia but sometimes i just want to get away from new people. That might be anxiety.

But, I am not having other symptoms or if I am they are mild enough that I am not noticing.

I  have thought about this a lot before. Yes,  I was definitely paranoid before becoming psychotic. I tend to think my paranoia got out of control and that explains my schizophrenia. Then I think... maybe I have had schizophrenia my whole life and it just got worse. I don't know. It is basically a chicken or the egg question... which came first? After my kids were born I became very paranoid about their safety. I believe one of the reasons I got so sick is that, as my kids got older, I started to lose control over them and got very paranoid about them roaming around this horrible world. I want to protect them but I can't and I think it literally drove me crazy. 

I think I'm paranoid more than others, even over the smallest of things, even over something as simple as walking alongside a person. I don't like to walk too close to people, because people generally have harsh--potentially deathly--chemicals on their hands, and if I brush against them, they might transfer to me. So I have paranoia about that. 

I'm overly suspicious of others--often believing that they're thinking bad thoughts about me, or that they're reading my thoughts. Sometimes I felt my thoughts were so loud that I didn't want to leave the house.  I didn't want people to read into my brain, or know stuff. Overall, I think people are either watching me, hate me, or want to harm me. Even now, I can guarantee you that we are all being watched.

To reduce symptoms, I use psychological therapies with my doctor. It involves techniques such as finding ways to distract oneself (like listening to music while in public) or discovering roots of paranoia--such as childhood neglect, abuse, things of that sort. To me this might be more helpful then AAPs. They just make me groggy and depressed.

I think I'm paranoid more than others, even over the smallest of things, even over something as simple as walking alongside a person. I don't like to walk too close to people, because people generally have harsh--potentially deathly--chemicals on their hands, and if I brush against them, they might transfer to me. So I have paranoia about that. 

I'm overly suspicious of others--often believing that they're thinking bad thoughts about me, or that they're reading my thoughts. Sometimes I felt my thoughts were so loud that I didn't want to leave the house.  I didn't want people to read into my brain, or know stuff. Overall, I think people are either watching me, hate me, or want to harm me. Even now, I can guarantee you that we are all being watched.

To reduce symptoms, I use psychological therapies with my doctor. It involves techniques such as finding ways to distract oneself (like listening to music while in public) or discovering roots of paranoia--such as childhood neglect, abuse, things of that sort. To me this might be more helpful then AAPs. They just make me groggy and depressed.

A lot of that pretty much descibes me.

I blocked the camera in my comp before my diagnosis and it remains blocked. I think my good friend likes to watch me by using the camera  and this makes me feel very uncomfortable.

You'd know if the camera was on if the little light next to it is lit up.

I feel that I’m more paranoid than other people are, especially about certain things like the internet and people I don’t know.  I noticed this years before my psychotic break.   I think that paranoia has seriously affected my life, and that it did so long before I had psychotic symptoms.  

Do you feel like you are more paranoid than normal people are, even when your symptoms are controlled?  If you are more paranoid, how do you think it has affected your life?  Is there anything that you’ve found that reduces your paranoia?

I do believe I am more paranoid than people without a SZ diagnosis. It never fully goes away. I am constantly questioning what is true and what has really happened. I mostly think people talk badly about me. I think people are going to steal from me or harm me somehow physically or mentally even. I think people have bad intentions towards me. It is very upsetting to feel like this all the time.

I become agitated and hostile with people when I get really paranoid. I confront people about things that may or may not have actually happened. I know that's not fair to the other people but it all seems so real. And they deny it up and down. Which makes me question if it's my paranoia acting up or whether or not they are lying to me. Meds help me realize that sometimes I am being paranoid. I hate being that way because I want to be positive and optimistic but the paranoia causes me to be so negative and hateful. That's not who I am. When I'm not severely paranoid I am not a hateful person. It's hard.

Meds help reduce the paranoia in that at times I can recognize that I'm being paranoid. Not all the time but sometimes. Therapy can help too because I can reality check with my tdoc. I also have my husband to reality check with. So I'm lucky that I have two people I can do this with.