CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, but it has to do with bipolar rapid cycling that's induced by anti-depressants.

I'm seeing a new pdoc, and he's thinking of putting me on Tofranil (Imipramine), I suppose in place of the Prozac I take. I take the Prozac for my OCD and panic disorders, but he thinks it's responsible for my super rapid cycling: One major mood shift a week (into depression), and sometimes multiple mood shifts a day. I really don't know what he's thinking, but he told me to research Imipramine and see what I thought.

In addition to the Prozac, I'm also taking Lamictal, Valium, and Atarax.

Do any of you have any experience with Imipramine? I've been researching it, and I saw a reference to it sometimes being used for treatment-resistant depression.

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

troop

Thanks for your post sylvan, I was beginning to worry no one was going to respond :D

The main reason I'm on the Prozac is to control my OCD ... I suppose it also helps with my panic disorder and generalized anxiety. Would, or could, Tofranil help with such things? I know that tricyclic antidepressants are old, but what are they good for? I mean, what are they known for helping with? They are completely new to me.

And again thanks for responding :)

Edited by troop111

I've always considered anti-psychotics as the "big guns." What makes you say that about TCAs?

As I'm sure you already know, SNRIs like Effexor have been known to be very difficult to come off of due to withdrawals, which I've experienced personally.

When you mention blood work, it reminds me of certain ACs that require regular blood work to make sure they aren't hurting you. Is this why one would need to have blood work done for Tofranil, or is the "knowing the blood concentration" just a perk of taking the drug?

From the link you sent me, it looks like TCAs hit 3 parts of the brain. I believe that SSRIs only hit one, and SNRIs hit two.

This would make me think that TCAs could be more effective than the latter two, right?

SERT: Serotonin transport
NET: Norepinephrine transport
DAT: Dopamine transport

Edited by troop111

Very interesting. Well I have treatment-resistant mental illnesses, so my new pdoc is trying to think of things to finally break through and help. The Prozac I take causes my BP II to cycle weekly, sometimes daily, but I need it for my OCD and anxiety. So he said "Look up Imipramine, see what you think." He also mentioned Luvox, but I don't know if the latter (or the prior for that matter) would be strong enough to keep my OCD at bay. I currently take 40mg of Prozac.

What do you think?

:)

Edited by troop111

• 2 years later...