CrazyBoards.org

i might go to jail and i feel suicidal

I got a contempt charge ( i missed a court date i didn't realize I had due to my symptoms and being distracted etc and not clear thinking) now i may end up in jail for up to six months. I am freaked out and have been contemplating suicide. Maybe by not drinking or eating anything, it seems the likeliest way I'd do it. I'm really freaked out and I don't want to go to jail. I don't want to kill myself either because I have three kids. I neeed advice 

Call your lawyer asap. I don't know if they would do anything special for you because you missed your court date, but your lawyer has got to do something. Take it easy and slow and don't do anything rash. Don't end your life over a 6 month period that may or may not even happen!

If you have immediate plans for suicide though you need to also contact your pdoc.

Worse case scenario where you do go to jail, it's not forever, it's only temporary. Don't do everything rash like Wonder Cheese said.

You need to underline this reason though. I suggest you write down your reason why in order to explain. You need to give as much information as to why you couldn't attend. 

Edited by Southern Discomfort

It is very, very, very unlikely that you would get 6 months for contempt unless you've had multiple contempt charges in the past. Most likely you will get a fine and a suspended sentence if this is your first offense. I also advise you strongly to get a lawyer. If you can't afford one, contact your local Legal Aid society and see what they advise.

Hopefully you won't have to spend any time in jail at all, but if you do it's not the end of the world. If you have to go, you'll probably get a reduced sentence, and you may even get out early on top of that. If there's any way you can swing it, get into protective custody.

If i were you, I'd go to the hospital right away and consult with the state or county patient advocate while you are there getting better.  You'll be safe in the hospital and they will know how to treat you and they can get in contact with the advocates if you ask for them to.  Peace and goodluck.  Don't give up!  Stay outta jail.

I don't mean to make light of your situation, but it's quite a jump to having those sorts of thoughts over a possible or not possible short jail sentence. Yes, I'm sure it would suck, but are you sure that this event just isn't a trigger for something that might have been there already?