CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
aura

anti-depressant or medication induced mania

Has anyone else here ever experienced an anti-depressant or medication induced manic "switch"? Was it after being diagnosed, or were you diagnosed because of such an episode?

I ask because I was recently re-diagnosed as bipolar following such a switch. My now-previous pdoc felt the diagnosis fit well, considering my reported history. My new pdoc seems to take an entirely different view; he thinks that anti-depressants can cause, in some people, symptoms that mimic mania. He's less interested in my reported history and more in what symptoms I present with at the moment. Needless to say, I'm confused (and as far as I understand, so is the profession of psychiatry on this issue). I am concerned about what this means for my long-term care, so I was hoping to hear some other experiences. 

AD can definitely cause mania in some people. I can't take them but others are able to handle them fine.

I was diagnosed because of my history and current symptoms. I had manic episodes outside the times I've tried antidepressants.

A diagnosis should consider your history, not just your current presentation! 

I was diagnosed as BP after a manic episode with antidepressants, but further episodes happened without ADs later so the diagnosis was confirmed by that. But for a while I was sitting on a diagnosis just on the basis of anti-depressants and a hypomanic reaction to abilify, which doctors aren't supposed to do. 

I was diagnosed after a drug induced mania, but I should add, we were were pretty sure I was bipolar already. SSRIs were new, and because they were considered safer, that is what I was put on (Prozac). That induced a three month long mania.

I agree, you history is as relevant as your presentation if not more so.

I experienced a manic episode because of ADs and they diagnosed me as mood disorder nos even though I told them that I have a history of manic and hypomanic episodes without meds. 

SSRI's led me into a nasty mixed state. I was never as symptomatic prior to taking them.  I was depressed but mania was far and few between.   My Pdoc says basically it brought my bipolar symptoms out of hiding into full bloom. Since last summer I have been trying to get stable again. It did lead to a change in DX.  Previous was MDD and now BP2.   Also my GP was giving me the AD's and once I saw a Pdoc my history made it quite clear I was bipolar. 

I have been given steroids, they caused a hypo manic episode and actually the current med I am trying for depression is causing a hypo manic episode right now, so I will be getting yet another med change. 

I had been having home-grown manias for years before, along with depressions, before I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder; not too long afterwards, I had a fairly spectacular SSRI-induced mania. Since then I've had a couple of minor drug-induced hypo/manias. 

My diagnosis was based on my history and on the way I was when I showed up at my first pdoc's for my first appointment.

I became manic even without an AD in the mix. 

When AD's were added I tended to get worse though. As in zoloft made me full blown manic.

I know there are a lot of different opinions on this issue. Some people with BP can handle AD's though too. Just wanted to point that out.

Do you get manic without AD's?

When AD's were added I tended to get worse though. As in zoloft made me full blown manic.

I know there are a lot of different opinions on this issue. Some people with BP can handle AD's though too. Just wanted to point that out.

It's complicated. I've been working with a psychiatrist for less than a year, and I went in originally for OCD, not mood problems. When I was experiencing the AD-induced mania, however, I knew that I had felt that way before. I guess I just didn't know what constituted mania. I remember telling my pdoc: "this is hypomania?!? Hell yea I've felt this way before!" So my doctors have only ever seen me in that manic state. My partner of 5 years is completely convinced that I've been manic before. I can identify clear periods of time when I spent excess money, felt euphoric, was hypersexual, and acted in ways that would potentially or did actually cause serious damage. The problem is that I don't think my current pdoc really cares so much about this information. I've never been hospitalized for mania, so I don't have any official record.

It's complicated. I've been working with a psychiatrist for less than a year, and I went in originally for OCD, not mood problems. When I was experiencing the AD-induced mania, however, I knew that I had felt that way before. I guess I just didn't know what constituted mania. I remember telling my pdoc: "this is hypomania?!? Hell yea I've felt this way before!" So my doctors have only ever seen me in that manic state. My partner of 5 years is completely convinced that I've been manic before. I can identify clear periods of time when I spent excess money, felt euphoric, was hypersexual, and acted in ways that would potentially or did actually cause serious damage. The problem is that I don't think my current pdoc really cares so much about this information. I've never been hospitalized for mania, so I don't have any official record.

Yes, the diagnosis process is very complicated. I hope you get it all sorted out. I have been, but I don't think you need to be hospitalized for mania to be diagnosed bipolar. Some with bipolar have not even been hospitalized once because they get lucky with the med-go-round right away and have mild symptoms. 

One last idea, can you get your partner to talk to your pdoc? You may need to sign a release of information but if partner can tell pdoc about your other manic periods then your pdoc may listen better. I don't know why that is but it happens to me too. They take the sane person seriously and don't even really listen to the crazee person. Ugh. I hope your pdoc will just listen to you though for pete's sake and not just listen when your partner calls.

Hypomania and mood swings, nervousness, anxiety Induced with Sertraline, but not stayed enough for a manic episode SSRIs.

Nervousness and headaches with bupropion, tried twice and quit before working properly.

The problems with amitriptyline not related to mood but made me stop: weight gain, drowsiness and blurry vision. 

I'm currently using Ritalin for bipolar depression but I'm thinking about trying something new, got have in mind I'm sensitive to anti depressants.