CrazyBoards.org

When will things calm down?

How long after starting treatment did it take for your moods to settle down? Did episodes ever become less frequent? 

I was diagnosed with BP1 properly about 5 months ago. I'd had patches of suicidal ideation and low moods on and off for over a decade, but severe mood symptoms really started about 4 months before my BP1 diagnosis. Since having a major depressive episode, I've had a manic episode, numerous hypomanias and numerous periods of low moods (which could be situational depression, I don't know). I think I've had something like 7 or 8 episodes in the last year, though quite a few of those could be the tail end of the manic episode, and some were induced by medication changes. Most have been quite short. Even so, I'm tired of my moods going up and down. 

Yeah, it really varies from person to person. Sometimes you luck out, and get it the first or second try. Sometimes is can take years. I know that isn't comforting, but I don't want you to be misled.

It is likely you will improve fairly soon, and then take some time tweaking meds to try to get things perfect. There are no guarantees, though.

That is part of the reason you should be seeing a therapist, as well, so you have some non-medical support.

How long after starting treatment did it take for your moods to settle down? Did episodes ever become less frequent? 

There wasn't really a time frame where my moods settled down after medication.  It just kind of happened, but then my moods didn't stay settled down; they were lessened, but not completely gone.  The episodes still happened, but with the meds they did improve *kind of* ... some days are better than others.