CrazyBoards.org

Marriage rights extended to all

I'm so freaking excited!! This is such a historical day. It was already legal in the state I live in, but I'm glad it's now legal in the whole country, as it should have been the whole time!

Destro- The most polite way I can put this is: Don't be such a negative nancy. I shouldn't of even gave you the time of a response, but tons of the LGBT community have been fighting for this for years. The simple human right to marry who they love. I guess it's a good thing you're just concerned with what's on daytime television.

Gay marriage isn't marriage equality. Just saying. It doesn't include trans people. We still can't marry. Not without a correct birth certificate, which in most places means surgery. And if we are already married we must divorce until such a time we have a correct birth certificate. 

Yeah, I'm not American, but this rule is the same in most countries, or similar. Yeah it's great that gay couples can marry, and bisexual people can marry, but its not marriage equality. 

I'm confused. Why isn't it marriage equality for trans people too?

Doesn't it translate to a trans man being able to marry a (cis or trans) woman or a (cis or trans) man? And the same for a trans woman?

I understand there are numerous problems, probably more than I can recognize, with trans people's rights.  But I don't see how this is still one of them?

(apologies if this is offensive in any way. I don't mean it to be so.)

Gender is now irrelevant in determining the legitimacy of a marriage. Nobody would have to have a corrected birth certificate because regardless of what the sex is listed as, that person can marry any other (cis or trans) adult person that they would like.

Well as far as I am aware if the trans person wants a proper marriage, they need a correct birth certificate or they will be deemed straight when they are in fact gay/bi, or gay/bi when they are straight. So if I was to marry a man right now, it would be considered a straight marriage because of my birth certificate. I am not straight, or what my birth certificate says. 

Well as far as I am aware if the trans person wants a proper marriage, they need a correct birth certificate or they will be deemed straight when they are in fact gay/bi, or gay/bi when they are straight. So if I was to marry a man right now, it would be considered a straight marriage because of my birth certificate. I am not straight, or what my birth certificate says. 

Now in the US, marriage is marriage. Doesn't matter what is written on your birth certificate. There are no separate classifications as "gay marriage" and "straight marriage."

Yeah but that doesn't mean that trans people can't get married. What the hell does it matter what society labels the relationship as, gay or straight? There is legally no difference between being in a gay marriage or a straight marriage. It's not like you get labeled as a hetero based on your spouse's birth certificate.

I'm still having trouble following this argument.

I didn't have to marry as any "sex" when I got married in October. My wife and I just provided our names and address and etc as "spouse 1" and "spouse 2." Gender does not come into play with it at all. I absolutely did not have to reference my birth certificate or any legal documentation except for my photo ID. I understand that you're saying that it's difficult to get a corrected birth certificate. We all know that, and it sucks. What we are trying to explain is that even if your birth certificate has the "wrong" sex listed, it doesn't preclude that marriage from occuring, meaning marriage equality is marriage equality for trans people too because nobody cares about which gender a person identifies as, regardless of their birth certificate.

It should be easier to have a birth certificate corrected. That just has nothing to do with marriage. 

Okay, but to me it seems like a matter of paper work.  It doesn't negate the fact that the US made a huge leap forward today...

Anyway, let's focus on the important issues... New seasons of Divorce Court...

Edited by koa
  • Like 1

Forget it. America can have all its glory. 

Here it isn't that way. 

To get married here, a trans person must have had a registered name change on their birth certificate, must have commenced treatment in order to correct their name and sex with everything besides their birth cert first, then to change their sex on their birth cert, they must have been on hormones for at least one year, received psychiatric approval for both top surgery and sterilisation surgery, had both surgeries, have written documentation of both the psychiatric approvals and the surgeries, a surgeon report for both surgeries and have been assessed by the Family Court. 

If they are already in a marriage, they must divorce their partner if all of the above has not yet occurred and stay divorced until such a time that they are completed in order to marry their partner again. 

But yeah, congratulations America. As per fucking usual.