CrazyBoards.org

How is it marriage equality if it doesn't include trans people? It doesn't say anything about trans people no longer having to get surgery and divorce their partner if they are already married to re-marry. 

I'm not saying it doesn't, it just doesn't state anything about trans people, which if it doesn't, isn't marriage equality. 

How is it marriage equality if it doesn't include trans people? It doesn't say anything about trans people no longer having to get surgery and divorce their partner if they are already married to re-marry. 

I'm not saying it doesn't, it just doesn't state anything about trans people, which if it doesn't, isn't marriage equality. 

I'm not sure I understand. I don't know that anyone's required to have surgery to get married (I could be wrong, of course), but I am sure that everyone is required to divorce their partner to get remarried. 

I believe what Hopelessly Broken is referring to is the ambiguous legal atmosphere some married transgender people face when it comes to spousal rights and benefits, and rights concerning children, especially if a transgender change is undergone after a marriage has taken place.  The situation is not treated the same everywhere.  The Human Rights Campaign has an article on the subject here.  While this most recent Supreme Court decision does not address this issue specifically, one hopes that the philosophical groundwork it lays down might provide a basis for positive future rulings.

Have you taken the time to read the decision? And, remember this decision was made by the Supreme court of the United States. It does not cover other nations. It is not meant to be universal. No where in the USA are surgical procedures required to marry.

This is a discussion about, for, and by the US.

Knock it off, Hopelessly Broken. People are celebrating a major legal victory in the US. Recently Ireland did the same thing. 

If you want to start another thread about trans marriage in Australia, you are more than welcome to do so.

FWIW the province of Ontario (which is in Canada) celebrated a major trans-folk victory yesterday which was very much overshadowed by the US. Do you know about it? Would you like to?

See, I could get all annoyed about other people not recognising Canadian accomplishment (our tenth year anniversary for allowing same-gender marriage is July 20th! 4th country in the world!) but I'm not. We still have so much further to go. ALL of us do, regardless of nation. But that doesn't mean that we can't celebrate, too. Hard work without celebration leads to burn out. I've had enough activist fatigue to last a lifetime. So sometimes I need to party it out for a couple of hours. And that's okay. It doesn't negate how much further we still need to go. 

FWIW the province of Ontario (which is in Canada) celebrated a major trans-folk victory yesterday which was very much overshadowed by the US. Do you know about it? Would you like to?

See, I could get all annoyed about other people not recognising Canadian accomplishment (our tenth year anniversary for allowing same-gender marriage is July 20th! 4th country in the world!) but I'm not. We still have so much further to go. ALL of us do, regardless of nation. But that doesn't mean that we can't celebrate, too. Hard work without celebration leads to burn out. I've had enough activist fatigue to last a lifetime. So sometimes I need to party it out for a couple of hours. And that's okay. It doesn't negate how much further we still need to go. 

Each time a province, state, or country ratifies equal marriage is adds stability and strength to the foundation. I agree that there is a long ways to go. But a good start has been made with Ontario, Ireland, and the USA.

So, let's do celebrate for what had been accomplished as well as for what remains to be done. Does anyone have some sparklers?

Naw, we've had marriage for ten years. But we've knocked down one more trans gatekeeper in our medical system! Yay! - although no one knows about it, even here.

And that's just it. Yes we have a lot more to do. Yes there are plenty of folks talking about it. And good for them. It's perfectly alright to need a nap every once in a while, too.