CrazyBoards.org

Blenders?

Ok, not exactly an electronic device. 

This morning, I finally  burned out the motor in the blender we got as a wedding gift 9 years ago.

Anyone have a kick ass blender they like, especially for making smoothies?

PS- It's REALLY hard for me not to make cylon jokes about frackin' toasters...

Edited by Wooster

Woo -

I was given a NutriBullet for Christmas and it works wonderfully for smoothies.  I especially like the fact that it allows me to drink salads, which I would otherwise loathe.  I call it my glass of 'Soylent Green', or 'Soylent Purple' if I add blueberries.

Rabbit I adore willing lend! Thanks for the share. Reminds me of a guy I know who puts stuff in microwaves.

olga I guess they don't make em like they used to

koa I already have a food processor but good idea

Cerb. I have head people liking the bullet. Does it have a large capacity as well? *goes to bing*

Mine's just a cheapie Hamilton Beach 10 speed, but I've put it through its paces for the last year and it still works perfectly well. I really like it. It does have a smoothie setting, too. 

Hmm....

$120 for the 900 watt nutribullet

$10 for thrift store blender of unknown origins (I have one of these at my work apartment; so far it's going ok)

$30 for Hamilton Beach with glass jar

$40 for Cuisinart with glass jar on clearance (normally $80). Several reviews say they have been working for 10+ years. Sadly, I can't go to the store to pick one up. I would have to order it on line. Which doesn't solve my "I WANT A SMOOTHIE NOW SO I DON'T EAT ALL THE EFFIN ICE CREAM!"

I have a 20% off coupon for Bed Bath and Beyond but it's only good in stores. I may take a hike down there this afternoon to see what they have.

The part where it has stopped working is the connection between the blender base and the bottom of the blender blades. They are both not so super hard plastic and have started to wear away. It's like when your transmission starts to wear out and the gears aren't meshing like they used to.

Edited by Wooster

Ninja looks exceptional, however it's about $200 out of my price range right now.

ETA...Oh, I guess maybe not. I'll have to check them out when I go to the store and see what their parts look like.

Edited by Wooster

I have a kitchenaid blender that seems to work fine. Unlike most blenders, the base Does not come apart from the glass jar. It's easy to clean as a result, and I put the whole thing in the dishwasher. I usually only use it to make Large batches of curry pastes and frozen margaritas. My real workhorse is the magic bullet, which I've had for 8 years, I think. I use that for Grinding spices or wet masalas, making whipped cream, blending fruit for yogurt or sauces, making tomato purée, and pretty much anything that I don't need a whole lot of. Another device I use a lot is the immersion blender, which I mostly use to blend soups. I don't make smoothies with any of them, but I think they would work ok for that.

Woo, did you find one that you could afford?  I checked mine last night---it's an Osterizer.  All original parts, too.

I use my food processor for big jobs like slicing cukes for pickles, or shredding carrots for a carrot salad.  When I make an iced drink with coffee and ice cubes, the blender does the best job.  I also have a mini-chopper from Black & Decker that's great for jobs with 1 cup of ingredients or less.

olga

I decided to support our local market and get one there. I think it's a Hamilton Beach and eventually it will run into the same problem of the "gears" on the bottom of the blades not meshing up appropriately with the motor base. However, if it runs for a few years of smoothie making and soup blending, I'm good with that.

It has an ice crush function that helps to get things started, and auto sensors for not burning the motor out. Two smoothies in and we're doing ok.

I think my mom had an Osterizer when I was growing up. It was a BEAST! :)

(PS-I'm the same age as your blender... Now I feel old.) Edited by Wooster

he he....Hamilton Beach is supposed to be a good one.  Yeah, my Osterizer has made Margaritas and my hot weather coffee for years. (coffee, skim milk, and ice cubes---no fat and sort of like a slushy).

Do you have an immersion blender?  I was thinking of getting one to use in soups.

olga

Our Hamilton Beach is 30+ years old.  Granted, it doesn't get daily/heavy duty use as it splits time with our Cuisinart food processor.  These two comprise the work horses of our kitchen.  Best purchases ever.  Having said that I'll probably blow both of them up later this week...the Power of Positive Pessimism.

he he....Hamilton Beach is supposed to be a good one.  Yeah, my Osterizer has made Margaritas and my hot weather coffee for years. (coffee, skim milk, and ice cubes---no fat and sort of like a slushy).

Do you have an immersion blender?  I was thinking of getting one to use in soups.

olga

olga

oh, you should defintely get one of those for soups. It's  A lot less fuss than cooling and transferring to a blender in batches, and It's much easier to clean up after. You can also use it to make pestos, mayo, hummus, whipped cream, and whatnot (even hollandaise), although I generally use the magic bullet for those things. 

I hear immersion blenders are the way to go.

Maybe if I'm REALLY good this year, Santa will bring me one for Christmas.

I have a kitchenaid one with multiple speeds and a detachable wand (so you can put it in the dishwasher for easy cleaning). BUT the bottom of the wand is metal and can scratch your pots and pans if you have nonstick and are not careful. A regular one with an all-plastic integrated wand is plenty easy to clean up And you don't have those worries (plus it costs less).

Edited by Flash

I had Flash reach above the 'fridge and get our blender down. It was my Grans, so it will make you feel old, Woo! It is all metal, even has a metal blender jar. It has a braided cord and an ebonite plug.

It is brand marked Ge/General Electric and works just like it was meant to. I have bought a couple of blades for it over the years and it chops ice as fine as could be desired.

I had an immersion blender and it worked well for a time, but certainly not as long as it should and never did blend as well as I thought it should.

An immersion blender should get you a blend that's plenty fine, but you might have to go at it a bit longer than if using a traditional blender. I can't recall an instance where I couldn't get the desired consistency. If you are trying for a superfine vichyssoise consistency, you may need to pass it through a fine chinois (but this is the case with a blender too).