CrazyBoards.org

So my pdoc is trying me on Buspar. She is starting me on 5mg twice a day and wants me to call in a week. If it works she'll increase then. She didn't seem super optimistic. Should I expect to notice anything within a week? It seems like a short test.

it can take three to four weeks to work so that is somewhat of a short test. for those for whom it does work, it can start working within a couple days, though (or so i've read).

Edited by cosima

I'm not a doctor, but from what I experienced and from what I've read, 10 mg of Buspar is not going to do much. I've read people taking up to 60 mg per day and 30 mg is common which is what I took. It also takes time to work, maybe even several weeks.

She is very cautious with introducing meds since I tend to react badly more often than not. She seemed especially hesitant about Buspar for some reason. I am just coming off a med induced mania so that could be why the tiny dose. But I'd like a fair shot at it working.

Buspar is a very sly med. I didn't even notice how it was helping me until I stopped. Definately had a positive effect on me - reducing my anxiety - but one of the side effects just got worse and worse - dizziness. That is why I stopped. I don't remember how much I was taking. Many people find Buspar totally ineffective but we are all so different.  Going slow is a good idea if you are sensitive to meds.