CrazyBoards.org

I have an extremely difficult time with multi-tasking. I can only do one task at a time and even than I start feeling confused and frustrated. It takes a lot of mental effort to even complete one task usually.

I also can't seem to comprehend simple instructions and such. It's why I can't cook my own meals.

It's difficult to make decisions too. Even simple decisions like what I want to eat for dinner. It feels impossible really.

I've been feeling depressed about all of this because it makes me feel stupid and worthless. I feel like I won't ever amount to anything because I can't even do something simple.

I guess the main point of my post was that I am feeling worried over this. Is this temporary or permament and can get worse? What could be causing this? I don't believe it's the meds because this has been going on quite awhile now.

I also had an IQ test done some time ago and it said my IQ was in the below average range. That was hard to hear. I used to want to be a doctor but it turns out I'm really stupid. Hell, I have never even been to college and probably never will be able to. It just saddens me greatly.

I had a psych-educational test done last summer as well. I am below average intelligence too. The psychologist especially wanted me to see a speech language pathologist to help with my disorganized thinking and inability to get my words organized and out. I kept telling her "I know what I want to say, I just can't get it out". 

I have trouble following books, tv shows, I can't sit through a whole movie. I definitely can't do school work. 

I can't tell you if it gets better or worse. When I was younger I was a good student. Mostly A's and B's. Now I look at that time and wonder how I ever got those marks at all. 

I guess all I really want to say is, you're not alone. There's others out there that struggle with cognition due to Schizophrenia/Schizoaffective. And I happen to be one of the lucky ones.... Lol. Anyway, if you ever wanna talk, I'm here :)

I am sorry you are feeling so bad. From your post you sound very articulate and organized in your thinking. I wouldn’t worry about your IQ test or not going to college too much. Some of the world's most successful people never went to college. If you like medicine why don't you try getting a job in the field that doesn't require a college degree? Then, if you like it, you can try to get a higher degree that supports your career choice. What I am trying to say is if you limit yourself, based on these things, you will miss perhaps a chance to do what you want to do. Don't let these things stop you. You can probably do much more than you think. 

Well I have nearly a degree from college and when my IQ was tested at a state hospital it was below average. That was a hard blow to handle. I know how you feel. Now my student loans are being forgiven because I'm too crazy to ever finish my degree. So I can never go back to school or get any student loans ever again. It's permanent and complete disability discharge. Makes me feel stupid and worthless too.

I don't know what can be done cognitively for people with SZ disorders like us. I heard latuda was good for that but I became manic on it so that was a no-go. I feel so stupid all the time. I swear I never used to have a below average IQ. I swear I was smart or at least smarter! I had a 3.9 GPA in high school and college too. I scored decently on the SAT's. WTF happened to my brain? It's not fair.

Have you tried therapy or those brain games yet? Even like crossword puzzles are supposed to help. Thinking of you surreal!

All I know is that antipsychotic meds can interfere with proper memory functioning, because it happened to me.  Something like that could make a person seem less smart than they really are.  And of course symptoms could also cause a heck of a lot of distraction, making life difficult too.  Don't blame yourself and don't be too hard on yourself. 

I refuse to ever take an IQ test. I don't need to know. I have trouble holding onto people's words, my memory is really crap, and I do feel a lot duller than I once was. I just don't need to have that confirmed by some number.

I find what keeps me sharper than I would be otherwise is engaging in something challenging. I read, I paint, I write, I volunteer at a museum... just feed your brain, even if you have to feed it a bit slower.  When I don't challenge myself for a long period of time, I get worse.